Menu

Re: thickening waistline

Is there someway to combat this middle aged woman thing? I'm not gaining weight, my hips have stayed the same for the last couple of years, but I've got 2 unwanted inches in my waist. It doesn't seem to get any better with exercise. I would wear my pants 1 size down, if it wasn't for the buttoning issue. So now they are loose in the seat and thighs but fit nicely around my middle.

Has anyone been able to overcome this kind of issue?

I haven't gone wheatless/lo-carb, but because my husband has some health issues, we've switched to a low-gi diet (carbs that enter the blood stream more slowly). I was *shocked* to realize that I lost an inch off that stubborn waistline in a week...and we pretty much each what we've been eating except for a greater emphasis on choosing low-gi carbs (parboiled rice vs. white rice, adding in oatbran to homemade muffins, homemade bread with added whole grains and flaxseed, etc). Note: portion sizes DO matter, so we are not heavy on the grain carbs (we don't worry about fruit and veggie carbs at all), just choose the ones we eat carefully.

This has worked well for our family.

HTH,

Well, as we get older we lose muscle mass and it can get replaced by fat. It starts in our 30s. So, by your 40s you can start to see a difference. Your weight hasn't changed but your body is fatter.

I have started doing more ballet based workouts and lots of challenging yoga; things in the middle tightened right up. For my particular body it worked like a charm. I also cut back on my food portions. If we have less muscle then there is less need for calories. And even just a small calorie overage will cause an increase in weight.

I have started doing more ballet based workouts and lots of challenging yoga; things in the middle tightened right up. For my particular body it worked like a charm. I also cut back on my food portions. If we have less muscle then there is less need for calories. And even just a small calorie overage will cause an increase in weight.

Are these work outs you just do on your own or is there a DVD/series you could recommend? Particularly interested in the ballet...

Thanks in advance!

I have nothing but empathy. I am trying to make a difference. Recently cut out gluten. Doing special ab exercises (do a search on transverse abdominal exercises) to help my post-C-section belly. Started yoga two weeks ago, and my abs are killing me. Hope this all helps!

Barre or Bar method workouts are good ballet based workouts that you can get on dvd. I love pilates. I see results very quickly from just one hour of pilates a week. Do you lift weights? Great for boosting metabolism and for bone density. Also, see if you can add extra exercise to your day. I hit the gym 20 minutes before a class and hop on the elliptical. It burns way more calories than chatting with people before class, but it doesn't take much extra time out of my day.

I also use the half portion method. When I'm serving myself, I take half of what I would normally serve. If I finish that and am still hungry, I take a quarter sized portion. Easy way to wean yourself off too large portions.

No suggestions, just sympathy - I'm in exactly the same boat. Hopefully someone has suggestions. I'm hoping for the all-wine diet, myself. :)

:iagree:LOVE IT!!! Let me know if it works....or maybe I'll just join you in the trial...:D

ETA- I think I'll also try cutting out wheat.

Edited by Coffeemama

I have the same problem. Not gaining weight, but my waist-line is expanding. No wheat low carb?!?! Maybe it's worth a try because I have a feeling I'm wheat intolerant anyway. I have had trouble with wheat in the past. I may try this, but I will miss my wheat:sad:.

Beth

A few ideas:

1. Shapewear like Spanx or Flexees will help somewhat in this area :)

2. Exercising: You'd want to add 2x/week of focused core work (think pilates or intense yoga - not easy/relaxing yoga). Pilates is similar to ballet exercises as it focuses on toning the transverse abdominal muscles by lengthening them - this is different than the muscles you use in crunches which bulk up your midsection. Also, pilates will reduce your risk for back problems b/c it makes everything tighter/firmer.

Thank you for this thread. I've been concerned also. Reading up on all the great tips.

I haven't gone wheatless/lo-carb ... we've switched to a low-gi diet (carbs that enter the blood stream more slowly).

This may be more do-able for me. I'm pretty sure that I don't have gluten issues (yet). I don't think I could go completely gluten free unless if I had serious health issues.

I have started doing more ballet based workouts and lots of challenging yoga; things in the middle tightened right up. I also cut back on my food portions. If we have less muscle then there is less need for calories. And even just a small calorie overage will cause an increase in weight.

So true. Fabulous reminder. Especially about portion sizes. Wish this weren't true. :glare:

Off to search for some ballet-based workout DVDs. Challenging yoga also. I have lots of yoga DVDs, but not very many challenging ones. I just got two pilates DVDs. Thank you for your tips. :)

Barre or Bar method workouts are good ballet based workouts that you can get on dvd. I love pilates. I see results very quickly from just one hour of pilates a week. Do you lift weights? Great for boosting metabolism and for bone density. Also, see if you can add extra exercise to your day. I hit the gym 20 minutes before a class and hop on the elliptical. It burns way more calories than chatting with people before class, but it doesn't take much extra time out of my day.

I also use the half portion method. When I'm serving myself, I take half of what I would normally serve. If I finish that and am still hungry, I take a quarter sized portion. Easy way to wean yourself off too large portions.

Wonderful suggestions.

You'd want to add 2x/week of focused core work (think pilates or intense yoga - not easy/relaxing yoga). Pilates is similar to ballet exercises as it focuses on toning the transverse abdominal muscles by lengthening them - this is different than the muscles you use in crunches which bulk up your midsection. Also, pilates will reduce your risk for back problems b/c it makes everything tighter/firmer.

I had no idea that crunches cause bulking up. :glare: Wish I'd known that sooner. How nice of them to tell us :001_huh:.

If anyone can recommend some great ballet-based and/or intense yoga DVDs, please do share. Thank you.

Thought to share some of my notes, although I have to admit that the tips everyone has included here are far more helpful. Also, most of the following are more related to abs as opposed to a thickening waistline. I think it's pretty much the same thing, but it's too early for me to think straight ...

For me, it's much, much more about eating less than it is about exercising more. I hate that fact and am not particularly thrilled about it. It’s just that I know that when I eat less I lose far much more weight than when I exercise for hours and hours (and don't necessarily watch what I eat). My waistline and abs also get smaller. Lots of exercise often leads me to have an oversized appetite.

80% eating healthy and less 20% lifting with intervals and cardio. As the old saying goes..."Abs are made in the kitchen"!

EAT LESS AT NIGHT

Consume 2/3 of your daily calories before dinner. For your dinner, eat lightly and skip dessert (easier said than done).

BULK UP ON FRUITS AND VEGGIES

These are low-calorie stomach fillers. Have 5-9 servings a day. The more fiber I include in every meal and snack, the better.

Raw foods – fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds in their natural form – are rich in the natural enzymes found in all foods. Naturally, this means that each food has the appropriate enzymes to digest itself. Thus, when you eat raw foods, they are much more easily digested and utilized in your body. That means less food stored as useless fat. Not only will they help you lose weight and belly fat but you’ll have so much energy and better health than you ever thought possible.

INCLUDE LEAN PROTEIN IN EVERY MEAL

Moderate amounts of eggs, fish, meat, poultry, low fat yogurt, and legumes help you feel sated.

We lose muscle as we age. So even if you are working out but not eating properly, you are not doing your muscles any favors.

Getting enough protein also helps to keep weight down. Losing muscle decreases resting metabolic rate, making it harder to maintain a healthy weight and lose body fat.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

CUT BACK ON SALT

The more sodium in your diet, the more bloating in your belly. Instead, garnish w/herbs, spices, and citrus juices.

Sodium makes you retain water and puffs up your belly. Most of us eat more than twice as much sodium as we need.

Stop salting your food at the table, and check for sodium on the labels of packaged foods.

CUT BACK ON SUGAR

It has been my personal experience that belly fat is related to sugar intake. When I cut out sugar and soda my stomach goes down fast, within a week there is a big difference and when I do go for sugar, to many carbs etc I get more of a belly. I do not believe this is the case for all people but for me it is directly related.

MORE WATER

Not drinking enough water will leave you bloated. You need enough water to flush out water and salt in your tissues, so you can be lighter and not be bloated.

An easy way to tell whether you're getting enough water is to check the color of your urine: If it's pale yellow, that's good; if it's dark, dehydration may be an issue. And watch what you drink. Too much alcohol and caffeine can dehydrate you, because they're natural diuretics and can cause you to lose body fluids.

AEROBIC EXERCISE gives definition to the stomach muscles and helps lose actual inches.

REBOUNDING/SKIPPING/JUMP ROPE MOVEMENTS for 5-30 minutes help

Cardio burns fat In fact, a recent study conducted at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington, showed cardiovascular exercise is especially effective in reducing midsection weight gain.

STRENGTH TRAINING

Strength training builds up the core muscles - in one study, women who lifted weights for an hour twice a week lost 15 percent more abdominal fat than those who didn't.

One of the fastest ways to firm your middle is through strength training for your entire body. Only resistance exercises boost your metabolism, which in turn helps you burn fat where it builds up.

To burn belly fat and start seeing some abdominal definition, you need to burn calories. That’s really the bottom line. Full body strength training exercises that train movements, not muscles, is the way to go. The reason is that big movements have a greater metabolic cost (that is, burn more calories) than small movements. That’s because they recruit more muscle, oxygen, and thus require more calories to complete the necessary exercise.

Which do you think would burn more calories….

Ab crunches OR front squats?

Sit ups OR lunge walks?

Leg lifts OR dumbbell cleans?

In each case, if you said the 2nd option, you’re right!

Abdominal exercises do nothing to help lose stomach or get a flat six pack.

Another way to work your abs while toning the rest of your body: Hold a light weight overhead during moves like lunges and squats. Your core is the main connection between your upper and lower body. By creating more length from your center to your fingertips, your abs have to work extra hard just to keep you upright. That creates a firmer, stronger midsection.

INTERVAL TRAINING

When you increase your pace you’ll burn more calories and target belly fat.

10-MINUTE BURSTS OF WALKING RIGHT AFTER (OR EVEN BEFORE) EACH MEAL

Ab exercises alone will not really help. What does help is decreasing your insulin levels. You do that by regular exercise - such as 10 minute bursts of exercise right before or after each meal. It's hard for me to do the 10 minutes right before or after mealtimes, but I am trying. Typing this up is a good reminder.

BALANCE WORK

Standing on one leg or using a wobble board or inflatable disk helps target and tone every little muscle. When you narrow your base of support – like balancing on one foot – you may have less stability, so your body naturally engages all of your core muscles to prevent you from falling.

Try balancing on one leg as you do upper-body moves such as biceps curls and overhead presses.

POSTURE

Keep your abs active all day as you stand, carry groceries, sit, do your hair, and exercise. You’ll stand taller and your abs will get firmer.

Someone here shared this:

"Great bodies are made in the kitchen and improved in the gym."

I have started doing more ballet based workouts and lots of challenging yoga; things in the middle tightened right up. For my particular body it worked like a charm.

Thanks to you, I'm totally fascinated by ballet-based workouts and have ordered a few for my parents to bring down when they return in a few weeks. Can't wait. :D

Sorry to bother you again with questions. No hurry to get back to me right away. You've helped me so much already. I really do appreciate it. Thank you. :grouphug:

1. Do you use a bar at all, or just a chair? Will there come a time when you feel that you need to use a bar? The more advanced workouts, perhaps?

2. Challenging Yoga - do you have any recommendations? I have lots of yoga DVDs, but mine are all on the more relaxing and not-so-challenging side. I have the P90X Yoga, but I really dislike that. If you or anyone here has any challenging yoga recommendations, please do share. Thank you.