Menu

GAPS diet - anyone tried it yet?

Hi,

My chiropractor suggested that I put my two daughters on the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome). He's had success with his children, who are allergic to wheat, using this diet. Here's a link: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/?gclid=CNfR2oLsmqsCFQLBKgodkQ0vhQ

Here's another link to Dr. Joseph Mercola's website where he discusses the book: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/25/dr-natasha-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps-nutritional-program.aspx

Anyone use it yet? Or heard of it? I ordered the book last night. It looks helpful and daunting at the same time.

Blessings,

Julie

One of the families in our Scout troop is one it, and has been for quite a while.

I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I got it when ir occurred to me that dh had sort of gone on it by default after he eliminated all the things that bothered him and started taking lots of probiotics.

And I'm sure there are others here with loads of experience -- just wanted to let you know that you're not alone until they get a chance to speak up.

I really believe that anything is an improvement to the conventional method and traditions of eating. We've strayed so very far and now have so many syndromes and diseases anymore THAT is daunting to me! :001_smile:

Anything that can improve one's health to keep us away from the meds that are scripted out to our families, I'm all for it. So much so that I've been on my own health food journey quest for several years now..making many mistakes, but always learning and have never felt better. Actually am now heathier in my mid 50's than I was in my 40's.

When DD10 was younger and battling digestive issues, we did a modified GAPS. Basically avoiding the foods on the "Bad" list and sticking mostly to the ones on the "Good" list and other foods not on either list.

1 - it worked wonders for her stomach and bowel issues. The "good" foods really are easier on the tummy.

2 - it was not difficult to follow. There are tons of food choices that are not on the "bad" list.

3 - It is affordable. Unlike some other eating plans, this one didn't send our grocery budget into a death spiral.

I really believe that anything is an improvement to the conventional method and traditions of eating. We've strayed so very far and now have so many syndromes and diseases anymore THAT is daunting to me! :001_smile:

Anything that can improve one's health to keep us away from the meds that are scripted out to our families, I'm all for it. So much so that I've been on my own health food journey quest for several years now..making many mistakes, but always learning and have never felt better. Actually am now heathier in my mid 50's than I was in my 40's.

:iagree:

Choose from any of the popular diets out there for behavior and ASD and you will likely see improvements.. We personally have not tried GAPS, but I've heard nothing but good about it. You can watch Dr. Campbell-McBride's YouTube videos to learn more.

We do GFCF (and soy free for one daughter) along with no processed crap, no preservatives, no dyes, etc. And we get almost everything organic. We've had BIG BIG BIG improvements across the board here in ALL FOUR of my children AND myself.

We failed spectacularly. Even my carnivore husband was miserable. I really wanted it to work. But the huge up front cost for organic free range meat and squash (out of season), etc. was ridiculously expensive. About twice as much as we usually spend. And other than my dh, we don't really like meat (and especially not squash) very much, so it was just miserable for us. Good luck if you can do it! We just didn't have the willpower past 2 days.

I have been on SCD (which is an awful lot like GAPS) myself for two years for health reasons. I don't eat any meat other than fish and I am not a big fan of squash either. I don't know if GAPS has stages like SCD but what I did was I just skipped ahead. It wasn't a big deal. Rather than eating meat and bananas or whatever for weeks on end I added other cooked veggies in on the second or third day and it didn't seem to bother me too much. I doubt I will ever go back to normal food since I feel so much better on this diet.

The big downsides are you have to cook ALL the time. And going out to eat is pretty much impossible (though I have done it a few times, you have to be careful).

My kids aren't autistic so I don't have any BTDT with this diet for kids. It was a miracle cure for me though.

What is SCD?

I just bought Nourishing Traditions and am interested in the GAPS diet. But I don't think I could do all of that cooking, and I live in a small town and it would be difficult to impossible to get everything. I am wondering if there can be a large amount of broth cooking in one day, though. That wouldn't be too bad. I do have trouble with leaving things out of refrigeration like NT says (to ferment)..... anyone else?

I am listening for variations that work. Also, dd is at minimum sensitive to dairy. And Nourishing Traditions has a lot of dairy recipes.... and I'm not sure about eating sweatbreads, raw meat, and the like.... I can't stand strong flavors, ugh!!

What is SCD?

I just bought Nourishing Traditions and am interested in the GAPS diet. But I don't think I could do all of that cooking, and I live in a small town and it would be difficult to impossible to get everything. I am wondering if there can be a large amount of broth cooking in one day, though. That wouldn't be too bad. I do have trouble with leaving things out of refrigeration like NT says (to ferment)..... anyone else?

I am listening for variations that work. Also, dd is at minimum sensitive to dairy. And Nourishing Traditions has a lot of dairy recipes.... and I'm not sure about eating sweatbreads, raw meat, and the like.... I can't stand strong flavors, ugh!!

SCD is Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which I think is the "original" diet from which GAPS was developed.

Yes, do a bunch of broth on one day. My Scout friends are highly sensitive to dairy, so they skip all of that -- the mom doesn't do lacto-fermentation because of the dairy involved, but has learned to ferment other ways. She gets a lot of ideas from http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/ as I recall.

Actually, I think fermenting food is fun. It's like a science experiment.

nourishing gourmet looks helpful! I also own the cookbook, Nourishing Traditions and am ready to start fermenting foods.

If anyone sees this follow-up question, I'd appreciate thoughts.... if you follow a rigorous diet like this, how do you get the cooking done with school and outside activities? Should we consider dropping all outside commitments and lowering school expectations during our transition/learning time on this new diet?

Thanks,

Julie

Should we consider dropping all outside commitments and lowering school expectations during our transition/learning time on this new diet?

I think that would be a good idea.. I remember we didn't go anywhere or do much school when we were transitioning. Do "cooking school" instead.:D

We did GAPS intro last October (6 weeks) and have been on full GAPS since. I have personally cheated a LOT and so am re-doing the intro (maybe by myself) starting Oct. 1. IT has worked miracles for my family, no exaggeration. Miracles!

I think I have written some posts about it; do a search and see. I am *supposed* to be doing math right now, ;), so have to run, but I'll check back in to answer any questions. If I lose this post, PM me!

Ta ta for now! :auto:

We do GFCF (and soy free for one daughter) along with no processed crap, no preservatives, no dyes, etc. And we get almost everything organic. We've had BIG BIG BIG improvements across the board here in ALL FOUR of my children AND myself.

This has been our experience as well. Huge improvements from diet changes and adding in specific supplements.

Haven't tried the GAPS diet, but we went GFCF (plus removed several other foods DS is reactive to based on an IgG blood test) and removed all artificial colors/flavors/preservatives, HFCS, and MSG from DS's diet a year ago. We saw improvements in mood, behavior, focus, stimming, plus elimination of his seasonal allergies and bed-wetting all within 1-4 weeks of going on the diet. The improvements have not only been maintained, but we continue to see progress in all areas.

Over the past year, we've also added in several specific supplements which have led to additional improvements across the board.

It can be daunting at first, but our experience was that it became "our new normal" very quickly. Once you figure out what foods your child can have and where to get them, it becomes routine.

Good luck!

I forgot to add:

We were really sick on about day 3, and then for a few days. Call it detox, call it coincidence, whatever; we were sick! There is no way we could have done a full school schedule. After day 7 we were up and at 'em again, but sometimes felt weak when doing strenuous things for a few more days. Then, suddenly, we were ravenous! My kids were eating things they would have never touched before; mounds of greens, asparagus, squash, etc. When doing outside-the-house activities I had to pack tons of snacks, just so we would not have a reason to break the diet due to our insatiable hunger! Fortunately that was only a phase as well. We sure did look crazy, though, eating constantly wherever we went!

All worth it in the end :)

You might want to check out THIS blog; she is doing an October GAPS challenge, and has a wonderful e-book that plans the first 30 days for you. If you sign up for her GAPS e-mail list you get a discount on the e-book. Even though I have done GAPS before, I bought the e-book to use for our next run-though. I really like it! it will make planning so much easier!

We went on full GAPS at the end of February and started GAPS Intro August 1st. Backwards I know but we needed the transition to step down to less choices.

First week was rough but so important. DS8 vomited the first two days, likely a hypoglycemic reaction since he was eating too much fruit and honey on Full GAPS. Dd10 also had too much, and she was fine the first two days, but then had 3 days of nausea. By day 6 everyone was back on track.

I actually spoon fed stock to ds8 and sometimes ds10 for the first 3 weeks just to get it in them. I explained that the good guys need reinforcements, but the bad gut guys hate stock, and my dc have to help the good guys win the battle! I noticed a turning point about then and told ds8 that he would have to eat the stock on his own if he wanted to continue to play games like the Wii, but if I spoon fed him like a baby then he could not play since he was acting like a 1 year old and 1 year olds can't play.

It was hard this summer to give up doing as much because we had to cook or take time to get everyone to eat stock and all their good foods, but it has been so worth it. The changes are amazing!

During GAPS Intro I required 4 cups of stock per day to count it as a day on Intro. We did about 4 days per stage, and followed both the GAPS book and the What Can I Eat Now, 30 days on GAPS Intro guidebook that I purchased. I made a spreadsheet chart for each child to check off to make sure they were having each food at each meal - stock, meat, veggie, fat, then later ferment, egg yolk, etc. They only charted for about 10 days and I didn't start it until Stage 3.

We are now on a Stage 5/Full GAPS type of diet, meaning we will still avoid fruit and honey, and have 2-3 cups of stock per day, but have otherwise finished GAPS Intro. We will be starting a Candida protocol with S. Boulardii this week in combination with Custom Probiotics. I am avoiding Biokult for now due to a dairy allergic child.

The diet is wonderful and challenging at the same time. My previous picky eater is SO MUCH BETTER. He is eating about 4 meals a day and we finally figured out that if we feed him enough stock and fat he doesn't get cranky! Same with our other 2 children and me too. Meat stock and bone broth are amazing foods.

Ds8 still has many food allergies, but got back eggs on August 8th. We did do an NAET treatment series for egg last summer and fall, but I waited until GAPS Intro when you are supposed to try egg yolks to give him one. I did the sensitivity test the night before. He is eating so much more than before. He used to fight us and only want sweets and carby foods like grains, and now he drinks stock with a straw and requests it, not because he likes it since he holds his nose, but because he knows it is nonnegotiable.

My dd10 got back cauliflower and is less picky as well. My ds12 got rid of his ADD, but it came back on GAPS Intro Stage 1. It is mainly gone again but he had to go through the trial and error with organic peanut butter pancakes to find out that he is reacting to it. Same with Sunbutter pancakes we think. My IBS is nearly gone, and it was debilitating before. It was a bit rough during detoxing on GAPS Intro, and I still am avoiding raw veggies, but I was having trouble with cooked veggies before and am not anymore!

We actually just arrived home from a week in Virginia - Homeschool week at Colonial Williamsburg for 3 days, Virginia Beach for 1 day, then a day at Yorktown and a day at Jamestown also for homeschool weeks. We left our thermos' in our van and went back there to eat each day. It worked out well.

We stayed in a Staybridge Suites with a kitchen and full refrigerator and brought our own food. We cooked everyday but did find out that the scrambled eggs are plain with no butter, milk or additives and they also have boiled eggs. Of course they are not pastured so we mainly ate our own eggs that we brought. We brought all of our other food, but found out that Kroger has an organic section & Fresh Market has some organic food too. We never made it to Trader Joe's. We also brought a Big Berkey water filter which was nice to have.

We ate out once on ds8's 8th birthday, we went to Outback Steakhouse in Virginia Beach and explained we have food allergies and a special diet and just needed plain steaks (ds8 got lamb) and steamed veggies without seasonings. They were very accommodating but it was expensive! I brought my own small jar of ghee, sauerkraut in a baggie and plain beef stock in my big purse and just asked for an empty coffee cup.

We brought 2 crockpots (my ds8 is allergic to beef) so we could have ready to go food for the day. We now own 12 wide and short Thermos' so we can bring at least 2 per person each day. We also own Kleen Kanteens so we can have good tasting filtered water with us at all times.

So I wouldn't suggest traveling during the first few weeks of GAPS Intro mainly because of the detox reactions, but once you get past Intro traveling on Full GAPS is easy of you can drive and cook at your destination.

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe I am reading this! And when I read the Dr. Natasha Campbell blurb on Dr. Mercola's site, I had to write.

Our dd, 18, has had multiple problems in her lifetime: medical AND emotional/intellectual. Since 2 months of age (ear infection) she has been on antibitotics at least 3x a year, sometimes more, even as a teen, for such things as UTIs, salmonella poisoning, infected follicles, etc. Although she is highly gifted, she also has mild Aspergers and other LDs, as well as ADD, which baffled us. We always knew something was wrong, but could never figure out exactly what, despite visits to therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists...you all know what I'm talking about.

Simultaneously, dd has had acne, starting at age 11 up through this past year. Sometimes the acne would disappear for a short time, only to flare up again for seemingly no reason. Dd saw many dermatologists who prescribed scores of different meds and treatments, to no avail. She has also been on birth control pills for acne, but nothing helped, and the bcp made it worse.

This summer we were overseas and dd had to start a course of antibiotics for a staph infection on her eye. The eye infection went away in 48 hours, but we noticed dd's bad acne became terrible--she looked as if she had smallpox!

Something--divine intervention? a mom's instinct? told me that this was a result of the antibiotic, and dd had a yeast infection on her face! In desperation I gave dd a tube of antifungal cream (I never travel without it; she needs it for her ears) and she applied it to her face. The next morning we thought her face looked a bit better, but we weren't sure. So dd continued with the antifungal. After 3 days of this we noticed a definite improvement. The acne wasn't gone, but the tone of her complexion had changed: it looked like the matte finish to her skin had been rubbed off. She never, ever, has had one of those glowing, dewey complexions; her face has always had this powdery, elderly, ashen texture to it.

Once back in the US we went to another dermatologist and told her what had happened. She said that there is new research into acne being caused by bacteria in the skin (obviously) being trapped under a layer of candida on the outer layers of the skin. She gave dd a 1-month supply--28 pills--of Diflucan to kill the candida, as well as oral antibiotics to clear up the bacteria.

After 3 weeks of this treatment dd's skin was improved by about 25%. We knew we were heading in the right direction. However, the Diflucan was becoming too hard on dd's system, so she stopped taking it. Something had to fill the void, and quickly, or the candida would come back full force.

I immediately began an intense ANTI-CANDIDA course of action, and took a more holistic approach.

1) First, I stopped the oral antibiotics.

2) Bought the best anti-candida treatment I could find: Candizyme and Candex. Began immediately. dd did have abdominal pain and the die-off reaction (like a flu), but she did it over Labor Day weekend (plus 2 extra days off), so it was not too bad. Though she was ticked about lying around during the holiday and feeling crummy.

3) Began a round of super-high potency probiotics, utilizing different manufacturers' products for different strains [Primal defense RAW for variety/fermented foods strains; Jarrow Femdophilus for the 2 strains that are in the vaginal area; UAS for the Lac. Acidop. DDS-1 strain that has an anti-connection; TheraLac for the Lac. Acidop LA-1 strain, etc]

4) Switched over my kefir culture from cow milk to goat milk, and insisted dd drink it (she pooh-poohed it before, but now she was amenable to anything) and she also began applying it to her face.

5) Cut as much wheat and gluten from dd's diet as possible; cut down on high-glycemic foods, upped the fatty foods and supplements (virgin coconut), animals proteins, and vegetables. Although not a GAPS diet, it is a anti-candida diet.

Now, it has been 2+ weeks since Labor Day weekend, and I can report that dd's face is totally cleared except for one pimple, near her eyebrow. Not only that, the powdery cast to her skin has not returned. She is no longer suffering from cracked and leaking ears (since a child she has had athlete's foot in her ear) and she is sleeping better. Also, dd says she's not hearing the "fuzzy voices" which she has complained since a child, jumbled noises inside her head that made it hard for her to focus and concentrate on external stimuli.

Since I don't see dd every day, as she is in college and a 45-minute drive from home, I don't have as much input as I would like. I do text her several times a day to remind her to take her probiotics and at night to take her anti-candida pills. I have to take this first-things-first: as a young woman, dd's complexion was her #1 concern. Now that seems to be healing, we have to move on to other concerns, which is why I came to this particular forum today (another post).

Wishing you all the best; I think we are "on to" something here!

Edited by distancia

Now, it has been 2+ weeks since Labor Day weekend, and I can report that dd's face is totally cleared except for one pimple, near her eyebrow. Not only that, the powdery cast to her skin has not returned. She is no longer suffering from cracked and leaking ears (since a child she has had athlete's foot in her ear) and she is sleeping better.

Wishing you all the best; I think we are "on to" something here!

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Bravo to you, Mama, for taking your dd's health into your own hands and not "following the herd". Doctors love to prescribe those antibiotics, don't they? :glare:

My dd's cystic acne cleared up when we removed gluten, dairy, and treated for yeast. She had cystic acne BAD.. Today, at age 14.. NONE. I tried to tell people this on the general board, but most people have that "herd" mindset and only want to do what mainstream insists upon.. antibiotics, etc. This only makes the problem worse. Sad.