Menu

I want to quit...

She is officially accepted in the enriched program (aka honours program). No conditions whatsoever.

At least it means I'm a good teacher ;-)

I've found the recognition I have had since the boys have been in school very gratifying. All those years of unacknowledged work came down to this: they were pleasant, knowledgeable, thoughtful boys.

Laura

She is officially accepted in the enriched program (aka honours program). No conditions whatsoever.

At least it means I'm a good teacher ;-)

Congratulations! It definitely means you've been a good teacher especially since you said you didn't totally follow their curricula path.

:grouphug: as you make your decision.

I just realized something...

One of the reasons I want the kids in school is that I want my normalcy back. I'm tired of being the outsider, of having to explain over and over again that we homeschool, yes it's legal, no, it's not detrimental to the kids, and if my son is weird it's not because he homeschools.

I'm just tired... Is that a good enough reason?

I'm just tired... Is that a good enough reason?

I am so much less worried, anxious, sleepless.... than I was. Sometimes you just need to listen to your own needs. If you have found a good situation for your children and you are ready to move on, then that's okay. It's fine.

Laura

I am a little late in reading this thread, so first of all, congrats to you and your daughter! It feels so good to know that we have prepared our children well.

I went through a similar struggle with my 2 oldest girls last year. They are both doing really well in a charter school this year, and I am feeling very relieved. Last year I knew they needed more than what I could give them, and I'm so glad I had the courage to make the change. I spent many sleepless nights mulling over the decision. I think my dh thought I was nuts. Not everything about school is perfect, but it was the right decision for our family.

Best wishes to your and your dd on this new adventure.

When my children were in school, I was part of a community of people who were all focused on raising and educating this group of children. That was a wonderful feeling. I miss it. There was the companionship of the other mothers and lots of experienced professionals helping me and watching out for my children. Compare that situation to your situation of homeschooling in a place where homeschooling is illegal and frowned upon. There is a big difference. So it might be the normalcy of having the support of your community, not just the normalcy of not being the odd one and having to justify yourself all the time.

Nan

And maybe the fact that you're dd did so well w/o any prep is indication that this school might not be "all that." And that she'll learn a lot more at home.

Laura

I know that school for having gone through it, and my sister did too, and so did my niece. It truly is one of the best good schools for girls in the province. Not just academically, but also from a human relationship point of view. It's the only school where I would lead my daughter. In fact, I've always homeschooled saying that I should at least match what they do. I guess I did :lol:

I guess we're keeping our son home, because I just sent an email to the community to prepare a trip to Honduras :001_smile:

I hope this will work out.

As for my daughter, this morning I was sure we were going to sign her up, and tonight I'm sure she's not going. :confused:

:grouphug:

and I really wish you could move here, because homeschooling is not so weird here and I could really use a fellow homeschooler like you in my life!!

I know that school for having gone through it, and my sister did too, and so did my niece. It truly is one of the best good schools for girls in the province. Not just academically, but also from a human relationship point of view. It's the only school where I would lead my daughter. In fact, I've always homeschooled saying that I should at least match what they do. I guess I did :lol:

We have an all boys school here, and we have to make a similar decision soon. It's the only school I'd want my son to go to, but as he gets older, I'm finding that like you, I'm not sure if I it's the best decision for him. I also struggle with ending this journey with him. Unfortunately we don't have that option for my daughters, who would probably be better suited for an academically rigorous single gender school.

Best of luck on your decision.

Laura