Menu

I need help with a "not your typical" chore list :)

My boys are in trouble. We have had about a week of really lackluster efforts in the "following directions" dept. :glare: (there has also been an attitude whenever I ask them to do something, eventually they say they are going to do it and go do something related...but not quite what I asked, so what I asked for does not get done and somehow I become the "bad guy" because I am upset they chose to clean something else!) Ugggghhhh....

Today they will be spending the day doing "special" chores. :tongue_smilie:So, I need ideas to keep them busy!!!

Yes, one is doing a deep cleaning of the grout involving a small toothbrush as we speak and the other has had to clean the inside and outside of the washer and dryer.

They will be making up their schoolwork on Sat.

Now, I am starting to run out of ideas. Suggestions welcome! :D

My least favorite chores include:

Removing hair from shower drains

Cleaning behind the toilet

Cleaning the gutters - eta: the downspouts and drainage channels on the ground, not the gutters on the roof. Sorry!

Washing trashcans

Weeding

Washing baseboards

Btw, I love this quote for situations like this:

"Don't expect what you aren't willing to inspect"

Hover over those boys. It sounds like they need it.

Edited by LibertyH

Deep cleaning your entire bathroom. Taking down curtains to wash and putting them back up. Cleaning the window sills--the part between the screen and the actual window. Wiping down the front of all cabinets and appliances, then cleaning the TOPS of the cabinets and refrigerator--the part that is usually all gooey and needs degreaser to clean it.

That's all I can think of for now!

Our go-to attitude adjusting chores are:

Scrubbing kitchen/dining room floors with a squirt bottle and cloth. Hands and knees work required. ;)

Cleaning baseboards

Vacuuming stairs

And the one that absolutely wears him out to no end so that when he is done he doesn't have energy for sass: running 20+ laps around the outside of the house.:lol: If he stops running he gets an extra lap each time I catch it.

How does the inside of your fridge look? Maybe the oven?

The fridge NEEEDS to be cleaned! but it is actually the issue the sorts broke the camels back. :glare: Their morning chore was to clean the kitchen, they have a "how to clean kitchen checklist." I was doing laundry and some other things when one twin brings me some jelly and tells me he is cleaning the fridge. Not a major deal because they have been working for 30min, there were only about 5 dishes in the sink, so plenty of time to clean the kitchen and start on the fridge, right? Well I went and checked. Nope!!! They had not done a single thing on the checklist, but had managed to pull EVERYTHING out of the fridge AND pantry! :tongue_smilie:We were supposed to start school in about 15 min. Yeah, this is just the final blow in series of these types of incidences.

Take a breath, let them finish the whole fridge and the kitchen.

I am calm, really calm.....now. :D They have done a similar thing to me probably 4 or 5 times in the last week. A few times it has come very close to causing problems with the care the horses receive.

They are good boys! In fact I am blown away by the quality of work they are now putting forth. :001_smile:

I think I will have them finish their chore day with the fridge and pantry. Right now, it is more about following instructions.

I had a friend who used to do deep cleaning on military bases after a family moved out. They actually took toilet seats off the toilet to be sure the whole toilet was spotless. There are so many nooks and crannies on those things - there's a lot of time that could be spent on a toilet.

All around the stove, including the drip pans and the grease screens? Weeding?