Menu

repetitive, scripted, short and simple? Yay or Nay and Why?

Stellalarella

When I hear different teachers talk about FLL (for example), I hear things like, "the repetition drives me crazy," or "dc complains about having to give the definition of a noun again," or "these short repetitive lessons are way too easy."

These are valid opinions. Tell me more!

I want to understand more about this perspective because I feel so opposite. I find myself thinking, "Gosh, I love this simple little memory repetition. I love these short easy lessons that I can do with dc in 5 minutes. I would never have predicted that I would like lessons that use repetitive memory work like FLL and AAS. I would have never, ever, ever guessed that I would love scripted lessons like WWE, FLL, and AAS. And I am one of those strange ones that enjoys reading the FIAR books every day for 4 or 5 days! :001_smile: I just wonder what personality traits, motivations, etc., make teachers and kids love it or hate it.

So, what exactly is it about your teaching style or your dc that makes you smile at OR cringe at repetitive, simple, scripted lessons?

My daughter picks up things pretty quickly, so going over the definition of a noun again was not much fun for either of us. The scripts drive me crazy because they aren't "me". For scripted stuff like AAS, I read it and paraphrase to make it fit us better. I don't mind reading stories multiple times, although, to be honest, I get bored and am ready to move onto something else (read: run away, screaming) by the third time. Oddly enough, DD really enjoyed FIAR. It drove ME nuts. That said, we still study a book FIAR-style on occasion because she likes it, it just turns out to be more like Three In a Row. :tongue_smilie:

The problem I've had with FLL has probably been resolved with the workbooks, but for us the auditory repetition is just not enough. I've lost count of how many times I've reminded both DS that proper nouns get capitals! They just really need to DO grammar to GET Grammar.

So I use FLL when I need to teach a definition. For overall grammar work we are using KISS this year. They don't exactly coordinate, but when I got to helping verbs with KISS, I did the FLL lesson to go with it.

I don't care for the scripted format myself, but I can understand how it could be helpful. But I've never been one to stick to a beaten path once I'd been down the trail. For the first year I used FLL almost exclusively, and now I'm more comfortable, it is easy to let go.

My DS are not really good at retaining without repetition and actual hands on work, so the change to KISS was a pretty good one for them.

I was actually one of the complainers, maybe back in June, but I've stuck with it because the lessons are so short and ridiculously easy.

Now, I still don't LOVE it, and neither does dd6. What she does - surprisingly to me, but predictably to anyone who knows grammar-stage - is LOVE parroting back the definition of a noun. She'll do it three times if I don't stop her. And she loves standing up and belting out the poetry, though we haven't tried it in front of anyone except me yet. The art narration has been helpful, but again, it feels like interruption because it's not "art time." It feels like Jessie Wise doesn't trust that I WILL expose my kid to art.

Sometimes, it still seems intrusive to STOP our school day to talk about her uncles' names. Again, yawn. Or our neighbours' pets. Yawn.

Sometimes, I try to make the lessons more interactive - like when it said to have her write her address, I had her write it on an ENVELOPE, and I wrote her a secret note which I stuck inside. We walked it to the mailbox, then tried to predict how long it would take to get to our house. (three days)

Oh, but don't get me started on the bits that are supposed to train you not to say "ain't" or "gots" or whatever. We are a family of clearly-enunciating, crisply-speaking Canadians who talk like people out of an encyclopedia. It doesn't make us fun or colourful, but boy, do I feel like I'm insulting my daughter asking her, "Was the kitten to little to walk?" so I can make sure she doesn't say "No, it weren't," or whatever we might say if we weren't so darn sticklish about grammar around here.

I think I will skip those bits from now on, come to think of it.

I guess you can tell, it's STILL not my favourite.

I DO like the scripting, indeed; it's the same reason, it turns out, why I like Meet the Masters.

Maybe it's like the difference between training wheels and a tricycle - training wheels give you support but you don't feel like a baby riding with them... then again, there's no way you can please every parent all of the time, and like I said, I'm surprising myself by sticking with FLL for the time being.

When I hear different teachers talk about FLL (for example), I hear things like, "the repetition drives me crazy," or "dc complains about having to give the definition of a noun again," or "these short repetitive lessons are way too easy."

These are valid opinions. Tell me more!

I want to understand more about this perspective because I feel so opposite. I find myself thinking, "Gosh, I love this simple little memory repetition. I love these short easy lessons that I can do with dc in 5 minutes. I would never have predicted that I would like lessons that use repetitive memory work like FLL and AAS. I would have never, ever, ever guessed that I would love scripted lessons like WWE, FLL, and AAS. And I am one of those strange ones that enjoys reading the FIAR books every day for 4 or 5 days! :001_smile: I just wonder what personality traits, motivations, etc., make teachers and kids love it or hate it.

So, what exactly is it about your teaching style or your dc that makes you smile at OR cringe at repetitive, simple, scripted lessons?

I love SWB, WTM, the *ideas* behind it. I've also loved SOTW & the AGs. Hence, I wanted w/ all my heart to love FLL. I bought it at my first hs convention w/out even looking at it first, & I spent the next several years trying to make the love happen.

It didn't.

My kids loved it at first, though, so we stuck w/ it. When the oldest was able to read well enough, I handed it over to him, & he "taught" grammar to younger dd. (Hmmm...could that be the source of some of his grammar problems today?) :lol:

Personality traits that contribute to this lack-of-love:

If I have to get a book off the shelf, I want to need it for more than 5 min, otherwise, it's not really worth it. Unless it's the MLA style guide. :lol: So I'd put off FLL, get behind, & then spend 30 min doing a bunch of lessons to get caught up. And 30 min worth of FLL is...pretty boring.

Beyond that, I guess I don't like scripted. The only other thing I can think of that I've tried in that category was Saxon (because SWB said it was the best). I tend to prefer something more outline-ish or narrative so we can pause & discuss. Maybe that means I like to hear myself talk? :lol:

SOTW was funny that way--for FOUR YEARS, every. single. place. I chose to stop & explain, I'd get back to the text, & IT would stop to explain, too, in the VERY SAME words I'd just chosen. But that made us all laugh, & we could go on.

I also tried FIAR. Never once did I manage to read a book more than twice. Some of the activities were neat, but...well, I hate reading stories aloud. I don't love reading, period, but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it (sadly) for myself primarily. Which means that if I've already read it? I'm done.

I'm reading the Wrinkle in Time series to the dc now, & it's the first time we've actually gotten through a read-aloud--in probably 6yrs of hs'ing--in under 9mos. I just get bored w/ it, dread it, etc. But WIT is as good the 2nd time around as it was 20 yrs ago. :lol:

I get bored easily. I'm creative. I'm not a rule-follower or a script-follower. I poke at things and ask WHY in ways that make people crazy but that theoretically might lead to better ways of doing things. Although, mostly it just makes people crazy. In the hs world, I might win the Most Likely to Reinvent the Wheel award. :tongue_smilie: :lol:

For me, I've found that the curric that gets done is the best one for us. And around here, that means I have to be entertained & challenged by it. We're using MCT since finally, officially quitting FLL. It's not perfect by any means, but it makes me happy & inspires me, so it's probably the best chance my kids have at grammar.

If only they made a phonics book that good! :lol:

i wouldn't have thought I would like it. But....it works! We were doing GWG so that he could do it on his own, he could do lots of practice, etc. He didn't retain a single thing. Sigh. But, going over the definitions several times, although it brings eyerolling, DOES work. And he likes that grammar is quick and easy. I think we are a "nibbled to death by ducks" family!

If only they made a phonics book that good! :lol:

You aren't kidding! What is the deal with phonics curriculum? :001_smile:

It's fun to hear from everyone about their personalities and teaching and the real life stories. I think it just makes me appreciate our differences and it helps me "hear" you all better.

So if you are wanting to know what makes someone like me LIKE those scripted, repetitive, short lessons, read below. :001_smile:

Here is why I've ended up enjoying my scripted lessons in FLL, WWE, and AAS--and it's why I wish MUS was scripted instead of those where-the-heck-did-I-put-the-DVD-hope-it-isn't-scratched-up-and-will-load video lessons:

SCRIPTED and SHORT: It's open and go (unlike STOW and video lessons) and the format is easy to mentally digest, rearrange in my head, paraphrase and systematically walk through the lesson, particularly when I'm using a book for a second child. I like information presented in a way that is easily visually accessible. kwim? I don't feel the need to read the scripted lessons word for word, I just appreciate the approach. And let's face it. I have a small herd of lovely children and many levels. I simply cannot create from scratch all the lessons I would need to teach spelling, writing, grammar, etc. I spend so much time planning for science and history with SOTW. The scripted lessons are a mega time saver.

REPETITIVE: It works. Thus, I cling to it. And, for some reason, I have 6 kids who like it. And honestly, our family loves memory work. On Fridays we have a memory recital at supper--your poetry, science, spelling rules, whatever. My husband is an actor so he is frequently memorizing. We just think it's fun. I memorized the Westminster Shorter Catechism (the whole thing) in college to earn a $$$$ scholarship. Memory work is vital to breadwinning at our house, the acting volunteer jobs we do at church, and last but not least, it helped me get through college. OK, plus I have the intrinsic admiration for my Grandpa who would recite poems that he had learned in childhood. My favorite junior high English teacher required poem memorization. My favorite history prof in college highly touted it. And even the other day on NPR, I felt warm and fuzzy when I heard an older gentleman reciting the Shakespeare that had sustained him during dangerous times in WWII. I just admire it. :001_smile:

READING BOOKS OVER AND OVER: My husband sincerely enjoys watching movies again and again. YUCK!!!!!!!!!! But, gee, I really do like him. :001_smile: I don't enjoy rereading novels It bores me to tears. I don't mind reading the picture books over and over to the kids. I get so excited when they anticipate the text and I love watching them fall in love with books. I love reading out loud to the dc. I generally speed read and I will gobble up a book without ever really tasting it. Reading books--even chapter books--aloud gives me the chance to savor and enjoy the books. And I love it when my husband reads aloud to us. He can so easily do all the accents!

We finished listening to "A Wrinkle In Time" on audio book not long ago. I thought the book was nice when I was a kid, but hearing it out loud was just wonderful. The audio book we used was read by the author. Simply Wonderful.

Thank you all for sharing, so far!

Andrea

Edited by Andrea Lowry
wrong name cited

Scripted does not fly here. FLL and AAS just did not work for me. I do not like having someone telling me what to do and say each step of the way. I lead in almost everything I am involved in, and I like it that way. I think I'm just stubborn and rebellious :tongue_smilie:. I don't mind repetition. We do memory work everyday. However, I did not use FIAR because reading the same book over and over would drive me nuts. I did not see a purpose in it.

I can't stand scripted. :p I can't stand the repetitive nature of the instructions. I knew enough to not even try "Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading", because I already had Phonic Pathways and it more then detailed enough for instructions.

Mind you I'm the person who is teaching Singapore 1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B without the instructor guides. I did get my hands on one for level 2 and thought, oh my how mind numbing.

I don't mind rereading books. I reread plenty of pictures books. I just have the limit of I wouldn't read the same picture book more then 3 times in on day. Or the same chapter book more then 3 times in a row. (I am changing that to two times. Since even if they kids want a 3 reading they aren't into it. But I will reread that book months later if they want)

I have morphed in my opinions of such styles over the years. I am currently moving through FLL for the 4th time. When I first began teaching FLL with my now-9th grade son I found the scripted lessons awkward and the repetition a bit much. BUT...it did the trick. I found it quite easy to double up on lessons when needed and very simple to skip any repetition that was not necessary. Now, 8 years later, my oldest can recite every single definition and list that he learned in FLL. I would call that success!

Now that I have five school-age children and am fully invested in rhetoric-level work with my oldest 2: Socratic discussions, multi-page papers to correct, multiple foreign languages, Chemistry labs, etc., I FULLY appreciate the ease with which I can accomplish grammar with my 3rd grader. Open and go, finished in 10 minutes. Done. It's a bonus now that it is scripted, because after all of the Socratic discussion and multi-page papers to grade, it's sometimes hard to form a coherent sentence of my own :lol:

The best curriculum is the one that gets done...that is one of the big reasons that I adore FLL. And for those of us who are actively teaching multiple levels for hours and hours a day, some simple, easy-to-accomplish subjects are appreciated.

I like scripted lessons .... here it goes because I am not creative when it comes to education :pand scripted lessons held my hand while I developed my own grove. I have been HS for almost two years so my need for scripted programs had diminished. Now almost 2yrs later I have found confidence in my own strengths to be able to do things on my own with out to much need for them. However, I find myself still liking them because:

Pros

Easy to follow (especially when it is something i am not good at)

Saves time

Open and Go

Can give you ideas to use later

Cons:glare:

Can be annoying especially if it is to scripted

Too Repetitive

Can move to slow or to fast

( but for these cons I find a way to modify it some how)