Menu

More epics?

The Cid, translation by Byrd Simpson, which is the edition Invitation to the Classics recommends. It is completely different in tone than Song of Roland. (It has humour in it.) It made me want to learn Spanish; Invitation also mentions some other interesting-sounding Spanish classics that I am sure are better in the original language.

DD loves the Iliad and Beowulf. She read The Song of Roland in one sitting today and loves it too.

Any suggestions for more heroic epics she could read?

(She read Odyssey and Aeneid, but did not like them quite as much)

Thanks.

Which version of Song of Roland did she like so much?

My kids also liked the Iliad much more than they Odyssey - wouldn't have expected that.

I'm a little fuzzy about what is and what is not an epic, but judging by the things she has liked so far, what about:

Gilgamesh

Tristan et Iseult

Auccasin et Nicolette

The Mabinogeon

And aren't there some Icelandic ones? I seem to remember that my children had children's versions of some that they adored.

Nan

ETA - LOL - Ok, just found a list of epic and heroic poems in my Medieval Lit compendium. It has a few others:

The Battle of Maldon (991)

The Exile of the sons of Usnech (xth)

The Death of Digenis Akrites (xth)

The song of Altabiskar (?)

The song of the Battle of Igor (1186)

The Lay of the Nibulungs (c. 1200)

The Lay of Thrim (c. 1270) (This one is Icelandic)

Aucassin et Nicolette is listed as not an epic (it is a chantefable) and is c. 1200.

There are a whole lot of Irish heroic tales that she might like (my children did) about Cú Chulainn and others.

Edited by Nan in Mass

Le Morte D'Arthur

The Faerie Queene

Orlando Furioso

Dante's Inferno

Paradise Lost

Faust

The Lady of the Lake / The Lay of the Minstrel (Scott)

Queen Mab (Shelley)

Endymion (Keats)

Evangeline (Longfellow)

There's TONS of this kind of stuff with the early Victorians, there's a wonderful and out of print book called The Victorians and Their Reading which details what the POPULAR reading (as opposed to literary reading) of the day was and there is a LOT of epic poetry listed. If she's only interested in the older stuff, tho, there is still plenty - start with the first three on my list, and then branch out into other cultures for the Eddas and the Indian poetry, there's some beautiful and amazing stuff out there.

Denise (who is apparently a bigger lit geek than she thought ;) )

DD loves the Iliad and Beowulf. She read The Song of Roland in one sitting today and loves it too.

Any suggestions for more heroic epics she could read?

(She read Odyssey and Aeneid, but did not like them quite as much)

Thanks.

My dd is really enjoying this anthology http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Victorian_002&Category_Code= Not all of the poetry is epic, but it does include Marmion, an abridged version of Lady of the Lake, and other works that were contained originally in the Royal Readers in the 1800s.

The link has the ability to pull down the table of contents.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!! Some I know, some I have never heard of.

She just read the Nibelungenlied (in German) and did NOT like it, LOL - she thought Kriemhild was a b*tch, Siegfried was not a hero but an idiot, Guther a wimp - and the only person one can like and feel sorry for is Brunhild. A rather succinct summary.

She has read a lot of Tennyson, Faust is on the German Lit list, Dante is next on our reading list for this semester.

I'll see if I can find the others.

Would not know what to do without you guys.

I would take a peak at Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" book. I think he covers all of them and, as I remember, there was a good reading list. You might also try the "Ramayana of Valmiki"...there's supposed to be a new "cool" translation with art work and explanations. The epic is supposedly the source of many of our familiar fairy tales and stories. I read a bit of it in the Norton Anthology of World Literature and it is now on my wish-list at Amazon.