Menu

Native American historical fiction with male main characters??

Jayne J

We are studying the various tribes of Native Americans this year, and my ds has really gotten excited about it. It is driving him to read a lot more and do some independent learning. My problem is finding fiction for him to read--all the historical fiction books I can find have female protagonists and that turns him off a bit. We've read Birchbark House, Nightbird, Meet Kaya, (all girls) and plan to read The Sign of the Beaver, but I'd really love more suggestions that have male protagonists. Anything about the Nez Perce people would be especially welcome.

(As a general note, I am finding an overwhelming amount of historical fiction is written for and about girls--so frustrating!)

Star Boy- you'd need to explain that multiple tribs have Sun Dances.

CloudWalker: Contemporary Native Stories has some boys.

Walk the World's Rim- about Spanish explorers, a slave, and a Native boy.

A Boy Named Beckoning- about a boy who was captured and sold.

I have more if you are willing to read adult books and edit difficult content.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'd like to stick to stories that ds can read himself or that don't require too much alteration--I'm not great at on the fly editing. I've been eyeballing Om-Kas-Toe (of course my library doesn't have it) so I checked Amazon. One copy was going for over 600$ :lol: Gotta love the wacky Amazon prices.

:bigear:

Thanks for the recommendations! I'd like to stick to stories that ds can read himself or that don't require too much alteration--I'm not great at on the fly editing. I've been eyeballing Om-Kas-Toe (of course my library doesn't have it) so I checked Amazon. One copy was going for over 600$ :lol: Gotta love the wacky Amazon prices.

:bigear:

Om-Kas-Toe was a big hit with my kids but I can't imagine why someone would try to sell it for over $600! :tongue_smilie: Here is a used copy for just over a dollar.

Kenneth Thomasma (Om-Kas-Toe and Naya Nuki) has many other boy Native American heroes.

Walk the World's Rim has a boy, but at times that book is a yawner.

My son loved these (age 8 to 9 at the time). These are Sonlight choices for core 3. There are others in the Om-Kas-Toe and Naya Nuki style.

What about the Indian in the Cupboard? I remember reading it as a child...

I realize it isn't accurate or historical fiction but it might be enjoyable!

It might be better to do this away from books about actual Native Americans. The ideas are so dissimilar from actual Native peoples and tribes that I see it more as a point of confusion then beneficial. YMMV.