Menu

Anyone use Khan Academy plus worksheets for pre-algebra?

Halcyon

We don't use it as a spine, but as a supplement. I have to come to rely on the Khan Academy videos to help my dc with concepts they don't fully grasp from their texts or from me demonstrating how to do the problems. The narrator has a definite knack for explaining things in a straightforward way that even non-math people can understand.

And on a side note, I used Khan Academy myself to study for a college placement test; I needed to test out of Algebra I to be eligible to apply to nursing school. Although I've only taken developmental math at a community college, I tested out of both Algebra I and II and qualified to register for higher-level college math. Khan Academy is a wonderful resource that I intend to use with my dc throughout high school and college.

What a great idea! I think you've given me more ammunition in making my case that our homeschool *needs* an iPad. ;)

Well, to be fair you could do the same thing with a laptop. I take mine many places. As long as there is wireless I am in business.

I don't want to deny you an iPad, just preparing you for the counter-argument.

I'm using Khan academy along with various other things for my younger DD. Currently KA is the main component, but it's only been that way for a couple of weeks , and with this child we tweak things as often as the wind changes. When AOPS finally* makes it to the UK stockist I'm hoping to use PreAlgebra**, so you could say this is Pre-Pre.

*I'm waiting patiently. Truly I am. Oh, all right, not that patiently.:tongue_smilie:

**In a heavily tweaked fashion. This is DD2 we're talking about.

Edited by freerange

I like to use it as a supplement, but it seems rather choppy to me as a stand alone.

Interesting. I probably agree with you, after having spent a few hours last night viewing the videos. That said, my son watched a couple of the Pre-Algebra vids and aced the questions, so a little earlier exposure won't hurt him. But I think he'd prefer a text anyway, when it comes time.

Are the videos on there in a particular order? I am trying to find some on fractions for DD who REALLY struggles with this. Developmental math is just all over the place!

You can click on the "Practice" and pick the topic you want to work on. If your child has problem doing the questions, you can then click on the bottom right corner for "watching the video" to reinforce the concept or understanding. Then get back to the practice exercise. It works quite well with my daughter. I usually pick the topic we are working on for some independent work when I need to spend some time with my little one. Hope this helps.:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

My son is at a private school and they're using this quite a bit this year for pre-Algebra. It has been somewhat controversial. Their class time is being (mostly) used for a personal finance class and real life simulation (budgeting, saving for college, paying bills etc.) with the thought that this work uses a lot of pre-algebra skills. They are using Khan for homework because it provides quicker feedback to the student and information to the teacher than the worksheet method.

That said, my son has really been hating it. He loves being taught personally, but the main problem has been the frustration that if you get your 9th or 10th problem wrong, you have to start completely over. (You have to get 10 problems in a row right to have mastered a topic.) So he felt overwhelmed by the amount of work, and it is time consuming if you make careless mistakes because you have to start over. I really like it for me -- I'm set up as a coach as well as his teacher -- but was getting worried when he was starting to feel he's bad at math, crying in frustration, etc. Our solution has been for me to get involved -- not doing the work for him, but providing that human explanation and encouragement, sitting there with him, etc. (He's at that stage where he veers between wanting independence and privacy, and craving connection.)

I'm sharing the story just because it sounds like some kids are working very independently on it -- which is great -- but it won't work for everyone as an independent activity.

Interesting. I probably agree with you, after having spent a few hours last night viewing the videos. That said, my son watched a couple of the Pre-Algebra vids and aced the questions, so a little earlier exposure won't hurt him. But I think he'd prefer a text anyway, when it comes time.

Oh, how I wish he'd catch up to us in SM.

For those who don't know much about Khan's philosophy, when I heard his comments about how the lecture part of class could be done independently (with a good lecturer ... how can every single school have a top notch teacher in every subject?) and then come to class to do homework, where the teacher could be on hand to help or tutor on little parts, I felt a EUREKA spread through my body.

Currently I'm using it as a supplement to fractions, as I think kiddo benefits from hearing in a slightly different way from a different teacher. He often watches the vids twice.

(And to the person who noted that fractions are a bug-a-boo, I have found that they, for us, are the first step up that kiddo doesn't have a quick grasp of and that doing them HAS REVEALED every little weakness of his basic math, and so we have spent more time back-tracking, solidifying, reinforcing those chinks on this topic than on any other. Patience is a virtue.)

Oh, how I wish he'd catch up to us in SM.

For those who don't know much about Khan's philosophy, when I heard his comments about how the lecture part of class could be done independently (with a good lecturer ... how can every single school have a top notch teacher in every subject?) and then come to class to do homework, where the teacher could be on hand to help or tutor on little parts, I felt a EUREKA spread through my body.

Currently I'm using it as a supplement to fractions, as I think kiddo benefits from hearing in a slightly different way from a different teacher. He often watches the vids twice.

(And to the person who noted that fractions are a bug-a-boo, I have found that they, for us, are the first step up that kiddo doesn't have a quick grasp of and that doing them HAS REVEALED every little weakness of his basic math, and so we have spent more time back-tracking, solidifying, reinforcing those chinks on this topic than on any other. Patience is a virtue.)

We're eagerly awaiting his 4th and 5th grade SM vids!

Another great resource for those of you having issues with fractions is visualfractions.com, FYI

• 3 weeks later...