Menu

People who use BFSU

momto2Cs

I own both volumes 1 and 2, and am trying to figure out where to start with a 10 year old and an 8 year old. Should I start on volume 1, or just fill in the gaps and then start vol. 2?

Thanks!

ETA: Both already have a fairly strong science background

Edited by momto2Cs

Thanks. That's what I thought. I like that the more I think about it because last year I made a flow chart complete with supplemental book and video listings... think I'll pull that up to look at. I'm adding in the Kingfisher science Encyclopedia for the 10yo.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I like that the more I think about it because last year I made a flow chart complete with supplemental book and video listings... think I'll pull that up to look at. I'm adding in the Kingfisher science Encyclopedia for the 10yo.

Sounds like an excellent plan. :thumbup1: I would be interested in how that works out for you.

Your mileage may vary - but I thought it was pretty elementary for my science loving boy, 8 at the time. I added in a lot of supplemental books and videos.

I don't know what volume 2 looks like, though, or how much the lessons hinge on volume 1.

Well, Vol. I is for grades K-2, so a science loving 8yo would probably be beyone Vol. I.

I skimmed through vol II this evening and then threads A1-A10 in vol I, and realized that yes, we have covered all that somehow somewhere. So I am going to try vol II and see how it goes.

To make sure your dc understands things clearly and is thinking scientifically, you could just go through Volume I discussions and objectives, making sure they have no erroneous thinking on their part.

I skimmed through vol II this evening and then threads A1-A10 in vol I, and realized that yes, we have covered all that somehow somewhere. So I am going to try vol II and see how it goes.

:iagree: I think Vol 2 would be right on; he'd probably know some of it, but my guess is a bit of review would be helpful. you can move more quickly through it and then onto the 3rd volume in 6th or 7th.

I am using Vol 1 right now with an 8 & 10 year old. ;-) It's a wonderful program. I scheduled it along with Eureka videos, Supercharged Science DVDs, some Middle School Science lessons and Bill Nye DVDs. I have a schedule I could email you if you pm me your address.

I think I'd be interested in this schedule! I am going to pull the trigger and order Volume 1. I have a 5YO and 8.5 YO. My guess is it would be strictly review for my 8YO but if we like Vol 1, we'll order Vol 2.

I haven't seen the Supercharged Science dvds. I am going to look into those now!

We are moving fairly quickly through BFSU Vol 1, completing about 3-4 lessons each week. We have had science in our background, but nothing laid out exactly the way BFSU does. It makes connections with previous lessons and the kids are retaining it. I didn't figure it hurt to review it at a faster pace. We will slow down once we hit BFSU II. I would love to know if anyone has made up a schedule for Vol 2.

I'll get to my pm's now and send the schedule I do have out to you.