Menu

Atlas Shrugged - the movie

I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters so I am cautiously enthusiastic :001_smile: Have you seen it? Is it true to the book? I want dh to watch if it is because he couldn't get through the book.

I haven't seen it. Far as I can tell it didn't make it to Aus. :glare: It's just part 1 so far...

From the reviews and trailers (check out youtube) it looks pretty darn close to the book - looks like the did a really good job.

I got DH to start reading it too, he's about half-way through now!

Karen - I'm buying it for sure (shipping here is pretty reasonable), 1 copy for me, 1 for my mum!

Lol Halcyon! I'm in count-down mode! I was so excited when I heard about it I ran to shake DH awake to tell him - he started reading the book that morning ;)

A transcendently awful novel, promoting a vicious ideology of narcissism, turned into one of the most boring (from all reports, as I'm not going to waste my time or money on such crap) movies of all time.

Not excited :D

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bill

Lol, it's not everyone's cup of tea. :D

A transcendently awful novel, promoting a vicious ideology of narcissism, turned into one of the most boring (from all reports, as I'm not going to waste my time or money on such crap) movies of all time.

Bill

A negative review from Bill is akin to putting something on my "buy immediately" list.

:tongue_smilie:

A negative review from Bill is akin to putting something on my "buy immediately" list.

:tongue_smilie:

The irony of your dollars going to support one of the most anti-Christian ideological movements in modern history.

From "Conservapedia" (a source I won't quote often :tongue_smilie:)

http://conservapedia.com/Ayn_Rand

Rand's philosophy was anti-Christian to the point of even declaring that "faith, as such, is extremely detrimental to human life: it is the negation of reason." Such an anti-faith perspective necessarily led to the moral relativism seen among her followers. For example, the movement she founded supports an "absolute right" to abortion at any time during pregnancy, including partial-birth abortion. Ayn Rand's philosophy and followers also support a "right" to have same-sex marriage, and opposed California's Proposition 8 defining marriage as between one man and woman.

Rand was an atheist and opponent of traditional family values, who personally adhered more to Hollywood Values than conservative ones. She was a strident opponent of altruism. As far back as 1957, Whittaker Chambers denounced the “wickedness” of Atlas Shrugged in National Review, and Dr. Gabe Vertin derided her "senseless self-aggrandizement."

Bill

Rand's philosophy was anti-Christian to the point of even declaring that "faith, as such, is extremely detrimental to human life: it is the negation of reason." Such an anti-faith perspective necessarily led to the moral relativism seen among her followers. For example, the movement she founded supports an "absolute right" to abortion at any time during pregnancy, including partial-birth abortion. Ayn Rand's philosophy and followers also support a "right" to have same-sex marriage, and opposed California's Proposition 8 defining marriage as between one man and woman.

Rand was an atheist and opponent of traditional family values, who personally adhered more to Hollywood Values than conservative ones. She was a strident opponent of altruism. As far back as 1957, Whittaker Chambers denounced the “wickedness” of Atlas Shrugged in National Review, and Dr. Gabe Vertin derided her "senseless self-aggrandizement.

This is pretty much all true, but I still find Rand to be an important thinker and author with many relevant points. I loved Atlas Shrugged and feel it is a very important piece of literature. Many bold thinkers and philosophers who have crystallized important ideas are, as a byproduct, narrow-minded and arrogant. What's new?

That said, I was not impressed with the Atlas Shrugged film.

This is pretty much all true, but I still find Rand to be an important thinker and author with many relevant points. I loved Atlas Shrugged and feel it is a very important piece of literature.

That said, I was not impressed with the film.

Really? You don't think the propensity of human beings to be selfish, narcissistic, and uncharitable aren't highly developed enough? This sort of egoism needs encouragement???

Her ideology is the opposite of chesed and tzedakah. Bad values.

Bill

followers also support a "right" to have same-sex marriage, and opposed California's Proposition 8 defining marriage as between one man and woman.

I haven't familiarized myself with the modern objectivist movement, but I would expect that diehard Randians not promote same-sex marriage so much as reject the idea of a government definition of marriage of any kind.

The pure Randian would, as I understand it, maintain that all adults relationships should be at all times defined by the free will and consent. They would conclude, I suspect, that the government has absolutely no place putting legal constraints on any human relationship and reject the idea of marriage as a government institution.

Really? You don't think the propensity of human beings to be selfish, narcissistic, and uncharitable aren't highly developed enough? This sort of egoism needs encouragement?

The selfishness, narcissism, and greed of most people today goes along with a sense of entitlement and complete lack of ambition. Her philosophy challenges that. She is highly critical of the looter, the person who is selfish at the expense of others and without investing their own individual effort.

The essence of her philosophy goes beyond one-step thinking, her characters and plots providing an illustration of how when individuals act collectively in their own honorable self-interest, society benefits.

Now, she does take her philosophy to an extreme that I reject. From everything I know about her, she was a troubled individual, possibly with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. But, that doesn't render her ideas or her literature irrelevant. Many of the characters in her novels are selfish and self-righteous under the pretense of being charitable, and I think that is a highly important idea to think about. I believe in charity, but I also believe that smug philanthropy can ultimately end up doing more harm than good. Smug philanthropy doesn't consider whether the outcome is worth the cost. I try to imagine the quantity of refuse sitting in landfills with variations of "Save the Planet" printed on it. I do think there is an epidemic right now where people believe ethics = "believing the right thing" rather than "doing the right thing." While I certainly have some pointed criticism of Rand's ethics, at least her ethics are achievement and action-based rather than feelings-based.

Edited by zenjenn

Dh and I saw it at the theater. I am not a follower, though I lean libertarian and can appreciate many of her points (in order to make a point against an extreme in one direction, you sometimes have to go extreme in the other, as we often see in art and literature,) but I think it is an influential work of literature and am always interested to see how someone else "pictures" a work I have read.

As a pp said, if you like the novel, you will like it. It is tediously true to the book, down to exact quotes, it seemed. If you don't appreciate the novel, it's just a low budget movie with a slow plot and lots of dialogue. :D If someone isn't willing to read the novel, but wanted to know the basic concept, the movies might be a good alternative, though you might want to wait until they are all out.

yeah, I'm still super excited. Good to see some other Rand-likers around.

Just FYI, I am a Christian. I loved atlas shrugged and the fountainhead. Some of the best books I've ever read. I'm still a Christian after reading them.:D (and I did read every word, including the 50 page speech ;))

ZennJenn, I like your thoughts on this. While I think her philosophy is far from perfect, IMO she makes some very interesting and important points.

Bill

Don't judge a book by it's movie's critics.

The irony of your dollars going to support one of the most anti-Christian ideological movements in modern history.

Bill

Just FYI, I am a Christian. I loved atlas shrugged and the fountainhead. Some of the best books I've ever read. I'm still a Christian after reading them.:D (and I did read every word, including the 50 page speech ;))

:iagree: I am a Christian and I still agree with the majority of Atlas Shrugged. Just because the author was an atheist doesn't mean it completely conflicts with Christian values.

(I read every word, icluding the 50 page speech (WHAT are they going to be showing in the movie while that's going on?!) 3 times. Still a Christian.)

Don't judge a book by it's movie's critics.

I read Atlas Shrugged. It is a lousy novel filled with cardboard cut-outs for characters. The underlying ideology of narcissism and selfishness, which Rand poses as "virtue", is to me the embodiment of evil.

I am a Christian and I still agree with the majority of Atlas Shrugged. Just because the author was an atheist doesn't mean it completely conflicts with Christian values.

This statement astounds me. Since Rand denounces the virtues of Christanity as immorality, and in turn embraces Christian vices as virtues, I can't imagine how one can reconcile the two. She said one can choose either religion or reason (but not both) and that the religious were fools.

Rand was against altruism, against Christian morality, against kindness, against charity, against marital fidelity, against duty to family. Instead she spewed a paranoid amphetamine-fueled sort of infantile "philosophy" of selfishness that was and is the antithesis of the Moral Law. She was a sinister and very wicked cult leader.

She thought the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross was the embodiment of the lunacy of the Christian faith; never should the great sacrifice themselves for the weak.

To quote Rand:

Christ, in terms of the Christian philosophy, is the human ideal. He personifies that which men should strive to emulate. Yet, according to the Christian mythology, he died on the cross not for his own sins but for the sins of the nonideal people. In other words, a man of perfect virtue was sacrificed for men who are vicious and who are expected or supposed to accept that sacrifice. If I were a Christian, nothing could make me more indignant than that: the notion of sacrificing the ideal to the nonideal, or virtue to vice. And it is in the name of that symbol that men are asked to sacrifice themselves for their inferiors. That is precisely how the symbolism is used.

How anyone could think Ayn Rand and Christianity are comparable is beyond me.

Bill