Menu

Book ideas for 13 year old boy who hates to read!

mamafox

My 13 year old son hates to read!!!! I'm trying to get some books that will really hold his interest and make him laugh. I feel like I have failed him because I have not "forced" him to read but I think the time has come. He has been a classic "Better Late Than Early" so far and I'm hoping that if I give him some good books he will see that reading can be fun. I would love any suggestions!!!!!

Thanks!

Debbie

So far my 12yo has most enjoyed books that come alive for him or really get him to think:

-My Side Of The Mountain we ended with a camping trip after learning survival skills throughout.

-The Giver and anything by Margaret Peterson Haddix are just weird.

-Looking for Marco Polo took us on a walk through Venice.

-Treasure Island had us at the ocean every day up on the rocks.

-any of the -ology style books because it's bitesized information.

-fantasy fiction. Talking animals, strange worlds, all that.

The ones he has not liked much are the straight up historical fiction that have great writing but not very relevant to his life (usually the Sonlight picks). He endures them, but doesn't love them. He did read the Three Musketeers on his own and did like that, but not so much for things like A Single Shard or The Bronze Bow.

Not great literature, but the Percy Jackson books had my son on the edge of his seat. He is addicted to them, in a good way. He actually was tracking on their website when the next one would be released.

For better quality he liked Graveyard Boy a lot, and LOVED Ender's Game.

My 13 year old son hates to read!!!! I'm trying to get some books that will really hold his interest and make him laugh. I feel like I have failed him because I have not "forced" him to read but I think the time has come. He has been a classic "Better Late Than Early" so far and I'm hoping that if I give him some good books he will see that reading can be fun. I would love any suggestions!!!!!

Thanks!

Debbie

Artemis Fowl series?

Ranger's Apprentice is a great boy series

Lightning Thief series is humorous

Just found this site, might be helpful

Does he read well but just not like it? In other words, does he read at a seventh grade level?

What are his interests? What does he like to do with his free time? What is he doing during times of the day that he might otherwise be expected to be reading?

I have a son the same age as yours who reads like crazy, so we have a LOT of boy-type books in the house. If you could tell me a little more about your son, I'll ask my son to brainstorm some ideas for you.

My boy is much younger than yours so I don't really have any of my own personal advice to give ;). I would however recommend reading The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. Check if your library carries it. It is a great resource for figuring out how to approach children and how to help them become readers based on their own interests. I hope this helps you somehow!

Not great literature, but the Percy Jackson books had my son on the edge of his seat. He is addicted to them, in a good way. He actually was tracking on their website when the next one would be released.

For better quality he liked Graveyard Boy a lot, and LOVED Ender's Game.

These were two series that my ds actually read. He struggled for years in ps, and is still not an enthusiastic reader.

He also loved The Giver. I think I'll be handing him Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series next.

Also, don't forget to try non-fiction. Biographies etc. Ds likes these.

I'm in the same boat with ds (8). I ordered him Boys Life magazine - which is put out by the boy scouts. I'm also planning on ordering Sports Illustrated Kids soon as well. I came across this website not long ago: http://www.gettingboystoread.com

It's got some really neat ideas specifically for boys. My oldest ds is a big reader....he likes 39 Clues and is currently on book one of Left Behind series (adult version). I hope this helps some! I'll be reading all the posts too b/c I need help for my other ds! :)