Menu

Looking for a good, indepedent, way to master math facts

chrissymama

My oldest is in 4th grade. We've used Singapore for a couple years, but thsi year we have switched to Teaching Textbooks. He loves it, and I am loving that he is able to do it independently. With 3 littler kids, it is really nice to not have to worry about planning and teaching him math.

He is very bright, but I am a little concerned that he doesn't know his math facts (particularly multiplication and division) as quickly as he should. We have flash cards, but, honestly, I would really prefer a computer game or program that he could use on his own. I know he would really enjoy it too. Besides TT, he doesn't get much computer time, and he does really like the computer. I think he''d love another math game.

But, if there's something you think really works that isn't on the computer, I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!

I'm not sure this works for all kids, but I cannot recommend Times Tales enough. It is a DVD that presents upper division and multiplication facts using stories - an old memory trick that works.

It is lame. It is campy. The illustrations are awful. The voiceover is a little condescending. But if you can get a child to stop rolling their eyes and pay attention to it and learn the lame-o stories, you can probably watch just a few times week and be done with those harder-to-remember multiplication/division facts.

There's also always copywork. And I keep a big chart of math facts on the wall opposite the toilet; hostage audience, and whatnot!

I found a CD at my library that borders on sleep-inducing hypnosis. It's by Hap Palmer and it's excellent background music that basically sings/chants the math facts. I play it at a low volume as white noise and it seems to help with recall. Even my preschooler picked up math facts just by listening in.

We use Math Rider – it is a one time fee (which makes if much more affordable than paying monthly or yearly) and it does practice of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division up to 12 in all the operations. We are very, very happy with it, and it is affordable. The thing I like best is the automatic tracking of which facts are mastered (it calculates a percentage for each operation), which ones need work, and how it automatically practices the facts that need the most practice until mastery is achieved.

There is a 7-day free trial if you want to give it a spin:

http://mathrider.com/partner/idevaffiliate.php?id=291_2

We had tried a LOT of different things for math facts, but this is the ONLY thing my daughter will do willingly :).

my daughter is in 4th grade. this year we added in times tales for multiplication and division. she has memorized all of her facts now through 12. it doesn't cover everything, but it covers the more difficult facts... the ones my daughter struggled with. my daughter really loves the program, as do i.

i found it used for $16 ppd on the forums here. hth. here's a link:

http://www.triggermemorysystem.com/TimesTalesEditions.html

(fwiw - they sell dvd's too, but i previewed them at youtube and they were rather long. i find the book a much better fit)

ETA - sorry. didn't see it was recommended already.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

http://donpotter.net/PDF/Multiplication%20Matrix.pdf

The math matrix is a an independent and easy, non computer way to help cement the facts. And it's free! I had dd fill one out every day we did math before her regular lesson. Once she had completed it, she could use it if she got stuck during her lesson and couldn't remember a fact, but it had to be from that day's matrix. At the end of the day the matrix gets thrown away so as not to be tempted into using yesterday's sheet today.

At first she was a little thrown off by the matrix only being half of the sqare so I printed a whole matrix and had her do that for a couple days to show her that the other half had the same answers. For some reason she wasn't able to visualize it at first, but quickly saw it was double the work and went back to the original one. She did this daily for several months before they were really cemented. I think I printed one from our Math Mammoth curriculum if I remember correctly, so I don't have link, but you could probably find one online somewhere.

In conjuction with this, we used Times Tales, but only have the book version, so no DVD's. They are cheesy, but they do help a lot.

My son is also in 4th grade, using Teaching Textbooks and didn't have the facts memorized. Times Tales was amazing, we have finished with the multiplication part, but are still working through getting the facts out FAST, but it's been only about 5 times sitting down and doing the lessons. I thought it cheesy and thought he would too, but he has even told me how much it helped him. So it isn't independent, but it isnt too time consuming either.