Menu

just curious---what is your scedule?

Here's a rough idea of our schedule

My oldest (upcoming 12th grader) takes classes at the community college, and works completely on her own during the day -- she knows her assignments and turns them in at the end of the day, so she isn't included in this schedule, save for meal times and Tae Kwon Do

My boys (upcoming 9th and 4th graders) work independently, unless they run into problems. I read-aloud to my 4th grader, using Sonlight, but I often do that in the late afternoon or even at bedtime

My youngest (upcoming 1st grader) has special needs, so I work with her 1-on-1 most of the time, although it doesn't take her an hour for each subject! So I give her a break in between each one and she can play or color or use the computer, etc.

7:30 - 8:00 - breakfast

8:00 - 9:00 - math

9:00 - 10:00 - English

10:00 - 11:00 - history

11:00 - 12:00 - science

12:00 - 12:30 - lunch

12:30 - 1:30 - art

1:30 - 2:30 - Spanish (9th grader only)

2:30 - 5:30 - free time

5:30 - 6:00 - dinner

6:00 - 9:00 - tae kwon do lessons (Mon, Wed, Fri)

6:00 - 9:00 - free time (Tues, Thurs)

9:00 - bedtime

Mine are young, so our schedule is very flexible. My goal is to school in the morning and have our afternoons free; my oldest does better in the morning. We start with math as that is her hardest subject and she's fresh and ready to go.

9-9:30 math

9:30-10:30 language/reading/writing

10:30-11 - break/recess outside if nice :)

11-12 - History on M/W, Science T/TH, Art Friday

We do a lot of read-alouds all together in the afternoons/evenings; and we are a very crafty family so we are often crafting all together in the afternoons. Next year I'll have a 2nd grade, K'er and Pre-K so we'll see how much structure I need to add.

I'm thinking:

9-9:45 - math

9:45-10 - break

10-10:45 - language arts (reading/writing/phonics)

10:45-11 - break

11-12 - history (M/W), Science (T,Th), Art Fridays

Also on Tuesdays the oldest 2 will have music classes and on Wednesdays they are all in our church choir. Fridays are lighter as we have a regular homeschool playgroup.

HTH

I get up very early for peace, quiet, and coffee w/ my dh.

Children are up by 6:45. They make beds and tidy rooms as well as do personal grooming (getting dressed, washing faces, brushing teeth, etc.). This is the older kids' individual coffee time/Bible reading.

Morning Jobs begin at 7:30.

Breafast prep at 7:00 or 7:30, breakfast at 7:30 or 8. We do Bible reading, catechism, and special reading at this time, too.

Clean up and jobs 8:30.

School at 9:00 ( I work w/ the younger children individually at the table. My older children go off and do independent schoolwork for one hour).

10:00 Individual work w/ older kids. Little ones play or draw quietly.

11:00 clean up, break, lunch prep

11:30 or 12:00 Lunch (I read aloud during lunch)

12:00 or 12:30 Lunch clean up, jobs, and read aloud to little ones before naptime.

1:00 quiet time for everyone.

2:00 afternoon school (history or science) Little ones play.

3:00 snack, break, play outside, housework or laundry

4:00 Jobs, sitting time (for little ones), dinner prep.

4:30 Little ones watch a video while I cook dinner.

6:00 or 6:30 supper

7:00 or 7:30 clean up

8:00 bedtime for little ones, bigger kids have free time.

9:00 recommended bedtime or evening reading for older kids. They normally choose their own bedtime, which is around 9 or 9:30. I read, work on the computer, or do laundry.

10:00 Bedtime (I hope :o).

School is 4 days per week (10 weeks on, 2 weeks off year-round).

We also have one housework day per week (our day off school). I try to schedule appointments or fellowship w/ friends on our day off.

I let my children have friends over on Thursdays. They have to complete their schoolwork first. Friends usually come from 2:00 until 5:00 (these are homeschooled kids during the official school year).

Blessings!

Camy

I would start scheduling slowly. Your dd will be in kindergarten. Your schedule will be as unique as your family, and it will surely take tweaking along the way to make it work best for you.

I prefer to begin at a set time each day, and that time has shifted occasionally as my kids have gotten older. (Unfortunately, we begin later instead of earlier, lol.) It makes ME get on track, and they know what to expect.

How long it will take depends on a number of things, including what exactly you would count as school. :) For kindergarten, I would gently introduce table time. If your child is not already doing some type of table work, they will probably look at this as an exciting "big kid" activity. I would keep it short, focusing on what is appropriate for your child's abilities (letter formation, early math perhaps?). Table time has worked best for us in shorter spurts.

When my kids were younger (we began hsing when my older dd was in 1st grade), she did copywork, phonics, math daily at the table. I did a few read alouds, one while my kids ate breakfast and lunch (because my 3 year old was captive in his high chair), and one to my dd at bedtime. We did fun science experiments out of Janice VanCleave books and enjoyed Magic School Bus books and videos. They did educational type computer games (Reader Rabbit for example). We spent time together, just enjoying ourselves. TV was kept to a minimum, and playtime, both inside and outside was encouraged. We took walks when we could, and cooked together too.

Our days were pretty relaxed, and I guess I would consider that we schooled throughout the day--although most of it wasn't formal "school."

This is such a fun time, a fun age! I made it a point to do something really fun when ps started, in an effort to remind my kids that hsing is FUN. Back then, we would also do a fast food lunch once a week, and when the weather was nice, we'd take breakfast to the park, read books on the trampoline or on the front porch, practice letter writing on the driveway with chalk, and do other outdoor crafts.

It seems like most of us who begin with a schedule gradually pull back from it a little bit once we become more comfortable with our abilities and our days. You'll probably find that your child will guide some of your decisions--for me, the challenge was to change my dd's ps mentality that we MUST do math from 8:20 to 9:15, take a 10 minute recess, and then do writing from 9:30 to 10, etc. We even had free desks that we set up in our kitchen to help with the transition, lol.

Ooh, that time has passed by so quickly, I'm starting to go on like an old person. :)

I have already posted that I am new to all of this. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on sceduling.

What time do you start school each day?

HOw long does it take?

Do you spread it out throughout the day?

ETC.

2008_2009Week.jpg

I get up at 6:00 am, I have until 8:00 am to get the kids up, fed, dressed and their morning chores done, including my morning chores and shower.

I put the approx. amount of time for each subject on the very left. The subjects in yellow are to be done every day no matter what. Everything before lunch is our core and secondary subjects, everything after lunch is gravy. Jack is our dog.

Ds4's preschool will be done during the day utilizing the time dd8 will have independent work. The kids are to do their afternoon chores while I fix lunch if dd does not finish hers, the afternoon activities start dropping away. Ds4 still needs training in his chores for the most part.

Our core studies (to be done no matter what) = 2 hrs and 15 min approx.

Add our secondary studies = 3 hrs and 45 min approx.

Well, I think this will vary with the age and number of your children.

I take an older child to private high school between 7-7:30 each day and get back home by 8or a little before. My younger son and I try to start our school work by about 8 each day.

We either start with reading, if we don't have to go out later or can still make time for it; or we do written work first if we're going out because that's more difficult to do on the go, in the car, etc.

He was in fourth grade this year and I moved our 20 minute or less lessons up to mostly 30 minutes each this year. That will continue for next year. It still often takes him much less time than this to get his written work done, and that translates into more reading time for us, which is what we really love!

I tend to keep about an 8-3 schedule, but we do interrupt our days all year long to do outside activities as they come up. We don't have too much trouble making up that work now, but by the time he's in about seventh grade, I will have to limit outside activities a little more. This schedule just makes for good practice, in my opinion, in case they ever go back to school. It helps them be similar to all the other kids who are their friends who don't homeschool - so they're all outside ready to play about the same in the afternoon. It's similar to many types of work schedules they may have to adopt when they start working, etc. I just think it helps them to become accustomed to what is a typical day for much of America.

So, my schedule for next year looks something like this:

8-8:30 Bible/Character study

8:30-9 Math

9-9:30 Spelling/Word Study/Dictionary Skills

9:30-10 Handwriting/Writing

10-10:30 Grammar

10:30-11 Literature time (reading aloud; tends to move to first thing when we can and tends to be lots longer than 30 minutes, LOL!)

11-11:30 Geography - M,W,F / Logic - T,R

11:30-12 Latin/Spanish alternating, so 5 classes of each every two weeks

12-1 Lunch

1-1:30 Reading (his read alone time; tends to stretch out way longer than this as he reads any time we're in the car)

1:30-3:30 History - M,W / Science - T,R and finish up with either or both on Fridays - this is the only thing that really, really worries me right now as this is the time that generally tends to get cut out of our day for outside activities, so I have to figure out what's going to happen with this next year. With gas prices continuing to increase, we may not be going anywhere, anyway, LOL, so maybe it won't end up being an issue....

Fridays is also a light day of work for us in which we typically do field trips, although any type trips may get limited due to gas prices this upcoming year!

After about 3:30, when I typically pick up my older son from school, we often have afternoon sports practices and events, Scouts, and other similar things going on almost up to (and sometimes even past) dinner time. We eat about 7, typically, and I'd like my younger son in bed by 8:30, although that doesn't always happen....

Jessica,

You are so organized!

2008_2009Week.jpg

I get up at 6:00 am, I have until 8:00 am to get the kids up, fed, dressed and their morning chores done, including my morning chores and shower.

I put the approx. amount of time for each subject on the very left. The subjects in yellow are to be done every day no matter what. Everything before lunch is our core and secondary subjects, everything after lunch is gravy. Jack is our dog.

Ds4's preschool will be done during the day utilizing the time dd8 will have independent work. The kids are to do their afternoon chores while I fix lunch if dd does not finish hers, the afternoon activities start dropping away. Ds4 still needs training in his chores for the most part.

Our core studies (to be done no matter what) = 2 hrs and 15 min approx.

Add our secondary studies = 3 hrs and 45 min approx.

Here's my current schedule.

I'm up at around 6am to do devotions, exercise, and shower.

8am kids get up, we all have breakfast, kids get dressed, etc, and we all do our chores

9am school starts with Bible study for everybody

9:30 I go over 12yo's assignements with him and do his Latin lesson while 10yo does reading

10:00 12yo is on his own to finish his work in whatever order he prefers, 10yo does copywork, math drill, and typing, I work with 5yo

10:30 I do 10yo's lessons - math, grammar, Latin, logic, etc

11:00 10yo is sent off to do his seat work; I work with 5yo again

11:30 I start making lunch

12:30 read aloud with 10yo, then science and history

2:00 art and music, though we don't get to it every day

The times are very approximate. Often we start 10 or 15 minutes late and those 30 minute time slots often take 45 minutes to complete. So, though we should be finished with school by 2:30, we're sometimes not finished until 3:30.

Your schedule will depend a lot on your children - how many you have and what their ages are. I've been homeschooling for 8 years and our schedule has changed tremendously over the years. The book Managers of Their Homes is very good for teaching you how to schedule your day.

There is pretty much an a.m. routine and everyone is ready at

7:30A devotion

7:45-9:15 math/ grammar rotated with child

9:15-9:30 break(usually outside to run)

9:30-10:30 grammar, spelling, lit./grammar rotated with child

10:30-11 start history/science alternating semesters usually review, short quiz, read over narrations

11-11:30 tidy school room(put away everything completed take out books for afternoon) lunch

11:30-12:30 history/science completion alternating semesters.

12:30-1 latin

1-1:15 break

1:15-2:15 reading time ( 15min -1 hr depending on age) finish whatever work didn't get completed

This is not set in stone and we usually get through most everything by lunch depending on the child but it's a plan if things go awry and we need to refocus. My children are fairly independent workers and like to get things done so they have more time to do their thing.

My 16yod sets her own schedule. I give her her daily spelling test (Sequential Spelling for Adults) first off every day & then she works independently, asking for her if she needs it. Thursdays & Fridays this term she is taking Horticulture 1 at the local polytech & she rides her bike there & back on nice days.

I aim to start our lessons at 9:00 with the boys. I work first with ds#1 as he has more trouble getting focused. Together we do his core subjects (spelling, literature, latin, & science). This can take anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on the day. During this time ds#2 works on what he can independently. I've broken his work into 4 blocks & he can choose the order of the subjects with-in each block, but must do the blocks in the order on his weekly work list. Each block should take no more than an hour. Block 1 (math copywork, 1 MUS page, violin practice) & Block 2 (copywork, spelling, geography, & reading) is usually completed while I work with ds#1. By 11:00 I send ds#1 to complete his independent work (math, copywork, geography, & drum practice) & work with ds#2 on his block 3 (latin, grammar, & science). This may take up to an hour. After he's completed ds has his block 4 (typing, Japanese, & Kana) to finish. By 1:00 we are finished & after lunch the boys have free time until their "afterschool" activities. 3 days a week they have papers to deliver. On other days they have scouts, gymnastics, soccer, swimming, music lessons, etc.

What time do you start school each day?

We start between 9 and 10 Monday through Thursday whenever our mourning routine is finished. Our mourning routine consists of waking up, dressing, eating a healthy breakfast, doing personal and pet care (rabbits and cats).

HOw long does it take?

I teach each girl seperately because they distract each other too much. I spend about 15 t0 30 minutes with my youngest doing math and phonics. Then I spend about an hour with my oldest while we work on math, grammar, Latin and spelling.

Then we spend some time together working on individual projects.

Do you spread it out throughout the day?

Learning does happen throughout the day but it is not structured. They are sent outside to play where they find bugs, examine plants, play with sand, play in the water, help in the garden.

We cook, make bread, can, and help pick up.

They also play a lot because I believe that children should play as it helps them to learn so much about the world and work out difficulties on their own through playing with toys.

We school Monday through Thursday, go to the Library on Thursdays, have enrichment club (crafts, cooperative games, show & tell, stories, and songs) and playgroup on Fridays, every other Tuesday we do grocery shopping and we spend weekends with Daddy in the garden.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

I'm so amazed at these schedules. I feel like a total slacker! I'm up early to w/o before the girls get up ~ 7am. Dd12 is up by 8, has breakfest and then reads for an hour. Dd7 is my late sleeper... she is up by 10. I write out all the subjects we need to cover that day and I pretty much let them decide which order they wish to finish them. In the winter we cover reading in the AM and then most of our writing, math, languages, science, history, etc in the afternoon (12-4ish). In the summer both girls tend to get up by 8 and the schedule flips with math & languages in the AM and reading left for after we go to the pool. So far this has worked but I may have to get a bit more scheduled as dd12 moves into her high school years.

I'm going to revamp my schedule for next year, and try to find some way to keep school from taking FOREVER. The only time we ever really work this out is if we start early on a consistent basis.

I'll post a schedule if I can ever make one that actually works, isn't acutely painful, and that we really do follow. I know one thing, though -we fiddle faddle too much all day long, in between, and that's what drags the day out. Even small interruptions add up.

Next year, it's no more nonsense! 34.gif