Menu

Stock up on household things for after labor?

Does anyone try to stock up on the things they will need during the first weeks after having a newborn so that they don't need to run to the store?

I'm almost 36 weeks and I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable. Running to the store several times a week is just getting to be miserable. I'm going to two stores this afternoon in hopes of getting a lot of things that we will need until after baby is born.

Help me remember everything!

I'm already getting bottled water, pull ups for my 4 year old (:glare:), toiletries, paper towels, paper goods (so the dishes won't pile up after baby is born), kids toiletries, dog food....what else am I forgetting?

I'm also trying to get some easy grocery staples like spaghetti sauce, taco seasoning, stuff like that. What are some really easy meals that can be fixed that I should be stocking up for? We'll have some help with some meals after baby is born, but I'm sure we'll have to fix a few of our own too.

About six weeks before I was due I started delivery from Amazon for subscribe and save on diapers, wipes, and disposable changing pads (I like them in my diaper bag, don't use them at home). I also ordered some one time should do it things, knowing I could order again or pick up at the store a few months after having the baby, but just didn't want to worry about it for a while after bringing him home.

The month before, I also stocked up on things to eat, cook and have on hand so I wouldn't have to go out if I didn't want to (I wouldn't run out for a few months) - things like mayo, bottled water, beverages we like, etc. And DH was awesome about asking every few days if we needed anything, he'd pick it up on his way home so I wouldn't have to go out too!

I really dislike frozen meals....but you are right, I should probably have something super simple sometimes.

Good idea about the Amazon thing, I'll look into that.

And yes, DH is really good about stopping by the store on the way home. But sometimes he's clueless and doesn't know exactly what to get LOL. He calls me about a million times from the store.

I live in a village with no stores, so I have stocked up on staples. I order everything on Amazon except the perishables which my husband brings in when he goes to Anchorage.

I recommend stocking up on things you can prepare with minimal work. Some of my favorites:

Trader Joe's simmer sauces (we buy the Indian ones). Simmer with cooked chicken and serve over rice.

Frozen meatballs from Costco

(Actually, I'd get a whole bunch of frozen stuff from Costco - veggie patties, tilapia fillets, ravioli)

Frontier soup kits are YUMMY and healthy (on Amazon - really just add water and maybe some meat)

Powdered milk is not bad and is more than adequate on cereal. I'd get a box to have in the wings.

Frozen veggies are totally fine and won't rot :)

Dried fruit & nut mixes

Luna/Kashi/Clif/Balance bars (especially for you)

Crystal Light unless you're opposed

It's amazing what you can get delivered to your door in 2 days with Amazon Prime. I'd sign up for all the household stuff, especially soap and toilet paper.

What are some really easy meals that can be fixed that I should be stocking up for?

I put all my recipes in Plan to Eat. It's super easy to import recipes from places like allrecipes.com or cooks.com. Then you can create a planner (again, super easy) and it makes you a shopping list. This is INVALUABLE when you can't run to the store for something you've forgotten. Double the recipes if you want leftovers.

A few favorite, easy meals

Quinoa & Black Beans (I add diced tomatoes)

Classic Goulash

Shepherd's Pie (I use instant mashed potatoes)

Cheesy Salmon Pasta

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but do you have access to a supermarket that takes online orders? Our local Harris Teeter takes online orders, bags the groceries for you, and brings them out to your vehicle. I anticipate using this service for at least a month after baby is born.

I have a few things in the freezer -- frozen pizza, a pan of lasagna (I made two the last time and just froze one), chili...