Menu

What would your dream K-3 science program be like?

JumpyTheFrog

What would your dream K-3 science program include?  

1. 1. What would your dream K-3 science program include?

• Copywork related to content
    • Dictation related to content
    • Book lists for more info on each topic
    • Experiments to do
    • Coloring pages or crafts related to subject
    • Oral review questions
    • Independent worksheets/tests
    • Be written like a textbook
    • Topical/unit studies, order of topics is flexible
    • Be written like a story, with discoveries related to historical events

It would be fun, hands on, self teaching, all inclusive, no busy work, several activity suggestions, complete with experiment kits that are actually interesting, and come with a detailed lesson plan, list of resources/books and spell out word for word what to do.

I hate teaching science and it is supposed to be fun. I suck (for lack of better wording) at making it interesting because no one did that for me.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot like SOTW.

It would have a central, well-written narrative spine. Not like a story focused on history, like Joy Hakim's Story of Science, but focused on the science (though a small dose of history is fine too). A bit like some of the older books about science and nature that would be lovely, except they're woefully out of date. Unlike SOTW, I think decent illustrations are key, but they should add to the text, not detract. No weird text boxes like an eyewitness book. The spine should be good enough to be enjoyed on its own without anything else to go with it.

Then accompanying it would be an activity guide with a wide variety of resources and a flexibility in implementation. An accompanying book list at different levels. A video list (I find the visuals more important with science). Narration exercises and review questions, maybe tests too. A couple of quality color and label type pages for each unit. Crafty stuff like the Ellen McHenry curricula. Demonstration experiments like in the Janice VanCleave books. And finally ways to explore the science behind things. I'm especially fond of the Bernie Zubrowski Boston Children's Museum Activity Books as an example of this - open ended, exploration activities.

I know I'm being a little "everything but the kitchen sink" but I think, first of all, go along book and video lists wouldn't be that long, nor would review questions or the like. I think if you limit it to 2-4 crafty type things (build a cell model with jell-o!) per unit, 4-6 demo experiment things (check out onion cells in your microscope!), and 2-4 exploration ideas (here's how to set up a petri dish and here's some ideas of things to try and grow!), then that's a reasonable amount of stuff to include. For me, flexibility in how you implement something like that is key. I feel like there are a lot of science curricula where you're expected to do the whole program - here's the book, here's the worksheet, here's the two projects - kind of thing. Whereas there are often lots of ways to explore things.

I would like several short and interesting books to read, a fun and easy experiment or demonstration to do, and a fun video to watch.

I would like these to arrive packaged together, in a separate package for each unit, containing everything we need to do the unit, delivered by UPS each Tuesday afternoon, ready for us to do on Wednesday morning. :tongue_smilie:

That would be ideal !

You didn't ask, but I would need it to be secular. And, not just 'we don't take a stand on evolution' kind of secular either.

Oh yeah. That too. :D

What would this be like? Relating sciencific principles in chronological order, as they were discovered? I haven't read Joy Hakim's books, but aren't they supposedly like this?

I don't think that's the hallmark of what makes SOTW work. It's in chronological order because that's the best way to study history. But it's not the best way to study science (unless you want to study the history of science - an excellent topic, but a little different). I really think the central well-written spine plus the flexible, multiple activity and resourced activity guide is what makes SOTW SOTW.

When i first read the thread title, the image that came to mind was of a young hot male post-doc showing up to teach the kids, including setting up, performing, and cleaning up after experiments while I just watch. :D Hey, you said "dream," so why not dream big....

:lol:

Okay, in my version of this, scratch the UPS guy delivering a kit. And young hotness is not a requirement. Just send Bill Nye. DS2 wanted me to invite Bill to his bday party ! Having him show up to teach science once a week would be perfect ! Yes, ideal. :)

What would this be like? Relating sciencific principles in chronological order, as they were discovered? I haven't read Joy Hakim's books, but aren't they supposedly like this?

I would not make a main science program chronological. If you wanted to write a supplemental program to go along with SOTW, chronological would be great and I think it would probably be a hit. I don't think it would work as a main science program for most people though.

I don't think that's the hallmark of what makes SOTW work. It's in chronological order because that's the best way to study history. But it's not the best way to study science (unless you want to study the history of science - an excellent topic, but a little different). I really think the central well-written spine plus the flexible, multiple activity and resourced activity guide is what makes SOTW SOTW.

Right. This is one place where the flow chart from BFSU would be useful. I would kill for a book that flows chapter by chapter through the disciplines as naturally as they occur in reality. I envision a spiraling science program which could easily and logically lead from the Big Bang and the formation of the universe (physical science, earth and space science) to evolution (life science) to a study of fossils (earth with some archaeology and anthropology on the side?), to a study of rocks (earth science), to the periodic table (chemistry), to states of matter (physical science), to the weather cycle (earth science), to seasons and the life cycle of plants (earth then life science) to the life cycle of people and animals to blah blah blah blah blah... One topic would lead to another, each laying a solid foundation of fundamental knowledge that would maximize understanding of subsequent lessons. In other words, it should feel like a logical progression through the topics, not fragmented bits of info.

Yes to secular. Oh, and add a goodly portion of inquiry, please. :D

Please, do get on that. :tongue_smilie:

I think the dream PK through 2nd science curriculum is a backyard garden, a dirt patch to dig in, and an animal to take care of. ;)

:iagree: My dream science would start with nature study and it would not include pre-organized experiments. But, then, we are very pleased with our combo of nature study and BFSU. I am not searching for anything more or different for the next few years.

Topical presentation and flexibility in jumping topics a la BFSU - threads

Well planned lessons and ideas presented a la BFSU and Singapore

Activities and demonstrations when necessary, corresponding videos of demonstrations and experiments if these happen not to take place

Plenty of opportunity and encouragement to relate to the child's world and environment

Plenty of opportunity and encouragement to go outdoors and explore and discover

Making connections

Important points to remember

Visuals, attractive presentation a la Singapore Science

Some writing in activities, research, sheets that are truly relevant to and expand the topic, again a la Singapore

Copywork and in third grade dictation also of important points

Booklists and web links to visit and expand the lesson

For now, I find the most key aspects of what I look in a science curriculum in the combination of BFSU and Singapore Science. I will be trying that next year with my K dd (BFSU K-2 and Singapore Start-Up Science).

From 1st onward I will add my own copywork and web links.

Edited by sagira

I would like a "spine" like SOTW (not chronological, but well written and interesting) that also has resource lists like SOTW (additional science reading and additional related literature) and projects/experiments.

I like my science to be creation based or neutral. In a dream world this science curriculum would have 2-3 spines on the same topic/level, one that assumes evolution, one that assumes creationism, and one that remains neutral. The additional resources could be the same, with notes like "book assumes evolution or has evolution references" or "book assumes creationism or is religious in nature" etc.