Menu

When do I start chapter books for reading to my LO?

ErinSo

My oldest is 4.5. She isn't reading yet, but knows letters and sounds. She is interested and picks out some words. She loves to be read to! We read lots and lots of picture books. We will continue that of course, but I was wondering when I should add in a chapter book reading experience? Suggestions for what to start with?

P.S. We do already read Little Bear and Frog and Toad books.

My oldest is 4.5. She isn't reading yet, but knows letters and sounds. She is interested and picks out some words. She loves to be read to! We read lots and lots of picture books. We will continue that of course, but I was wondering when I should add in a chapter book reading experience? Suggestions for what to start with?

P.S. We do already read Little Bear and Frog and Toad books.

Give it a try - she might like it! My only caveat is that after having happily listened to dozens and dozens of chapter books (Paddington was a favorite), DS abruptly stopped wanting to hear anything with more than a few words on a page right about the time he was starting to work out the words himself. My theory is that he wanted to look over my shoulder and follow along, which he couldn't do with a whole page of text.

I was reading chapter books to my kids by the time they were that age. I think we started with my daughter when she was about three, my son a little later.

At that age, she loved A Little Princess and The Secret Garden. My husband read the first couple of Harry Potter books to her. She also like The Hobbit.

My son enjoyed Harry Potter, too. He also enjoyed Roald Dahl books (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.).

At that age, I wouldn't expect a child to understand every word or to remember every book read. But they are certainly capable of enjoying listening, and I believe it helps begin the habit of reading.

Sure, go ahead! Just don't start with really hard books. I tried Detectives in Togas for my boys when they were newly 6 and 3.5. They were :001_huh: and had no clue what I was talking about, it seemed. They weren't ready for that kind of chapter book. I needed to start out easier. I backed up to things like The Mouse and the Motorcycle, some Lang's Fairy Tales, etc. NOW a year later, they can handle the harder chapter books (and my oldest read Detectives in Togas himself this past summer... he had no recollection of me reading it to him the summer before :lol:).

Do continue the picture books also. Picture books are great for getting them ready to read themselves. They can see the words as you are reading them.

I can't remember which was first, but my kids are 4/5, and they have long since started hearing longer books. They've been through Little House in the Big Woods, Ribsy, Black Beauty, and some others (my sister does the long reading sessions so I can't remember all of them). I believe they are currently in the middle of Farmer Boy. You might also try the original versions of the Wizard of Oz and Pinocchio. Charlotte's Web is also very nice, but I asked my sister to wait until the kids could read that one on their own.

I started with my daughter around that age. (Maybe even a bit younger.) I found she loved chapter books as long as they had illustrations every 2 or 3 pages. She liked the Mouse and the Motorcycle books and LOVED Roald Dahl books. (I think we read every one of them. The vocabulary in those books is terrific!) We also read a lot of abridged children's classics like The Secret Garden and Pollyanna. We'll read the real versions in a couple of years when she can plow through the dense language more easily. Of course, despite all my careful book selection, she liked The Rainbow Fairy and Barbie chapter books as well! There's just no accounting for 4 year old taste!

One more note: When you first start chapter books, you'll have to stop more frequently to explain things and check for understanding. It's easier for kids to zone out when there are no pictures, and kids are used to using the pictures to help understand what is going on.

My son turned 5 this summer and we read Charlotte's Web, then Beauty and the Beast, now we are doing Oliver Twist. I think it just depends on their interest. He is reading along with me though, I can tell when I am tired and miss a word he corrects me. :001_smile:

I would start chapter book read alouds as soon as the kid can focus over longer periods of time and can keep track of the story when you stretch it over the course of several days/weeks.

At aged 4, my DD listened to The Hobbit and DS to the Narnia Series. Read alouds can be quite a notch above a kid's own reading ability; they are great for building vocabulary.

Normally, there would be a discrepancy between interest and reading ability; the beginning readers are not all that thrilling. Read alouds or audiobooks bridge that gap.

We started with Little House in the Big Woods when my two oldest had just turned 6 and 4. My oldest would have never sat through LH when she was 4 but my son had no problem. We went on to read Little House on the Prairie and Charlotte's Web that year. My Father's Dragon would also be a good book to start with.

Since I have older children, the younger ones were exposed to my reading chapter books outloud since they were infants. I suggest you start with chapter books that contain stories within the story. Instead of seeming like one, long books, they read more like a series of adventures with the same characters as they progress through a larger plot.