Menu

Dermatitis? Itchy, dry skin under the eyes ...

For the past two months I've had extreme dryness underneath my right eye, to varying degrees. It's almost like it'll be almost healed, then overnight it gets wicked bad again. It is itchy and scaly; not red, and not really puffy unless I've been scratching :blush:. The pain ranges from non-existant to painful to the touch and even the blast from the a/c. The left eye has had some dryness, but nowhere near the extent of the right eye. I've not changed my face-care routine in that time, nor my diet.

I both wash and moisturize with coconut oil and warm water - only, and for several years now. I don't use any other lotions or cleansers on my face. I wear Everyday Minerals brand makeup for everything except eyeliner and mascara (neither of which I wear every day, but both are brands I've used for years). There doesn't appear to be any correlation between wearing liner/mascara, and the eye dryness (or lack thereof).

I eat plenty of healthy fats and drink 4+ liters of water daily. My job can be dehydrating, but I over account for that by drinking a ridiculous amount of water and eating well (I'm a lifelong vegetarian and naturally consume copious amounts of fruits and veggies; I'm not a new veg*n who sustains on carbs and junk food).

I've never suffered from allergies, though they're extemely common where I live. I thought perhaps contact dermatitis, but wondered perhaps not given that I'm using the same products I have for years - none harsh.

I don't have bangs, so don't think it's any of my hair care products, but I do notice that when my hair touches my face it's started to really annoy me. Not super itchy, but it does feel like little pin pricks. I hate wearing my hair up, but the past few months have taken to doing so almost exclusively just to keep my random stray hairs off of my face. Hair landing anywhere else on my body (shoulders, arms) doesn't generate the same feeling; it's only my face.

What is this?

Is this just part of getting older, growing sensitive to products I've always used?

What can I use topically to alleviate the itch and dryness?

I've developed allergies to products I've used long term. I've also had situations when companies have altered formulas of products and the new old product didn't work for me.

Personally I'd quit everything topical on the face (including coconut oil in case you've developed an allergy to it) for a time and see if it improves.

Do you were eye makeup? My eyeliner caused my eyes to do that exact thing. I switched to Almay hypoallergenic eyeliner and haven't had a problem since.

I've also read that yeast (candida) can cause this.

Also, keep in mind that one can develop an allergy at any age.

I'm a wee bit too vain to go without makeup entirely, plus I'm required to wear it to work, but I'm going to skip the eyeliner and mascara and see if that helps. I'm also going to wash with water only, no coconut oil or anything else topically. I hope those suggestions will bring some improvement.

Per some PM'd advice, I'm also going to look into a B deficiency. I know it's common in vegetarians, and while I've never had a problem with it I hear it's often found alongside iron deficiencies (which I do have). I'll also check into the candida thing more deeply. That was my brother's original diagnosis, but I didn't think it applied to me because of my diet (and the fact that it's been six years since I've been on any antibiotic).

My doctor is out of the country for another few weeks, so I'll try the above suggestions until then and I'll have him check me out when he gets back. Even though he's the professional, it's still difficult for me to see him as anything but my misguided little brother :blush:.

Thanks all for chiming in. It sincerely helped!

I'd stop into a 'natural pharmacy' or find an alternative doctor who is qualified (I know a few here that started out as MD's and left that to enter into the world of alternative)

Also...there is a 'hair test' that might help out. I just asked my natural pharmist about it and he had a few kits left for $89. It can tell you more about yourself...you might have something in your system that is too high...

For instance, a dear friend who has even authored two books on health heard about this woman who used the 'hair test' and the results that came back astounded her. She was very high in copper among a few other things...she loved avocodoes and had them in her diet daily for years! Who knew that avocodoes are high in copper? BUT...for now....she has to forgo such great foods to get her body back into balance.

There is so much we don't know about our bodies, and like you I am on my own health journey that has led me to eating pretty much 80% green...the difference has been remarkable. Good luck to you!