Menu

Mini Weapons/Backyard Ballistics/Dangerous Book

Which one of these for my 7 year old? I am thinking Christmas gift, something really cool/geeky/science-y/history that he and his dad can do together. So I'm not worried about reading level, more just ability level.

I thought Mini looked best initially because the projects are mostly done with junk drawer office supplies you have around the house, right? But I wonder if I should save this for when he's closer to 10. You know, something to look forward to! Maybe Dangerous Book for Boys has more variety of things to do?

I'd love to make it a combo gift where I get him the book and some supplies to get started making stuff. We are very into Mythbusters and the like around here, and he's a Cub Scout so he loves all things outdoors but I want to encourage his love of science and figuring out how things work.

ETA: Not really liking the idea of fire or matches or dangerous chemicals. He'd be obedient and not do that stuff if we said not too, I just would hate to encourage anything too dangerous.

It depends on how much you think your DH will really get involved — Backyard Ballistics will require full involvement from Dad, from buying the materials to measuring/sawing/building things. Mini Weapons includes projects that kids can do themselves, and it's easy to include a big box of supplies with the book as a present. I did this for DS's birthday last year. I bought a big craft box with lots of compartments and filled it with everything he needed: paperclips, bulldog clips, popsicle sticks, tape, rubber bands, plastic straws, dowels, glue, etc. It was a big hit, not only with DS, but with DD and all of their friends. The Ballistics book, OTOH.... not many projects happening out of that one, because the projects take a lot of planning & building and when DH does have the time to work with the kids, they'd rather work on robotics or electronics anyway.

Jackie

Hi Jackie!! I haven't seen you around in a while! :D

Okay all, thanks for the comments. I think I will go with the Mini book since it's also things his sister might want to help with and he and dad often do car and home projects together. Then later I will get him the other Mini book, about Spies. I think the Dangerous book might have a lot that overlaps with Scouts.

Thanks everyone!

I got dd the Mini Weapons book last year (age 11) and she LOVED it. It's so cool, I don't think your kids would outgrow it very soon. Have you seen the Mythbusters project kits? ToysRUs and I think Target sell them. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3424463&prodFindSrc=search They are on the younger end, so 7 would be very good. I'm not sure they're worth $20. I got several on sale, and they were worth the lower price, considering they're more something you do and are done with, rather than something you come back to.