Menu

St. John's College (a "classical" college) featured in the NYTimes today...good artic

Thought others might be interested in this. Love how they highlight their requirement that ALL teachers teach ALL classes...and how they cite that the teacher's lack of knowledge about the specifics of what they're teaching as a benefit, not a liability. Reminds me of homeschool moms!!!

Thought others might be interested in this. Love how they highlight their requirement that ALL teachers teach ALL classes...and how they cite that the teacher's lack of knowledge about the specifics of what they're teaching as a benefit, not a liability. Reminds me of homeschool moms!!!

I am a very proud graduate of the St. John's Graduate Institute. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would not hesitate to go through the undergraduate program. :001_smile:

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Nelson that, "Learning is born of ignorance." The most important things I learned at St. John's were to embrace ignorance as an opportunity to learn, how to consider ideas from many different perspectives before drawing my own conclusions, and that the questions are often more important than the answers.

:iagree:

Fascinating concept! Knowing how to learn seems to be key.

Many of the most famous discoveries in the world have come from ordinary, often "uneducated" (in the commonly accepted sense of the word) people who were interested in asking and attempting to discover the answers to questions that were important to them. If only all our schools, at every level, could offer this kind of learning what discoveries might be made?

I just visited a Montessori high school that's newly started here in our town and they seem to be following a similar sort of model for learning. I love it!

That was one of the school's we considered for 1dd - a classics major. I've kept the link for their program just for myself.