Menu

s/o musings thread... "homeschool blindspots" article (CC)

Joanne's thread about how her point of view on homeschooling has changed reminded me of this article (it's on Josh Harris's blog, but is an excerpt from a longer article by Reb Bradley). I'm linking his excerpt because I think it's a good synopsis, and plenty long. http://www.joshharris.com/2011/09/homeschool_blindspots.php

It has been on my mind ever since I read it. It encapsulates some of the unhealthy thinking I have observed in myself (though I haven't been as hard-core in terms of "convictions") and in others (some of whom are MORE hard-core than Bradley), and has confirmed a recently developing openness in my mind and heart to the idea of public school, at some point. It's also motivating me to focus on my *relationships* with my children, far more than protecting them, managing them, etc. I really appreciate his sharing his personal story... how things went with his son. There truly are no guarantees, and how damaging to inflict expectations on our children. I think this generation of homeschoolers is being humbled, and I think the fruit will be good.

I'd love to hear how it hits you.

I am not a Reb Bradley (I saw him and his wife in person years ago) or Josh Harris fan.

I liked the linked post a lot. I especially liked 2, 5, 6, and 7. I wrote a blog post about making "family" an idol a few years back.

Mrs. Bradley said in the homeschooling conference that now that she's "X" age, she knows all ABOUT Jesus. She just wanted to know him now. That has stuck with me all these years.

I read the entire original article a year or two ago, and it really resonated with me. So much so that I printed out a quote and posted it on my bulletin board in the kitchen. It's a great reminder that what we DO is not as important as who we ARE in Christ. How we live out our faith in the context of our families will have more impact on our kids than any discipline/correction/punishment/etc.

Not Christian, but really enjoyed the article.

Much of it does not apply because of a different faith and belieffs - but it was amazing to me just how much I could take away from it. Truths are truths - and I try to take them wherever they come from.

When I first read it I thought it was probably something all parents could benefit from, not just Christian ones. There's a lot of "God talk" for someone who's not Christian to get past but there's fundamental wisdom there that I think all of us could use. Glad to see you found it so.

Someone once gave me Reb Bradley's book called Child Training Tips. From what I remember, he seemed to be promoting much of the whole "kids must always obey right away, or else" mindset. It sounds as if he may have recanted some, or many or his former beliefs?

I am personally tired of people making their living writing parenting/lifestyle books when their oldest isn't even out of high school yet. (I have no idea how old Bradley's oldest was when he wrote the book I mentioned, but I suspect it was before his oldest got the job at the pizza shop.) I've heard Josh Harris is no longer of the "courtship only" mindset (please tell me of I've heard incorrectly). The Torodes, who wrote Open Embrace, an anti-contraception book when they were about twenty, later recanted their beliefs and are now divorced.

I also know of another couple that wrote a book about raising kids to be good adults when their oldest was maybe 18 and most of the rest were under 12. One of the elders at our former church taught a parenting class when his oldest was 7 or 8!

Are my DH and I the only ones that are bothered by this? I have no problems with people sharing their wisdom with friends or on forums, but earning a living by promoting yourself as a parenting expert, when your kids haven't really faced the world bugs me. Reb Bradley mentioned it took him years to realize that he was too harsh with his son. I'm more inclined to listen to someone who has kids in their 30s; someone that has had enough time to develop hindsight.

I think what bothers us most is the attitudes of these authors. "My way is best, even though my experience is rather limited." Our oldest is 5 and we still have no idea what we are doing so much of the time. I can't imagine considering myself expert enough to teach a parenting class in a year or two, let alone write a book. We'll probably still be muddling through each day, doing our best, and trusting God to make up for our ineptness.

My posts are in no way a reflection of anyone here. I appreciate the collective wisdom of other posters. My irritation is mostly with those who write books or give seminars as a living, using their large family as a selling point. Many neglect to mention that while they have 8 or 10 kids, none of them are adults yet, so we don't really know how many may move out and rebel

I am personally tired of people making their living writing parenting/lifestyle books when their oldest isn't even out of high school yet. (I have no idea how old Bradley's oldest was when he wrote the book I mentioned, but I suspect it was before his oldest got the job at the pizza shop.) I've heard Josh Harris is no longer of the "courtship only" mindset (please tell me of I've heard incorrectly). The Torodes, who wrote Open Embrace, an anti-contraception book when they were about twenty, later recanted their beliefs and are now divorced.

I also know of another couple that wrote a book about raising kids to be good adults when their oldest was maybe 18 and most of the rest were under 12. One of the elders at our former church taught a parenting class when his oldest was 7 or 8!

Are my DH and I the only ones that are bothered by this?

Nope. I remember years ago getting the book Creative Family Times on someone's recommendation. My husband and I were both stunned to see that the author's oldest child was ... six, I think. Yes, it was a book geared toward family's with young children, but still ...

Nope. I remember years ago getting the book Creative Family Times on someone's recommendation. My husband and I were both stunned to see that the author's oldest child was ... six, I think. Yes, it was a book geared toward family's with young children, but still ...

I can see it in certain situations. My sister is a talented day care worker. I, the experienced mom of two, sometimes go to her, the single and childless woman, for advice. She has a special perspective a lot of parents don't have.

So I can see picking up a book by someone like her who's in childcare and finding great stuff in it. But that's an extraordinary exception.

I just read this article last week and loved it. In fact, it's still in my email box so that I can reread it. He makes lots of great points.

Has Joshua Harris really recalled his stance on courtship????:bigear:

This is the text on a rerelease of his I Kissed Dating Goodbye DVDs:

I am often asked if I still agree with what I wrote in my first book I Kissed Dating Goodbye. The answer is that I do, but I'm quick to state that I've never claimed that the ideas I share in it are for everyone, nor that my book is or should be the final word on Christian relationships. The book is simply me at 21 years old sharing my personal journey of learning to honor God with romance and relationships.

I also add that, while I stand by what I wrote, I don't always like the way other people represent or champion the concepts I've written about. Sadly, there have been many times that people have applied its principles in a very legalistic and heavy-handed way. Some people have had my book forced on them or have been treated as though agreeing with me is the only option for Christians. If you're one of those people, I apologize. That certainly wasn't my intention when I wrote it.

I share all this to tell you about a DVD that my publisher released this year that I hope will contribute to clearing up some of the misconceptions that exist about my writing on dating and courtship. The DVD is a combination of both old and new messages that I've given on the topic.