Menu

So I am hung up on this diploma thing...

What is a diploma other than a piece of paper stating that it verifies the education received? Simply print up a diploma. :)

I personally don't see the need for one. My oldest went off to college without the college questioning my homemade transcript. No GED. No diploma. Just a transcript.

If your student is planning to go to college, you'd want to check with colleges of the sort she might want to attend to see what they require of homeschoolers. Most private colleges seem to be pretty good about working with homeschoolers nowadays and have clear policies.

It seems like many state schools are pretty good, too, although my impression is that they may put up more hoops for homeschoolers to jump through than the private institutions. Typical requirements I've heard of include having homeschoolers take more SAT II subject exams or wanting to see some AP or community college credits on the transcripts.

My experience has always been that, as long as you graduate from college, no one really cares about your high school diploma.

I guess it would be a bit dicier if your student weren't going to college. If the high school diploma was going to be "it," I suppose it might matter more to have it be "official."

Some folks do have their kids that the GED, because it's easy for people to understand and satisfies some requirements. However, others I know will do anything to have their kids avoid taking the GED, because they are afraid it lumps their kids in with high school drop-outs.

Other folks go with an accredited umbrella program for high school so their kids get a "real" diploma.

In my daughter's case, she was going directly from homeschool to college. So, the diploma was more or less a matter of our family's personal recognition that she was done with one phase and moving on to the next. We ordered her a lovely, official- and professional-looking diploma from www.homeschooldiploma.com and presented it to her during a very informal private ceremony at a party with family and friends.

I think it depends on where you live (different state laws) and the colleges your daughter will apply to.

Here in NY my daughters will be getting a home-made diploma. If they want to attend City or State University they will need a GED.

Most private colleges that I have contacted do not care about a diploma - they just want a transcript, SAT scores, maybe a few SAT2 tests, no GED required.

It is possible to get a diploma another way from the state here but it involves some extra testing that just did not fit in with my educational philosophy...and I don't trust NYS to really do it, as they have changed the *rules* a few times since we began hsing 12 years ago.

So....my girls may or may not be getting a GED, depending on what college they want to attend.

My advice - check out your state law and a few colleges that look likely!

I don't want ds to get a GED, because it "looks like you couldn't do high school," according to some perceptions out there. Not saying that's true at all.

We will order a really nice diploma, and include transcripts--and I've written out a booklist to include, too--if they want more info at college, they can ask.

I echo everyone who said it depends, too, on the college, so be prepared to have dd take the prereq's and the SAT II's if needed.

Do homeschool kids just say they are graduated? Do you need an actual diploma? Do you have to take a GED exam?:)

Two issues here: practical and ceremonial.

Practical - Do you need an actual diploma? Do you have to take a GED exam? Nope. Get thee to the high school board to learn more about college admission, putting together a transcript, etc. :001_smile:

Ceremonial - Do homeschool kids just say they are graduated? There is something special about the end of an era, and many folks chose to celebrate this. Some will stage their own graduation program, or their support group will put one together. You can make it whatever you like, invite friends and family, etc. Often the graduates themselves will plan it. You can have a diploma printed up if you desire, and present it.

Not real experienced with this topic, as we're just finishing up 9th grade with our oldest, BUT... Our state does not require a diploma, nor a GED. In fact, you need to be careful about getting a GED, as it can "pigeonhole" you negatively in this state as far as higher education.

On the other hand, I do feel it is important within our family to both acknowledge, honor and celebrate the completion of the hard work we've done, so I do print a certificate each year and hold a "mini awards" ceremony just among our family members.

At the end of high school, we will participate in our homeschool group's graduation ceremony in which extended family and friends of each homeschool graduate attend, which is always held at a nice facility and includes a dinner. Each student's family prepares a display board with photos, samples of work or awards/certificates from organizations the student has participated in (sports; Awana; outside class work; science fair ribbons/awards; etc.). Each student gives a short speech, the parents pray a blessing over the student and give the student the diploma they have created for the student.

Another option, is to check and see if the homeschool group that puts on your state's annual homeschool convention might hold a special 8th grade and 12th grade graduation ceremony as part of the convention's events. I believe our state awards a certificate to each participating graduate. While this is not a legal educational diploma, it can be very supportive and affirming to the student to participate in a large scale graduation event, and it may also be the kind of document that has a little more "weight" behind it for the rare institution that might want to see some sort of diploma "proof" of graduation.

Just my 2 cents worth! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I've not had much experience with this yet, either, but have known others who have graduated their kids with no diploma. In fact, another Mom in my state who didn't even believe in letter grades, said that her son got acceptable with a financial package to a state college. On his transcripts she just put "pass" of "finished required work." He did take the SATs and ACTs, so the college had those scores. He was awarded the same scholarship that a public school child, graduating with honors would have. (In our state if you graduate with a certain GPA, you are automatically awarded $8,000 a year to certain state colleges). :)

I was homeschooled and so was my sister and went on to college without a diploma. Our homeschool group gave us one but it wasn't needed for college entrance. We just needed SAT or ACT and a transcript. I've heard to avoid the GED because it kind of has the stigma that you didn't complete school although you really did. If the school says you have to take it hten you have to but we didn't have any requesting that.

Ceremonial - Do homeschool kids just say they are graduated? There is something special about the end of an era, and many folks chose to celebrate this. Some will stage their own graduation program, or their support group will put one together. You can make it whatever you like, invite friends and family, etc. Often the graduates themselves will plan it. You can have a diploma printed up if you desire, and present it.

Here's a link to what I just posted in a thread about graduation celebrations: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31137&highlight=graduation+time

I haven't read through the responses yet, but I have graduated two so far. We have never belonged to an umbrella so I just bought them a diploma online ( 1st through HSLDA and 2nd through http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/ ) and when we felt they had completed our goals for them, we graduated them. We did a small ceremony, gave them the diploma and then had a small party. We don't have them take the GED for personal reasons. Both children were accepted to the schools they applied too and none of the schools asked to see their diplomas.

Anecdotally, I have two friends that dropped out of normal high schools, and had no problem getting into college.

Given that most employers see no value in a high school diploma (a college degree has now replaced it), if you don't have a state mandate it boils down to personal preference.

Do what's best for you and your family.

I do know a couple of homeschoolers who had their kids take the GED as soon as they were eligible. That way, they could homeschool the rest of high school and go to community college as they wanted to without worrying about state oversight.

YMMV

In my area we have a graduation with speakers and about 100 homeschool students. Each homeschool graduate gets to have a lside show presentation showing their life and telling what their future plans are. I love going to them. They are the most interesting ceremonies I've ever seen. The student walks up on to stage while the presentation is playing and the parents walk from the other side of the stage and present the diploma to the student and then they walk off together at the end of the presentation.

In my area we have a graduation with speakers and about 100 homeschool students. Each homeschool graduate gets to have a lside show presentation showing their life and telling what their future plans are. I love going to them. They are the most interesting ceremonies I've ever seen. The student walks up on to stage while the presentation is playing and the parents walk from the other side of the stage and present the diploma to the student and then they walk off together at the end of the presentation.

This really sounds nice!

Frankly, I question the value of a diploma from a public high school. Our state ranks very low in public education (okay, we're almost at the very bottom!). To remedy this, some years ago, our state instituted a mandatory test that every public high school student must pass in order to graduate and receive a diploma. The idea was that teachers weren't teaching enough (Well, how could they? They were having to spend all their time checking off boxes and do paperwork required by the state and national teaching organizations rather than actually help develop thinking skills and imparting actual knowledge and information to students!!)

As a result of this required test, high school teachers now EVEN LESS do actual teaching, imparting the real thinking skills, real information, and real education desperately needed by high school students -- instead, they have to try to "teach to the test" to get students to pass this basic skills state mandated test.

Guess what: Students continue to FAIL in huge numbers! Meaning they would not graduate and get a high school diploma.

Solution? Our state legislature just passed a "fudge factor" bill -- it's a "work around" to still allow high school students to graduate and receive a diploma. So now, if they only pass several PARTS of this test, but fail one part, they still can graduate and receive a diploma!

HUH? Please... tell me how valuable is that diploma? Just what does it stand for? Certainly not an authentication of having achieved a certain level of education! Okay, end of rant. (LOL) Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Warmly, Lori D.

Check you state laws and look at the admission criteria for colleges in the area or universities that you child could attend. Look at the graduation requirements for your local highschool - our district has theirs posted online with handy course descriptions.

Here is a helpful article I found when I was ordering my son's diploma - http://www.homeschooldiploma.com/planning/issuing_a_diploma.php

The diploma is a piece of paper saying a child has completed a set of requirements. The tough thing for me was setting the requirements and teaching to them. The tougher thing now that I have graduated one is letting him go.

Until he got his first letter of acceptance at a university, I didn't realize that I had been holding my breath for four years hoping that I hadn't ruined his life by keeping him home for high school.

I have only read a few of the posts, but wanted to tell you our story.

My ds graduated with a beautiful ceremony of family and friends. We gave him our diploma from homeschool diplomas. He had already recieved his scholarship from the college so we also presented hiim with that. He graduated the college Suma Cumlaude (sp). His degree is criminology. He wanted to get a job with the police department and discovered that unless he had an accredited high school diploma they would not accept his application! He said he had a college diploma with honors, but they would still not accept his application without an accredited high school diploma. He then, after receiving a college degree from a reputable college in which he received a full scholarship, had to take the GED. He passed it with honors:D.

I had already graduated my second ds before running into this situation. He currently is in college trying to decide if he should go ahead and take the GED. Is that not ridiculous? So I think I'm going to enroll my other dc in an accredited program for high school because we just don't know what kind of circumstances they may have to face.

End of story.