Menu

Kindy Thread?

poetic license

That makes total sense! I think that's where the disconnect is. He's great at word problems, but the number bonds just annoy him. For example, he did this with all of them. :lol::lol::lol:

6151088344_568f176439.jpg

He doesn't want to do bonds, he wants the sentences. So will I totally mess it up for him if I don't harp on the bonds? He's the kind of kids that likes drilling the facts, so I think I can help him learn with flash cards. I also know that the number bond is a big part of the primary singapore. (at least that's what the HIG says.) I'm almost wondering if we need to switch curricula? Are all maths like this?

Mine is much better at math without the number bonds, too. Hrm. I am thinking of switching to Beast Academy when it comes out, but until then... my only other idea is MEP. Right now we're continuing with Singapore but mostly we use the IPs.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes total sense! I think that's where the disconnect is. He's great at word problems, but the number bonds just annoy him. For example, he did this with all of them. :lol::lol::lol:

(IMG)

That's adorable.

He doesn't want to do bonds, he wants the sentences. So will I totally mess it up for him if I don't harp on the bonds? He's the kind of kids that likes drilling the facts, so I think I can help him learn with flash cards. I also know that the number bond is a big part of the primary singapore. (at least that's what the HIG says.) I'm almost wondering if we need to switch curricula? Are all maths like this?

I think number bonds are only important to make sure kids know that 5-3=2 BECAUSE 2+3=5 and if they learn that in another way, that's fine too.

I think number bonds are only important to make sure kids know that 5-3=2 BECAUSE 2+3=5 and if they learn that in another way, that's fine too.

This is what I mean when I say my DD uses Miquon for fact practice. She prefers equations to number bonds too and she uses Miquon FAR behind where she is in SM. Rather than being the "discovery" program it's supposed to be, she "discovers" facts through more abstract maths and then months later goes back to Miquon and demonstrates those facts. Instead of "wow, that is the same as this" she is more "hey, I knew that but it's pretty cool huh?"

And an update from us since we're all excited. Today Young Starwatchers, DD's university based science club. They cover all kinds of science from an astronomy perspective with LOTS of hands on activities. The last part is my favorite since it really takes the pressure off me :) Last month both littles made comets, layers of the moon with modeling clay, painted moon rocks, demonstrated how craters are formed, made constellations and named them, the list goes on and on.

Gotta go, DD is calling "Mama, guess what - there was an ice age!"

I'm catching up here...thanks for the advice and support about the OEs... I realized that it's not a schoolwork thing...today the same thing happened, but it was over not wanting to change out of the school uniform before playing in the dirt. :glare:

Also, when I think back in the past few years, I think DS really started calming down once I started teaching him here and there. Maybe he had this pent up mental energy or something? I don't know... Like Carpe said--

Count us into the years-to-kindergarten group. But that doesn't stop us. Actually I started formal lessons as a measure of self defense because my kid destroys things when he's bored.

:grouphug: It's nice to find others isn't it. Sometimes I feel very alone. It's ok to celebrate that your child has TT'd (so long as it's not too early:lol:) but it's just not safe to celebrate our wee monkeys many places. Nor even to mention them.

Yeah, I think when I get asked again for the nth time why I pull out DS early, I'll just reply, "it's complicated..."

:iagree: The number bonds help the child see the relationship between the numbers. Sometimes when they do addition, they get locked into this mentality of 5+2=7 and that's it, forgetting that 7-5=2 involves the same part/whole relationship.

And SM does go through them in few lessons, but it takes some time for them to "gel." Play games with cards, counters, abacus, rods, etc.

Book 2 in this series has great ideas for creatively learning number bonds without counting:

http://www.mathperspectives.com/pub_dnc.html

She has the kids make patterns and practice identifying the number bonds by sight. So the teacher will show a unique arrangement of five toothpicks, and the kid will see that it's comprised of two at the bottom and three at the top, and will say that it's five. Then the kids do the same activity. There are other ideas for working with the basic number bonds to ten.

I think it's an ability to understand how to apply a concept. For example, he can easily add 6 and a 3, or subtract 3 from a 9 (he can also add and subtract up to 20). However, when SM asks him to look at the picture and write 2 addition and 2 subtraction equations, he isn't sure what is being asked of him. That's in my mind a maturity issue. I think the marvel of SM program is IP and CWP books, and both of those books ask kids to think. I like to assign a workbook chapter followed by the same chapter in IP. My older son is doing SM this way and gaining a marvelous understanding of math. CWP we run during the summer. I want to delay going further in SM with my soon to be 5 year old until is he mature enough to think about the problem and tackle IP books, not just give me an answer when I say 9 + 6. I hope this makes sense. Try assigning word problems where it isn't clear if you need to add or subtract and see if he clearly grasps how to use the mechanics he learned. I think that's a good indication of understanding the concepts.

That makes sense. I was trying to figure out a polite way of asking, "How do you know?" :tongue_smilie: Some people seem to get all worked up about children being advanced because they are really ready for that level of work, and hold them back because it makes them uncomfortable. I think what you are doing is very wise. It is something that I am slowly learning to do, as I see how much greater the understanding is as dd ages, even though I could technically "get her to do it" at a younger age.

• 3 weeks later...

How's it going for everyone? We hit a lack-of-math-facts wall in Singapore towards the end of 1B that made it impossible for her to do the multi-step addition/subtraction with regrouping independently, so we're backing off a bit. I'm having her burn through 1A and the 1A IP independently to solidify her facts and her confidence quickly. Everything else is working brilliantly, and I'm adding grammar twice a week.

We're jogging along quietly. I've finally convinced him that it's not entirely unreasonable for me to ask him to write and he's been coming up with some cute little stories. I'll share some if I ever figure out how to put pictures on here. Maths is moving along - he's just about done with Miquon yellow and has started doing a little in the purple book (he found my hiding place). I'm still not sure what I should do after Miquon, and looking at some problem solving 'sideways' extension stuff rather than pushing on upwards. He's getting Life of Fred A - D for his birthday in November and I have Fractions and Decimals on the shelf so I think we can keep busy there for a while. He's over the moon to have reached the cursive section of his G-D book © and is doing a pretty good job I think.

I'm still researching science and history - I think I'm approaching a decision, and I need to get myself organised on some art.

I finally joined the local homeschoolers group so I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of them, and starting "properly" into this once he turns 5 and finishes his (two mornings a week) preschool.

We're jogging along quietly. I've finally convinced him that it's not entirely unreasonable for me to ask him to write and he's been coming up with some cute little stories. I'll share some if I ever figure out how to put pictures on here. Maths is moving along - he's just about done with Miquon yellow and has started doing a little in the purple book (he found my hiding place). I'm still not sure what I should do after Miquon, and looking at some problem solving 'sideways' extension stuff rather than pushing on upwards. He's getting Life of Fred A - D for his birthday in November and I have Fractions and Decimals on the shelf so I think we can keep busy there for a while. He's over the moon to have reached the cursive section of his G-D book © and is doing a pretty good job I think.

I'm still researching science and history - I think I'm approaching a decision, and I need to get myself organised on some art.

I finally joined the local homeschoolers group so I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of them, and starting "properly" into this once he turns 5 and finishes his (two mornings a week) preschool.

Oh yeah, I bought B & C of the LoF books, too, as part of the backing off on math. They aren't here yet though. Good luck on figuring out art!! I outsource mine :lol:. I get overwhelmed very easily with art/craft stuff. Yay for writing and coming up with cute stories! I love those. The Sponge is writing a lot more on her own now--she made me a little book today with a mix of cursive, print, and unique drawings. (A fairy with an internal parachute that deploys through a hole in her back in case her wings break, for instance. :lol:) We also started audiobooks in the car, I forgot to mention that.

The Sponge is writing a lot more on her own now--she made me a little book today with a mix of cursive, print, and unique drawings. (A fairy with an internal parachute that deploys through a hole in her back in case her wings break, for instance. :lol:

that's awesome!

DS2 is really excited that he starts "K" today. :D We're using MFW K, which starts out with a 10 day creation unit. He has recently done creation in Bible class at church and still remembers what day everything was (I randomly quizzed him last week). I was actually surprised he remembered. I really, really, really don't know how this child's brain works yet. :confused: I suspect he knows more than he lets on. :glare: Anyway, we're going to do the creation unit in 5 days instead of 10, and then we can start the letter theme lessons next week. I've reserved books from the library, so we're all set!

We started a more regular schedule--for now the only formal stuff is math and religious education/Arabic language. However, the latter does incorporate daily narrations, so that's LA for you.

It's funny to see the spurts of development. Lately my son has an interest in spelling, and a lot more interest in self-initiated writing.

I haven't started any formal science, but after reading a few lessons in BFSU I did the first one (on organization and categories) on the fly as we were playing outside... I think I should just read his lessons in advance, then be mentally prepared to seize on these "unschooling" moments. DS loves Sid the Science Kid so perhaps we could incorporate a science notebook. Any ideas/thoughts would be welcome :)

I think I have a "curious" 2nd one like you, Boscopup... she's almost 3 and has a much shorter attention span than her brother did at the same age. With him, I could just talk about things with him and he'd learn so much. With DD, she relates more strongly to visuals. But she remembers the craziest things!

Oh and can I add a "mommy brag" moment that I can't really share IRL? I love it when kids drop literary references-- the other day, DD lost an earring down the drain, and DS said, "Guess we need a mouse for this job!" (in reference to Stuart Little). Love it.

I'm also ecstatic because it seems like my son shares his mama's love of art. We went to a museum which was a mix of all different disciplines, and when asked what his favorite bit was, he said "the sculptures." :hurray:

Oh and can I add a "mommy brag" moment that I can't really share IRL? I love it when kids drop literary references-- the other day, DD lost an earring down the drain, and DS said, "Guess we need a mouse for this job!" (in reference to Stuart Little). Love it.

I'm also ecstatic because it seems like my son shares his mama's love of art. We went to a museum which was a mix of all different disciplines, and when asked what his favorite bit was, he said "the sculptures." :hurray:

:thumbup:

I think I have a "curious" 2nd one like you, Boscopup... she's almost 3 and has a much shorter attention span than her brother did at the same age. With him, I could just talk about things with him and he'd learn so much. With DD, she relates more strongly to visuals. But she remembers the craziest things!

Exactly! It's funny. I would go over colors and shapes at age 3, and he just wasn't picking it up by talking about things in real life. Then I pulled out the Rod & Staff ABC series workbook "Adventures With Books", which taught colors. He picked them up right away! He needed direct instruction at that point, though now he's starting to pick up some things on his own. He's just very, very different.

The funniest thing was when we watched The Sound of Music one day. A few days later, DS2 said in the van, "The yens are far away? They live in a building?" I had no clue what a yen was. :001_huh: We talked about the yens often over the next week, trying to figure out what one was. I asked him what color they were, and he stood there and pointed out that they were black with white at the front of the neck, down the sides of the head, down the sides of the body, and a little bit at the ankles. He pointed out all these spots of white. So DH and I are now thinking penguin, but we asked if it was a penguin, and he said it wasn't a penguin, plus he said the word "penguin" just fine. At the dinner table, DH was still thinking it was a penguin, so he asked if the yens swim. He said, "No, they sink."

Finally, one day it dawned on me... NUNS! He was fixated on the nuns from the movie. They live far away (Austria) in a building (the Abbey). He had described their clothing just perfectly - all the places where they had white on them! Not sure why he thought nuns would sink in water though. :lol:

This child always notices the little things that no one else does!

And I have to say, his "why" stage is KILLING ME. :lol: "Why are we real?" "What happens if a bear eats you?"

Anyway, we've started our K day. It's going well! We read the Bible passages for days 1 and 2 and discussed them. He played with the lower case Lauri textured letters. We started an All About Me booklet. He wrote his 'nickname' that he made up (that's not a word :tongue_smilie:), and then I had him write his real name underneath that. :) He drew a self portrait, giving himself a mustache. :D We weighed him and measured his height. He's grown in the last month or two since I last measured him! Later during nap time, I'll let him do a hand print and paint a picture (he really wanted to paint). We'll also do a couple crafts for days 1 and 2 of creation. :)

So DH and I are now thinking penguin, but we asked if it was a penguin, and he said it wasn't a penguin, plus he said the word "penguin" just fine. At the dinner table, DH was still thinking it was a penguin, so he asked if the yens swim. He said, "No, they sink."

Finally, one day it dawned on me... NUNS! He was fixated on the nuns from the movie. They live far away (Austria) in a building (the Abbey). He had described their clothing just perfectly - all the places where they had white on them! Not sure why he thought nuns would sink in water though. :lol:

This child always notices the little things that no one else does!

He said sink because in the movie Julie Andrews is in a canoe with the children and the canoe tips over. She didn't swim, she "sank", so he was right! How observant of him.

He said sink because in the movie Julie Andrews is in a canoe with the children and the canoe tips over. She didn't swim, she "sank", so he was right! How observant of him.

You're right! See, I had completely forgotten about that! It's not something I picked up on. He is crazy observant.

Our K is going wonderfully! We are on holidays in a mire tropical part of the country and enjoying the sunshine and currently a tourist park with hedge mazes.

I had to respond to the hilarious yens story with our own version. When DD was three a side year old friend had an Egyptian themed birthday party. Not long afterwards she asked "what is a nobis?". Of course, no one knew and describing it for us didn't help. She tried to draw it for us and DH tried to draw it following her instructions. This didn't help either but it turned into a knd of cartoon monster called the scraggy nobis which had all kinds of strange powers and became a kind of in joke.

Nearly a year later I was decluttering and found the little Anubis amulet DD had won in the treasure hunt at her friend's party. Of course when I showed it to her and asked if it was a nobis she nodded solemnly as if we should have known all along!

We've stalled. DS has decided that he only wants to play with c-rods and write single letters. He is definitely reading, so I'm sneaking in phonics to catch any bad habits. Otherwise I'm letting him decide what he wants to do. I'm thinking kindergarten is going to end up being a two year endeavor.

Today in 'math class' he built c-rod trains all one colour as close to 40 as possible without going over (his own random idea). Then he used them to build things: the orange, blue, brown and black rods became teepees; the greens were trees (he stood them on their ends); the yellows were a fence; the light green were 'troughs' for the red 'pigs' and white 'sheep.' He angled the animal rods so they were leaning on the green troughs, so we knew they were eating.

Then he wrote the letter b. Once.

All in all a very productive day :lol:

:lol: Love it! Hey, he did a lot of math though!

I'm really liking the C-rods. I'm using them with Essential Math, and today we're doing things like "6 is ____ more than 4". With the C-rods, it's so easy for him! I still can't believe how he just knows what rod fits in a space, despite not having used them that much. My friend's 4 year old has experienced the same thing. Very cool.

DS2 is really excited that he starts "K" today. :D We're using MFW K, which starts out with a 10 day creation unit. He has recently done creation in Bible class at church and still remembers what day everything was (I randomly quizzed him last week). I was actually surprised he remembered. I really, really, really don't know how this child's brain works yet. :confused: I suspect he knows more than he lets on. :glare: Anyway, we're going to do the creation unit in 5 days instead of 10, and then we can start the letter theme lessons next week. I've reserved books from the library, so we're all set!

I'm wondering if my second-born is more like this as well! He's still only 2 1/2, but he is so different from my first one. He talked later and still doesn't seem to "get" some basic things...but then out of the blue he'll do something that shocks me and makes me think there may be a bit more going on in that little noggin than he lets on. :D

And I love your yens story! Hilarious! That poor child probably wondered why you guys couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

Today in 'math class' he built c-rod trains all one colour as close to 40 as possible without going over (his own random idea). Then he used them to build things: the orange, blue, brown and black rods became teepees; the greens were trees (he stood them on their ends); the yellows were a fence; the light green were 'troughs' for the red 'pigs' and white 'sheep.' He angled the animal rods so they were leaning on the green troughs, so we knew they were eating.

I love this! So creative! My oldest is so literal he might not ever think to do this. He's the one who would give me a slightly confused condescending look and tell me, "Mommy, that isn't a tree...it's just a brown rod" (like I don't know that already?). And in my mind I'm saying, "Duuude, you're FOUR and it's called PRETEND! You should try it sometime!" (I had a huge imagination as a child).

It has been so interesting to observe my two sons as they free play/explore the c-rods--they are so different in what they build and how they manipulate them. My oldest wouldn't play with them for long when he was younger; he would just sort of stare at them like he didn't know what to do with them. Now that he understands some math he is enjoying them more (trying to make his own fractions and such). My two-year old is loving them and he does some interesting things with them! I just sit back and watch.

Edited by Amie

I'm wondering if my second-born is more like this as well! He's still only 2 1/2, but he is so different from my first one. He talked later and still doesn't seem to "get" some basic things...but then out of the blue he'll do something that shocks me and makes me think there may be a bit more going on in that little noggin than he lets on. :D

And I love your yens story! Hilarious! That poor child probably wondered why you guys couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

Yeah, he didn't talk until age 3 because he'd had ear infections up to about 18 months. He got tubes at 2 years, then finally was hearing well enough that year to start talking at 3. He's in speech therapy now, mostly for little articulation issues. Everything seems to suddenly "turn on" for him though. Last year, I was doing ES Intro to Science with both DS1 and DS2. It was way too easy for DS1 (age 6 at the time). He had understood those concepts since he was 3 or 4. DS2, OTOH, had no clue what we were doing, couldn't understand the explanation at all. He was newly 4 at the time. It was like scientific understanding hadn't turned on in his brain at all. :confused: Then a few months later, we watched one of those Aurora Lipper classes (the free one), and the kids seemed bored by it for the most part, but a few weeks later, DS1 mentioned that the 4th state of matter was plasma, and DS2 says "Fire is a plasma!" I was like this --> :001_huh: From then on, he was starting to understand scientific things. Something had turned on in his brain. It's so weird. Math turned on shortly after that, and he went from barely being able to count to 10 (learned that at newly 4 finally) to having some of his lower addition facts memorized (eg, 2+3=5). And now with the C-rods, he's easily able to pick out the missing rod if you stick two different size rods next to each other, and he's doing swimmingly with EM book B. A year ago, I wouldn't have been so sure we could do K math when he's in K. :tongue_smilie:

And the "why" or "what happens if" questions are KILLING ME because they're so good! I often ask him what he thinks, and he is coming up with good answers. He really thinks about things. I think he'll probably be more of a problem solver than DS1.

It's so fun to watch the differences in siblings! Certainly keeps me on my toes. :D

Boscopup, it will be fun to hear how your second-born ds progresses!

Well we just started MEP and I think I am falling in love! I've known about MEP for a few years now, but only browsed it a little quite some time ago (I think I mainly looked at Reception). My budget is probably the main thing that has forced me to take a closer look at it and I am so glad I did! I had pretty much decided to go with Math Mammoth, but was really hoping to wait until another sale. However, March was feeling too far away. When I took a look at bits of MEP Y1 and Y2 I realized that, not only is this free, but it actually looks like it could be the perfect fit for ds--score! He has been making up his own word problems and equations like, "29 plus what equals 94?", then he finds the answer mentally. When I saw some of the problems in MEP that look just like the kind of stuff he is already making up on his own I got excited. Maybe the honeymoon will wear off, or maybe we will need to add in (switch?) MM eventually, but for right now...:001_wub:.

Disclaimer: I still feel a bit strange writing posts like this because I'm afraid they sound...braggy? I don't talk like this in real life and my parents are about the only ones I talk about ds with (if anything I think I've tried to hide what ds does to other people because it can get awkward when they catch on). Anyway, I hope this is an OK place to talk about this stuff and give you all stories or background info, because it is really nice to be able to chat about it (and with people who actually know what MEP is!) and I know I'll be needing some feedback and advice.

While I work hard to try to do the best I can with the children I've been given, I also know that much of this is NOT because of anything I've done--no teacher or curriculum in the world can force a child to read at 3 IF THEY AREN'T READY/ABLE and likewise with every other subject. That is another reason I avoid my mommy friends finding this stuff out because they don't seem to understand that and they either think I am so amazing (:lol:) or they want to know what magic tricks I am performing over here so they can do the same--it doesn't work that way. OK, I got that off my chest; now I can move on. Sorry this got so long. I hope you don't mind me using this thread to continue my chit-chat. (Yeah, I'm kind of insecure.)

And PS if my "braggy" stories ever cross over into "poor taste", then somebody please let me know (nicely, of course ;)).

Edited by Amie

Disclaimer: I still feel a bit strange writing posts like this because I'm afraid they sound...braggy? I don't talk like this in real life and my parents are about the only ones I talk about ds with (if anything I think I've tried to hide what ds does to other people because it can get awkward when they catch on). Anyway, I hope this is an OK place to talk about this stuff and give you all stories or background info, because it is really nice to be able to chat about it (and with people who actually know what MEP is!) and I know I'll be needing some feedback and advice.

While I work hard to try to do the best I can with the children I've been given, I also know that much of this is NOT because of anything I've done--no teacher or curriculum in the world can force a child to read at 3 IF THEY AREN'T READY/ABLE and likewise with every other subject. That is another reason I avoid my mommy friends finding this stuff out because they don't seem to understand that and they either think I am so amazing (:lol:) or they want to know what magic tricks I am performing over here so they can do the same--it doesn't work that way. OK, I got that off my chest; now I can move on. Sorry this got so long. I hope you don't mind me using this thread to continue my chit-chat. (Yeah, I'm kind of insecure.)

And PS if my "braggy" stories ever cross over into "poor taste", then somebody please let me know (nicely, of course ;)).

Brag away, this is a safe space. :grouphug:

I think we all realize what it's like having to hide these things from others. I get the same response, people want to know what magic I do when really, like you said, it's a matter of the child being ready and able. And of course, they'll be ready at different ages. Just as it's okay for some kids to be ready at a later date, it's okay if some kids are ready at an early date (relative to what most deem "normal".)

I love MEP too... so far we only use the puzzles and critical thinking type problems, and it is great for that.

Here's something. Does anyone else get uncomfortable when someone comments on how smart your child is, or how impressed that they know something? I know I should just say thank you or something, but I just find it a little frustrating that so many people have such low standards for children. I don't want to assume dd is smart just because she has a mom who teaches her stuff! And I guess I just enjoy flying under the radar too much. If I'm good at something but don't want attention over it, I can choose not to do it in front of others. I can't really tell dd not to answer someone we know well when we are at their house and they ask her to count or read in an engaging way. I don't know, does anyone one else know what I mean? LOL

Here's something. Does anyone else get uncomfortable when someone comments on how smart your child is, or how impressed that they know something? I know I should just say thank you or something, but I just find it a little frustrating that so many people have such low standards for children. I don't want to assume dd is smart just because she has a mom who teaches her stuff! And I guess I just enjoy flying under the radar too much. If I'm good at something but don't want attention over it, I can choose not to do it in front of others. I can't really tell dd not to answer someone we know well when we are at their house and they ask her to count or read in an engaging way. I don't know, does anyone one else know what I mean? LOL

I've had people tell me how smart my oldest is. His first grade teacher used the term "brilliant" (he's not PG, and I wouldn't have used that term, but oh well). I've also had people assume he'd know everything about a topic just because he was "so smart", saying so in front of him. I really don't like it when people do that. First of all, I try NOT to tell him he's smart. I praise hard work, not intelligence. He already knows he's smart. He knows he's doing higher grade level work. He knows he's doing things other kids aren't doing. He doesn't need to be told those things. He's smart enough to figure it out. ;) I prefer to praise him for doing really well on his work and putting so much effort into it. Doing a few pages of PCM the other day without help was really cool, and I praised him for that. He normally needs me sitting right there, but it was fractions using recipes, and he was very comfortable with that topic, so he thought about them on his own. Yipee!

Now as to your comment that people have low standards for children... No, that's not what I think. Usually when people comment on what my oldest is doing, it's because most kids aren't doing that. And being gifted, it's not that I just taught him early. Trust me, I tried to teach him to read when he was stuck in not-blending land. He was in that spot for a good year. Teaching him didn't work. I soon stopped trying, and he picked it up on his own, but he moved ahead very fast, and it wasn't normal for a kid his age. So yes, people noticed when he was reading WELL before he turned 5. They didn't have low standards. These were people who knew how kids normally progress in reading.

What do the rest of you do about people quizzing your kids? We went through a period where it seemed like every time we walked out of a room or turned our backs, someone was quizzing our first son. Some of them would be surprisingly harsh about it too. (Asking him, for example, math questions at two, and then sternly saying, "No, that's not right," when he didn't answer correctly. Or asking him to spell something, and then correcting him harshly if he left out a letter. Or asking him ridiculous things like high school level math.)

It was truly bizarre. We got the impression that people assumed that because he knew so much, they thought he should know everything.

Have you all experienced this? What did you do to curtail it?

What do the rest of you do about people quizzing your kids? We went through a period where it seemed like every time we walked out of a room or turned our backs, someone was quizzing our first son. Some of them would be surprisingly harsh about it too. (Asking him, for example, math questions at two, and then sternly saying, "No, that's not right," when he didn't answer correctly. Or asking him to spell something, and then correcting him harshly if he left out a letter. Or asking him ridiculous things like high school level math.)

It was truly bizarre. We got the impression that people assumed that because he knew so much, they thought he should know everything.

Have you all experienced this? What did you do to curtail it?

Generally I have the opposite problem - my kids act silly or dumb when they are interacting with someone they don't know well, and since I don't normally say anything about their abilities, they actually pass off as average if not slow.

Though the other day outside the natural history museum, my 4yo hollered, "Mommy, trilobites! [pointing to a sculpture] I love trilobites!" A passerby looked at me kinda funny. I think the assumption is that I pack her brain full of this stuff all day, rather than that she must be brilliant. I mean really, trilobites?

I usually say something about how all kids have gifts, and then acknowledge that yes, hers happen to include whatever it is they are pointing out.

I think a lot of times, if it's a parent who still has young kids, they may become a bit defensive upon seeing some of the stuff my kids can do. They ask themselves, "should I have been pushing my kid to do this? Is my kid slow?" I've felt this way myself about stuff like interating well with people they meet in passing (a "hello" would be nice, or how about some eye contact?). We all have room for improvement. So my answer will tend to reflect that.

I've had people tell me how smart my oldest is. His first grade teacher used the term "brilliant" (he's not PG, and I wouldn't have used that term, but oh well). I've also had people assume he'd know everything about a topic just because he was "so smart", saying so in front of him. I really don't like it when people do that. First of all, I try NOT to tell him he's smart. I praise hard work, not intelligence. He already knows he's smart. He knows he's doing higher grade level work. He knows he's doing things other kids aren't doing. He doesn't need to be told those things. He's smart enough to figure it out. ;) I prefer to praise him for doing really well on his work and putting so much effort into it. Doing a few pages of PCM the other day without help was really cool, and I praised him for that. He normally needs me sitting right there, but it was fractions using recipes, and he was very comfortable with that topic, so he thought about them on his own. Yipee!

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do when she starts thinking about these comments. I praise effort as well, so hopefully it just won't be much of an issue.

Now as to your comment that people have low standards for children... No, that's not what I think. Usually when people comment on what my oldest is doing, it's because most kids aren't doing that. And being gifted, it's not that I just taught him early. Trust me, I tried to teach him to read when he was stuck in not-blending land. He was in that spot for a good year. Teaching him didn't work. I soon stopped trying, and he picked it up on his own, but he moved ahead very fast, and it wasn't normal for a kid his age. So yes, people noticed when he was reading WELL before he turned 5. They didn't have low standards. These were people who knew how kids normally progress in reading.

See, I have a tendancy to assume most people don't expose their kids to concepts until they are school age, even when it would have been appropriate earlier. If they are school-age, I would probably assume it was because they go to a public school and aren't being taught appropriately (yes, obvious homeschooler bias, but that truly has been my experience...). Maybe I'm overestimating kids rather than others underestimating them?? I definitely agree that you can't make them learn something before they are ready, though. :tongue_smilie:

I usually say something about how all kids have gifts, and then acknowledge that yes, hers happen to include whatever it is they are pointing out.

I think a lot of times, if it's a parent who still has young kids, they may become a bit defensive upon seeing some of the stuff my kids can do. They ask themselves, "should I have been pushing my kid to do this? Is my kid slow?" I've felt this way myself about stuff like interating well with people they meet in passing (a "hello" would be nice, or how about some eye contact?). We all have room for improvement. So my answer will tend to reflect that.

That is even more uncomfortable. :glare: I'm glad this hasn't come up much with us, if nothing else because we have a limited social circle. :tongue_smilie:

See, I have a tendancy to assume most people don't expose their kids to concepts until they are school age, even when it would have been appropriate earlier. If they are school-age, I would probably assume it was because they go to a public school and aren't being taught appropriately (yes, obvious homeschooler bias, but that truly has been my experience...). Maybe I'm overestimating kids rather than others underestimating them?? I definitely agree that you can't make them learn something before they are ready, though. :tongue_smilie:

Most of my friends read and talk to their kids, and the moms are home with them all day. If their kids were going to pick up on everything easily at an early age, they would have done so (and some DO, of course... when much of the area is engineers, you're bound to have some gifted kids amidst you, and that's the case for my area). I don't believe every kid should be getting phonics lessons at age 3 or anything like that. That's just not age appropriate for a vast majority of kids.

The public schools aren't doing THAT bad a job around here. Kids do learn. I don't like the creative writing they push or the sight words, but a large amount of kids are able to learn to read and write and do arithmetic. Is it the best education? No, but it's not like going to school causes all the kids to not learn to read. If they haven't learned to read in K, it's likely either a developmental issue (kid just isn't ready to blend) or a vision/LD problem.

Generally I have the opposite problem - my kids act silly or dumb when they are interacting with someone they don't know well, and since I don't normally say anything about their abilities, they actually pass off as average if not slow.

:lol: My children are like this, too .. to the point that it can be embarrassing and I think people are wondering what is wrong with them or whether I've been training them in basic decency and human interaction skills or just letting monkeys educate them. This adds an extra reason not to talk about what my oldest is doing in school. I mean, if his being 5 wasn't enough for them to raise their eyebrow at him doing spelling, the fact that he thinks it's socially acceptable to pretend to be a dinosaur in group gatherings, responding to people with roars and occasionally nipping in their direction is going to seal the impression that I am misguided as to what this child needs as far as "school".

:lol: My children are like this, too .. to the point that it can be embarrassing and I think people are wondering what is wrong with them or whether I've been training them in basic decency and human interaction skills or just letting monkeys educate them. This adds an extra reason not to talk about what my oldest is doing in school. I mean, if his being 5 wasn't enough for them to raise their eyebrow at him doing spelling, the fact that he thinks it's socially acceptable to pretend to be a dinosaur in group gatherings, responding to people with roars and occasionally nipping in their direction is going to seal the impression that I am misguided as to what this child needs as far as "school".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Sometimes I think y'all live at my house.

Do you have my DS2? :lol:

Most of my friends read and talk to their kids, and the moms are home with them all day. If their kids were going to pick up on everything easily at an early age, they would have done so (and some DO, of course... when much of the area is engineers, you're bound to have some gifted kids amidst you, and that's the case for my area). I don't believe every kid should be getting phonics lessons at age 3 or anything like that. That's just not age appropriate for a vast majority of kids.

The families I have been around the most aren't like that, so I don't have a similar comparison. Maybe I'll become more comfortable with it as she gets older, because I'll know for myself whether or not they're right.

The public schools aren't doing THAT bad a job around here. Kids do learn. I don't like the creative writing they push or the sight words, but a large amount of kids are able to learn to read and write and do arithmetic. Is it the best education? No, but it's not like going to school causes all the kids to not learn to read. If they haven't learned to read in K, it's likely either a developmental issue (kid just isn't ready to blend) or a vision/LD problem.

Oh, of course. I just meant that I think most public school kids are capable of a lot more than they are doing, even the kids in the suburbs at good schools. Again, I'm sure time will make it clearer for me. Honestly, public school was always incredibly easy for me (I did NOT go to top schools, FTR), so I have a hard time not thinking that is typical. I guess I do the same with the preschool set as well.

Yes indeedy. That is us too. Especially since DS2 is on a dinosaur kick, DD5 takes that as free reign to roar at him in public places. Sigh.

So .. chatting about kindergarten ..

I need to be told again that it's alright to not have a well laid out plan this year.

While doing HOD I felt confident that I could tailor the plan to fit DS and it got to the point where I was doing it so much that I dropped the guide. I felt fine about that .. until last night. Last night while trying to plan out a schedule I started feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing. I gave up on the schedule and began to formulate a few lists and goals instead such as how well I'd like him to be reading, what I'd like him to have memorized, be able to do, have some kind of exposure to, books I'd like him to read or to read to him, and so forth.

Tell me again that this is okay. He is official K age and this was supposed to be my first formal year but it's not working out so formally. On the bright side, he's advanced so I don't think I'm harming him too much and if we both learn some personal discipline this year - with him use to the idea of daily school and some basic work ethic, respect, etc. and with me learning to use my time well and keep my home orderly - I feel like we will have accomplished a lot.

I still feel a little odd without an organized 32-40 week plan of what we're going to do and read and memorize week to week.

I need to be told again that it's alright to not have a well laid out plan this year.

<snip>

I still feel a little odd without an organized 32-40 week plan of what we're going to do and read and memorize week to week.

It's ok not to have a well laid out year plan. I'm not sure how I could - the boy jumps so quickly I couldn't possibly lay it out that far in advance. I like your idea of lists of goals though - I may steal it.

So .. chatting about kindergarten ..

It's OK!! :grouphug:

There's a nice post somewhere on the forums by 8filltheheart where she mentions that she doesn't do yearly planning till after grade 2 because there are so many jumps and times of stalling, that there's no point in planning that far ahead.

Of course there is also the school of thought that a relaxed approach is better in these years anyway, so there you go. It's all good :)

FWIW I figure that this is a magical age and they have years to study, so if we ditch work here and there and go with the flow, run, play, dream, etc, that's what these years are for.

I loooove this post by Elizabeth Foss: The Not Really Kindergarten Post. Would love to hear what others think.

It's ok not to have a well laid out year plan. I'm not sure how I could - the boy jumps so quickly I couldn't possibly lay it out that far in advance. I like your idea of lists of goals though - I may steal it.

Good point. That is where my original plan fell apart to begin with.

It's OK!! :grouphug:

There's a nice post somewhere on the forums by 8filltheheart where she mentions that she doesn't do yearly planning till after grade 2 because there are so many jumps and times of stalling, that there's no point in planning that far ahead.

Of course there is also the school of thought that a relaxed approach is better in these years anyway, so there you go. It's all good :)

FWIW I figure that this is a magical age and they have years to study, so if we ditch work here and there and go with the flow, run, play, dream, etc, that's what these years are for.

I loooove this post by Elizabeth Foss: The Not Really Kindergarten Post. Would love to hear what others think.

Thank-you for that link. I'm not through it yet but I am enjoying it.

Also, as I was thinking about my goals I was thinking that I can see this taking a couple of years and so I feel much freer about that after reading your comment about 8FillTheHeart not formally planning 1st either. :D

:iagree::iagree: I have to make lists. It's the only way I feel organized. I also have to change my lists almost weekly. :lol:

We had a huge breakthrough yesterday with my oldest, The Sponge. (Late birthday, K age, not K work.) She's been in vision therapy for a little over 2 months, and at the beginning she had to be forced to read a single sentence, let alone a short paragraph on an easy reader page. :svengo: :tongue_smilie:

Yesterday when I pulled out our read-aloud, an abridged chapter book (The Time Traveler). She asked to read the first page herself--just one page. She's never read anything like a solid page of text before. Then she asked to read the next page. Then she handed it to me and I read one page, and by then she wanted to read again. She finished the chapter. Herself. This morning she refused to read her Berenstein Bears (which last week had "too many words") because, "I can read CHAPTER books!!!!" She started on Charlotte's Web instead. She's just doing a page or two at a time and then coming back to it later, as her stamina is obviously not very high yet, lol, but this is so huge for her. :hurray: I am trying to convince her that picture books/easier books are not worthless now:lol:.

Also, The Drama (actual K work) just got the first set of BOB books, and was running around the house in glee that she has books she can read herself. :lol:

:iagree::iagree: I have to make lists. It's the only way I feel organized. I also have to change my lists almost weekly. :lol:

We had a huge breakthrough yesterday with my oldest, The Sponge. (Late birthday, K age, not K work.) She's been in vision therapy for a little over 2 months, and at the beginning she had to be forced to read a single sentence, let alone a short paragraph on an easy reader page. :svengo: :tongue_smilie:

Yesterday when I pulled out our read-aloud, an abridged chapter book (The Time Traveler). She asked to read the first page herself--just one page. She's never read anything like a solid page of text before. Then she asked to read the next page. Then she handed it to me and I read one page, and by then she wanted to read again. She finished the chapter. Herself. This morning she refused to read her Berenstein Bears (which last week had "too many words") because, "I can read CHAPTER books!!!!" She started on Charlotte's Web instead. She's just doing a page or two at a time and then coming back to it later, as her stamina is obviously not very high yet, lol, but this is so huge for her. :hurray: I am trying to convince her that picture books/easier books are not worthless now:lol:.

Also, The Drama (actual K work) just got the first set of BOB books, and was running around the house in glee that she has books she can read herself. :lol:

Congratulations!

Great news about your DD's reading breakthrough LI :)

We've just got home from a roadtrip and DD has zoomed ahead mathematically. She asked to do mathletics today and completed two entire sections of her 2cnd grade curriculum. 100% in the tests for each. She's also had some kind of developmental spurt in piano and has much more stamina than before we went away. We took her violin (and only managed to practice twice) but a week and a bit away from piano seems to have been a good thing.

Just a quick note about my eldest, who started KG early (turned 5 this week). I was skeptical about putting her into KG because of her vision issues, and also because she had some insecurities (which she seemed to grow out of this past summer). But the school thought she was ready, and I know she's ahead in some areas, so I decided to give it a whirl.

She has been holding her own, but I wondered what her teacher's thoughts were. Usually I have no opportunity to talk to the teacher due to schedule clash.

So today the teacher told me dd has been doing awesome in KG. She's doing everything she's supposed to do and excelling in some areas. No concerns have arisen with visual memory, which is her weak spot in my opinion. So far, so good!

Teacher said this proves that it's good to give kids a chance to see how far they can go.

Of course this does nothing to make me feel more complacent about little sis being stuck in pre-K, but that's a separate discussion.

Everyone's favorite subject over there? :lol:

It used to be. :confused: She was doing 2nd and some 3rd grade math over the summer, and loving it. She would bring Singapore to the park. She got stuck at regrouping, due to not knowing her math facts well enough/needing more practice, and so I went back to the easier math for practice, planning to fly through it, and she says even that is too hard, refuses to try, says she doesn't know, she can't do it, etc--and it's early first grade math. :confused: So we can't do any more of what she was doing until she understands the regrouping/fact families better, and now she won't do that without a lot of convincing. Sometimes she will give me the correct answer to a really hard problem intuitively, but she doesn't know how she got it, and so we can't work through any serious amount of harder questions. We're using Singapore, and she likes it a lot when you ask her about it, but blargh.

Edited by LittleIzumi