Menu

Final thoughts

I've been reading this board since 2000. Reading TWTM is what gave me the confidence to home school my children. I actually read it while sitting by the pool one summer and I am so emotional looking at it now with all the sun screen splotches and smears. I have loaned it out to an awful lot of people, most of whom now home school, too. Reading it, coming here, and home schooling all turned out to be immeasurably rewarding for my family.

I read The Well Educated Mind the first week it was released. I decided educate myself well. The next weekend I went to dinner with my husband and on the way to the restaurant we bought a lottery ticket. While drinking a bottle of wine we were discussing what we were going to do with the money when we won it. I told my husband I wanted to go to college, buy new luggage, and start running and working out more. He looked at me very seriously and said that I really didn't have to win the lottery to do any of those things. I enrolled in a local college online when we got home that night and I will be graduating with my BS in the spring. I still don't have new luggage...

My home schooling days are almost over. I have enrolled the kids in a local private school and we are all very excited about it. Nothing huge happened which made us change our course. We just need a different way to live. I am tired of home schooling and my kids are anxious to experience school.

All three of them will remain competing year round in swimming and I will continue my role as "she who drives them everywhere all the time." I am going to work on my masters next year and plan to take this train as far as I can. I am working toward my second marathon and am hoping to run at least three in the next year.

I would not have done this had I not been a part of these conversations, read all the books I possibly could which were recommended here, and been able to do it with my kids. I didn't know this many opinions even existed before I came here and my life is so much richer because I have a broader perspective now. My family has been so blessed to have been able to listen in your conversations and to be able to grow with you and because of you.

I have to go and start new conversations. I won't be coming here any more because I don't feel I should. I have new projects and interests now that really don't include home education anymore. I will miss you all so much and want you to know how grateful I am for you.

Susan Wise Bauer - Thank you. You may never really know how many people you have influenced. I appreciate you so much.

Wishing you all the best in this next chapter. Clearly, you have found a fire inside yourself that is serving you very well. I'm impressed by your ability and desire to follow your dreams.

Do know that we would welcome your participation here anytime you felt you wanted to just pop in. You don't have to be homeschooling to be a valuable presence here...but you know this already right?

As we move toward transitioning our oldest into public school next year, and consider when and if the youngest will make a similar shift, your words resonate with me. Thank you for being a part of this community.

Mad Charity:grouphug:

I think that it is so awesome that you are going to be able to finish school for you! I think that it is equally as awesome that you are able to let go of homeschooling with no guilt. I truly respect your decision and I wish you the best in all you do!:001_smile:

Tears in my eyes too. That was such a beautiful statement. Congratulations on all of your wonderful successes and the future successes you and your dc have yet to achieve. Your words will no doubt become influential to many people here just as SWB's were to you.

Peace and Blessings for your journey.

Best of everything to you. I'm not homeschooling dd next year, and only doing a little with ds, but wouldn't you know it, we ordered Apologia's Zoo 3 anyway, to do over the summer and when we feel like we need "something to do."

Thanks for all your advice and for speaking your mind in your posts.

Now get out there and do some Larnin'!!!:D

I've been reading this board since 2000. Reading TWTM is what gave me the confidence to home school my children. I actually read it while sitting by the pool one summer and I am so emotional looking at it now with all the sun screen splotches and smears. I have loaned it out to an awful lot of people, most of whom now home school, too. Reading it, coming here, and home schooling all turned out to be immeasurably rewarding for my family.

I read The Well Educated Mind the first week it was released. I decided educate myself well. The next weekend I went to dinner with my husband and on the way to the restaurant we bought a lottery ticket. While drinking a bottle of wine we were discussing what we were going to do with the money when we won it. I told my husband I wanted to go to college, buy new luggage, and start running and working out more. He looked at me very seriously and said that I really didn't have to win the lottery to do any of those things. I enrolled in a local college online when we got home that night and I will be graduating with my BS in the spring. I still don't have new luggage...

My home schooling days are almost over. I have enrolled the kids in a local private school and we are all very excited about it. Nothing huge happened which made us change our course. We just need a different way to live. I am tired of home schooling and my kids are anxious to experience school.

All three of them will remain competing year round in swimming and I will continue my roll as "she who drives them everywhere all the time." I am going to work on my masters next year and plan to take this train as far as I can. I am working toward my second marathon and am hoping to run at least three in the next year.

I would not have done this had I not been a part of these conversations, read all the books I possibly could which were recommended here, and been able to do it with my kids. I didn't know this many opinions even existed before I came here and my life is so much richer because I have a broader perspective now. My family has been so blessed to have been able to listen in your conversations and to be able to grow with you and because of you.

I have to go and start new conversations. I won't be coming here any more because I don't feel I should. I have new projects and interests now that really don't include home education anymore. I will miss you all so much and want you to know how grateful I am for you.

Susan Wise Bauer - Thank you. You may never really know how many people you have influenced. I appreciate you so much.

Then the the Well-Trained Things cried, "Oh please don't go --we'll eat you up, we love you so!"

And Mad Charity said, "No!"

The Well-Trained things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws but Mad Charity stepped into her private boat and waved goodbye.

(But we'll never forget you. And we do love you so. May your new conversations nourish your soul.)