Menu

Copywork, does anyone not find copywork particularly effective

CactusPair

for their individual child?

In theory, I think copywork is a wonderful, multifacted tool. But I haven't noticed a big impact on my ds's writing, spelling, or punctuation.

It has helped his printing a lot, which is terrific in itself. His manuscript is lovely. But other than that.... It has produced much whining and a few tempests :eek:

He can and does write some pretty interesting sentences and even short paragraphs, but his progress has come from me talking him through it, kind of like an oral Writing Strands method, I guess.

I'm just wondering about copywork again because the LCC book emphasizes its importance in developing composition skills.

I'd like to know how it works or doesn't work for others.

If you have ideas about how to make it an effective tool for writing skills, I'd love to hear them, too.

Thanks!

I just responded to your spelling question, but I wanted to point out that you may need to be explicit about pointing out the purpose of the copywork you're giving. I've said to my dd, "OK, today we're going to practice placing quotation marks." We look at books to see how it's done, then I give her a sentence or three to copy. I underline the target aspect of the model sentence (e.g., the quotation marks and related punctuation). I stay with her as she does the first one or two to make sure she's getting it. The last one she does on her own. I try not to throw too many new things at her at once; if we're working on punctuation, there won't be any sticky spelling words or odd grammar constructions to contend with.

I've also used checklists from time to time:

First word capitalized?

All proper nouns capitalized?

Apostrophes in place?

Commas?

End punctuation?

Double-check spelling?

HTH!

Copywork has helped my kids enormously. I have one that is dysgraphic. Being able to focus on just writing and not composing has been great for him. But also we do a different type of copywork every day and it often ties in with what we are reading or studying so it is another way to expand and make connections with everything we are learning. For example Monday is Latin so my 9 year old might copy over his first declension and then take pride in reciting it afterwards. Or my 13 yo will copy over a Latin prayer and have us quiz him afterwards about it. Monday we write jokes, riddles or quotes from books we are reading. Again the kids tell each the jokes they've copied or they talk about the book they are reading and where the quote comes in and why they chose it.

I have noticed though that some of my kids pick up punctuation and mechanics very easily from copywork (I too either point out something like quotations or commas OR if I don't do that beforehand, I check afterwards to make sure they were accurate and then point it out), I also have a couple kids that don't seem to learn it well enough that way and they do seem to have to do repetitive exercises in order to get it into their brains fluently.

I agree and it's why I asked about how you're using copywork. We use copywork for poetry which aids in the memorization process and for proper sentence structure (punctuation, usage, parts of speech, grammar) in Primary Language Lessons by Davidson. Before adding a focus to our copywork, it did seem like a waste of time other than for letter formation. Next year, we'll be using it within spelling instruction with Simply Spelling.

I am no expert on copywork, but I think that it is probably more effective for some kids than for others. Does anyone have auditory kids that have benefited from copywork?

I really like using copywork from subjects as a replacement for handwriting instruction for my dd. I also see more benefit from it if I have a purpose for the assignment - like quotation marks or homophones. It was also beneficial for her when she wanted to increase her writing speed. I rotate the content of our copywork to keep her interest. Some things we have done: sentences for reinforcement of grammar or spelling, jokes, quotes from some of her favorite books then let her guess what book it is from, poetry, quotes from historical figures, science facts she was interested in, and math facts that weren't sticking, and of course recipes since she loves to cook.

I think it has its place, but it is certainly not a magic bullet for every child's writing and spelling.

With my ds we use copywork primarily as handwriting practice. He has poor handwriting, but spells and composes fairly well. I try to vary the content (literature, poetry, history) and relate it to other schoolwork--but I think that CW will be far more useful in growing those composition skills. I don't plan to drop copywork yet, though--his printing is still babyish, and we'll be introducing cursive in 3rd grade... but I can see dropping copywork after he masters writing legibly and reasonable attractively. At this rate, he'll be copying for a long time.

I took a class this spring on how to teach copywork & dictation (from bravewriter.com) so now I'm brimming with ideas on how to use this for all kinds of LA topics! One of the biggest things I realized is that I wasn't pre-teaching it--I just gave my kids the passage & let them copy. Now I look at it & decide what to focus on. I can teach mechanics with spelling, caps, punctuation, plus literary devices--it's a lot more fun now, and my kids are learning so much more!

Merry :-)

Copywork has served several purposes in my home. 1) It has been a very gentle introduction to "old english" we use Queen's homeschool copywork books. This has actually dawned an interest in Shakespeare which we are going to study deeper next year. 2) It has helped their penmanship blossom beautifully. They do not like working in manuscript/writing books, they like to do these. If not done neatly with precision I erase the segment and make them begin again. 3) It serves as a transition for my kids. They see using their copywork books as a joy, so they are often used as a reward, so they know when they are done their math pages they can do their copywork book before officially starting English. 4) we also have 2 other copybooks from Queen's homeschool "learning spelling through copywork", and one for math facts. I found that while the spelling book did not teach new spelling words it certain helped reveiw words and they see it as fun. The math one we have not started yet but the kids are excited to use it as a fun way to practice their equations. We will continue with copywork next year focusing on cursive as opposed to manuscript. I figure if the kids are excited to do it (they often ask to do copywork when given free time) and it helps boost a skill even as simple as penmanship I will continue to offer it.

Maybe you could read a simple poem aloud, and then write one of the sentences for your dc to copy, but leave one or more of the rhyming words for him to choose. Sometimes they can come up with funny words, and it is more their creation. Maybe this will help in the transition to more "formal" copywork. However, if all you get is tears, just drop it and try dictation or have him form his own sentences. It is much more important for him to enjoy writing than to have him copy words but hate writing.

I found copy work to be great for my youngest, but useless for my oldest. My youngest pays attention to what she is copying and actually learns much in the process. My oldest, like me, is able to copy pages and pages without having a clue what any of it even said. Sort of on automatic pilot. I think it depends on the child.

My oldest, like me, is able to copy pages and pages without having a clue what any of it even said. Sort of on automatic pilot. I think it depends on the child.

This is exactly what my older dd9 did!

But then, when we moved to dictation, it made all the difference in the world...go figure?!?! Writing improved greatly--penmanship and content/grammar, etc. She could do copybook without having to think about it, but dictation required her to think about what she was writing.

I did begin copywork with my second dd7 and she actually seems to be paying attention to what she's writing and getting something out of it-a lot, actually. As a matter of fact, the other day, I let her choose what to write (we do copywork 3 times per week--I pick on day 1 and 2 and they pick the 3rd day). It was a passage from John... Anyway, it was complicated as far as punctuation goes and she actually asked "why this?" and "why that?". My older dd would have NEVER even noticed what she was writing.....much less asked about it!

So I guess it really does depend on the child. I would at least try the dictation first though, before completely leaving this aspect of writing. And if it doesn't work for you, at least you tried and know:)

Wow! I'm glad I had the courage to post this question. I was nervous and like Michelle T said, felt like I was uttering sacrilege.

I do think ds would benefit from my being very specific and demonstrative about what the particular exercise is about. He could copy reams and not remember any of it. I am the same way, I confess. It seems abstract or diffuse to me. I probably have some of the same learning differences that he does.

I usually give the sentence to write and run away for dear life bec. of his tantrum issues. If I'm not near him, he's less likely to fuss and vent.

But if I point out very specifically what the point of the assignment is he may make a mental note and use the technique in his own composition later. Good advice.

I love the idea of completing a poem! Thanks Emelsha. This may be the ticket for us. We read from a poetry anthology several times a week and ds loves it and begs for more. The book is called The Rattlebag. I used it in university and it isn't for kids, but has a lot of appealing works. I do have to pick and choose carefully for appropriate poems, but he responds to this book like no other.

Yes, I do think ds has a strong ear and learns this way best--as long as I carefully direct the oral lesson. This is why he loves the Rattlebag so much--its intense oral/aural texture is delightful, tantalizing, richly satisfying.

I think like one of the posters noted, my ds may do better with dictation. I never thought about that before, but I think there's something to it. Again, I think it's bec. he does better processing through a tightly structured oral lesson.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't seeing copywork as a riproaring success. I've gotten some good ideas to make it more effective for us and my particular mild special needs learner.

Much appreciation!

Just wanted to add that my girls enjoyed copywork, but I'm not sure we did it consistently enough or directed enough to really say it 'helped' them with writing. It was more an art exercise, decorating the page with pretty handwriting and then perhaps a curle-que.

My almost 9yo ds, on the other hand, HATES copywork. He has tremendous issues with hold a writing utensil. Unless I sat over him saying, "next word" he'd take 30 minutes to copy 1 sentence. I'm not exaggerating. He's a perfectionist, has very nice manuscript writing, and so writes extremely slow...which makes the lesson SO LONG....

I'm trying two things with him over the summer. 1) Teaching him cursive, which so far has been an amazingly positive experience for him. He says his hand doesn't hurt from writing anymore. 2) Letting him choose his copywork more often. Something we did last year that had some positive effect was homemade 'story starters' where I would begin some fantasy episode full of swords and knights and squishy things that boys like, then ask him to provide the next part. I recorded it, then copied out a couple of his sentences with proper grammar/spelling/handwriting. He didn't seem so bothered knowing he was copying his own words. It took more of my time, but I think it was our best copywork experience. He still balked if I tried to sneak in more than 3 sentences at a time, but he proudly showed Daddy when he got home from work. :001_smile:

Are you sure it's not just that your dc is beyond the copywork stage? Copywork builds the foundation for dictation. WTM doesn't say to continue copywork once your dc has moved on to dictation. If it's easy and there's no profit, move on. I know my dd got bored stiff with it much earlier than WTM indicated and was happy to move on to dictation of the selections.