Menu

Science for second grade

My oldest is in second grade and science is just not getting done. I've had BFSU since she was in K and though I love the book and wish I could make it work I just can't. It doesn't match my teaching style and with 3 other littles and another on the way I just can't put in the energy to do it. So, now I'm thinking that I'd like to do earth science. We haven't done life science yet, but I figure she can just tag along with ds next year when he's in first grade. The main two that I'm looking at are RSO and Elemental Science. Looking at all of the levels RSO seems to be meatier and cover more topics but Elemental Science seems like it might be easier on mom. If you use either of these programs what do you like and dislike about them? Would you call it easy for mom to use? Is it hard to find all of the needed items for the activities?

Also, my dd is especially interested in rocks and crystals. Any ideas of something extra to do or use to study them? I don't think either of the curricula would be satisfying to her on that topic.

I started RSO last year, but never had the right things around the house and found myself too often saying "Let's just pretend we were doing this experiment, what do you THINK would happen?". We were all really annoyed by this, so I started to look for a program that included everything I would need. I ended up with Nancy Larson Science 1, which I thought might be too easy for my science-addict 2nd grader. It did start off easy, but he and his K brother both loved it. We are doing NL Science 2 this year and we all still love it. It was very manageable for me as it is scripted and includes the materials we will need for the lessons. The down side is that it is pricy, but I don't think I am spending that much more when I consider the trips to the store for supplies that I no longer have to deal with - plus most of it is re-useable so I can use it with my younger kids too. Dividing the cost up by 5 made it seem like a bargain. :)

Good luck in your decision!

For earth science I got a kid-friendly earth science encyclopedia and we read through it over the course of the year. We did some narrations, occasionally colored a coloring page, memorized some definitions, and viola! Science.

The kids still remember all their definitions.

Tara

So I started this year (first grade) with Real Science Odessey Life. It was not a hit at our home. I will save it for later. Getting all the supplies was a challange for me because I have three kids and would forget to put something on my list etc etc. I just recently purchased Elemental Science but I have not recieved all my books that coincide with the porgram so I can't say which is easier to implement. I switched to the later because the projects appear more in line with my six year son's ability. In addition the experiements in Life science were not appealing to him right now. When I looked into buying just a chemistry kit or science activity book it would cost almost as much as the Elemental Science. I felt that at least he would get a broad base this year and we can jump into something heavier next year. This does not appeal to everyone but I am considering it for next year. Instead of purchasing a curriculum. Purchase a great spine like Kingfisher or Usborne science encyclopedia. Then go through and tab what you will study for the year. Gather your resources and teach that way rather than a curriculum. HTH.

I'm doing RSO Science after buying Elemental Science - chemistry, bio and earth during a sale. To be honest, Elemental Life seemed trivial and boring to me (after I printed it all out and bought all the books). I went with RSO life and we are having fun. They aren't necessarily learning the big picture bout life science, and vocabulary isn't really stressed - but having fun is our main objective with science right now. It was a bit of a pain finding the right creatures. I remember spending hours in 2 different parks in 2 different days looking for snails. I think it was too hot and dry. Same goes for earth worms. Ended up borrowing some from a friend!

Overall it was fun!

I am skipping the plants and just doing animals and the human body. They learned about plants in public school and I have no passion for the subject :D.

I plan to move on to Earth/Astronomy science next and will probably choose RSO.

We are using Elemental Science Earth and Space this year for 2nd Grade. We really enjoy it. I also have a 4 yo (Pre-K) and a 20 month old. ES is very easy for me to implement, and we all look forward to it.

I read the recommended section in the Usborne book. The Pre-K'er has enjoyed listening in to the topics, so far. DD then writes a short summary (all student pages are included). We then read extra books I've gotten from the library (all recommendations included in the curriculum). We have had fun with several hands-on projects including making a paper machier model of earth and a salt dough volcano (which we erupted today).

Hth.... Good luck!

RSO has been great at our house. We use it as a springboard, when the kiddo wants more, but the good thing is that it always gets done.

I ordered the supply kit for RSO, so looking for the supplies was never an issue. Home Science Tools carries supply kits for many programs, RSO included. I highly recommend that option! I think it ran around $75, but worth every penny.

The kiddo was just looking through his RSO notebook yesterday, reminiscing about experiments from last year... I'd say he enjoyed it! :)

We also have enjoyed the "Let's Read and Find Out" series along with some little experiments and a few lapbooks thrown into the mix. These books are just right for the 2nd grade group. You should be able to find most if not all of the Read and Find Out books at the library.

We've also enjoyed the Magic School Bus experiment kits in our home. They are easy for me to pull out along with the topics studied and everything is included. They aren't overly expensive and my son has really enjoyed them.

Another place to get ideas for easy experiments is Janice VanCleave. She has a lot of books on many science topics. You can just pick and chose a couple here and there to go with what you are studying. Your library should carry her books.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts! :) I've been thinking more about what will get done at our house and re-reading WTM. It's exactly what I want! We love to read books and one activity a week is about what I can handle. DD would enjoy more, but one is all I can commit to. I've considered trying to just do it on my own, but I think I'm better off using someone else's schedule and can add in a little if needed. So it sounds like Elemental Science is what I want. I'm going to ponder it for a few more days, then order it if I still feel it's best.