Menu

Explode the Code Users... C'mere!

I don't have the cards, but I think theTM is helpful. Has good lessons to do with the kids to introduce the new content. I feel like it saves time, really, by addressing potential confusion before it surfaces. We often did the lessons on whiteboards, which the kids enjoyed. Ds6 is doing ETC1.5 right now so we don't do the lessons as it is all review, but when we start ETC2 again I will pull it out. It is definitely worth the cheap price, IMO. :001_smile:

Edited by mindygz
Annoying autocorrection typo

I use the teacher's manual and I find it helpful. It has some phonemic awareness practice (putting sounds together into words and taking words apart into sounds). It also goes over a few words that kids might not know (like "slip" being a thin skirt under a dress or skirt). It helps us because dd does ETC independently while I work with ds. If I give her book to her before I've done the lesson from the teacher's manual, it is usually more difficult or she has more questions. If I was just working with her as she did it, the teacher's manual wouldn't be necessary.

I don't use the cards, so I don't know if they are helpful or not.

I bought the teacher's guide for books 1 and 2. I used it for the post-tests. I then decided that I could wing the post-tests for the rest of series.

I think the usefulness of the teacher's guide depends on how you plan to use the program. If your child is a non-reader and ETC will be your sole or primary phonics instruction, the teacher's guide could be very useful. It contains additional lessons, including sentences for copywork or dictation. The guide also tells you how to use the cards.

If you are using ETC as a supplement or review program, the workbooks alone are sufficient.

Good Morning! :)

I bought the teachers guide for 1 and 2 but never found them necessary. Especially since we were doing OPGTR and AAS as well. We really just use ETC for the workbook pages.

:iagree: However, I do pull out the TM's for the Post Tests.

If you are going to use ETC exclusively, I would recommend them. Had I known all that ETC offered in the TM's, I might have used it for phonics/handwriting/vocabulary and spelling. At that point, I had already purchased other curriculum that I was happy with so ETC was (and still is) used as a supplement.

I hope that helps! :)

I think the usefulness of the teacher's guide depends on how you plan to use the program. If your child is a non-reader and ETC will be your sole or primary phonics instruction, the teacher's guide could be very useful. It contains additional lessons, including sentences for copywork or dictation. The guide also tells you how to use the cards.

If you are using ETC as a supplement or review program, the workbooks alone are sufficient.

:iagree: I have used it as a time-filler and review for my workbook-loving dd. When she was pre-K she did the Get Ready, Get Set, and Go For the Code books because she wanted to "do school" with the rest of us. Now, she's 1st grade and she just finished Phonics Pathways. She's on ETC 5 which we use again as reinforcement of stuff she's already learned.