Menu

How To Spot An Abusive Church: Cult-watcher Ronald Enroth

How To Spot An Abusive Church.

Group Magazine

March, 1992

Cult-watcher Ronald Enroth exposes the six manipulative tools some church leaders use to control their flocks.

BY DR. RONALD ENROTH

Is your church spiritually abusive?

According to cult-watcher Dr. Ronald Enroth in his just-released book Churches That Abuse, controlling, authoritarian church leaders have a grip on countless congregations all over the world. How can you recognize abusive tendencies when they surface? Enroth points to six key characteristics of abusive churches. Read about them in this excerpt from Churches That Abuse:

Dependency

Abusive churches foster unhealthy forms of dependency, spiritually and otherwise, by focusing on themes of submission and obedience to those in authority. They create the impression that people just aren't going to find their way through life's maze without a lot of firm directives from those at the top. They promote what former Great Commission International member Jerry MacDonald calls a form of "learned helplessness."

He writes: "Remarkably, many intelligent Christians actually enjoy being told what to do. In GCI churches, people seek the elders for permission to go home and see their parents or friends, and to inquire for how long they may stay; they go to them for permission to go to a party with unbelievers..."

The disquieting truth is that many Christians do indeed fall into the trap of authoritarianism because of an inclination toward the black and white mentality that abusive churches cater to. If you have the type of personality that is drawn toward groups that offer wrap-around security and solutions to all your problems, you are vulnerable to spiritual abuse.

Legalism

The discerning Christian must also be aware of the trap of legalism. Preoccupation with keeping Christian rules enhances guilt feelings in members, and it acts as an effective control mechanism for power abusers. "Legalism is never corrective church discipline. For legalism pulls us away from following Christ toward another gospel, another gospel that says the cross is not enough."

Isolationism

Another quality that can lead to abusive behavior in a church is the tendency toward isolationism, a conscious effort to limit input from outside the church-in other words, information control. Beware of the church where outside speakers are consistently denied access to the pulpit, and where other Christian churches are regularly denounced, belittled, or ridiculed.

It is my opinion, based on extensive research and informal observation, that authoritarian leaders are ecclesiastical loners. That is, they do not function well or willingly in the context of systematic checks and balances. They are fiercely independent and refuse to be part of a structure of accountability. To put it crudely, they operate a one-man (or one-woman) spiritual show.

Discipline

Another sign of impending trouble in a church is an obsession with discipline and excommunication. Beware of churches that warn of certain doom if you leave their "covering," or if you "break covenant." Once banished from the group, little compassion is shown the wayward one.

An overwhelming majority of the ex-members I have interviewed expressed the opinion that abusive leaders are cold, almost cruel, in the treatment of people who leave-whether that departure was voluntary or involuntary.

Disrupted Family Relationships

A sure sign that a church is headed for the fringe is when family relationships are significantly disrupted and the leadership encourages the severing of ties with relatives outside of the group. "Be prepared to switch your loyalty from your natural family to God's family," advises Marie Kolasinski of the Body of Christ Fellowship. "Those blood ties are filthy rags unto God. So if you are experiencing great upheaval in your well-ordered natural family, BE OF GOOD CHEER."

When a Christian is asked to sacrifice family relationships for church loyalty, it's time to bail out.

Surveillance

When a church institutes a surveillance system and encourages its members to keep close tabs on one another, it's time to look for another church.

A former member of the Boston Movement describes a scenario common to most abusive churches. "Everyone's Christian life was under scrutiny by someone, assigned by some level of authority; each member was confronted with observed faults, issued counsel, and followed up; each was encouraged to know the true state of his own soul, its sins and weaknesses, and to confess these openly and honestly to others who have ministry and authority over him."

Good article - I remember most of these characteristics, especially the 6th, from reading "Seductive Poison" by Deborah Layton (who escaped from Jim Jones's cult).

Thanks for mentioning this book. I will check it out.

I know people, including my immediate family, who are afraid of all churches after being exposed to this behavior, so the article that I posted meant a lot to me because it seems to be saying that they aren't all that way, nor should be. Yet I know that one can most definitely be a Christian without a church. Churches are for encouragement.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thanks for mentioning this book. I will check it out.

I know people, including my immediate family, who are afraid of all churches after being exposed to this behavior, so the article that I posted meant a lot to me because it seems to be saying that they aren't all that way, nor should be. Yet I know that one can most definitely be a Christian without a church. Churches are for encouragement.

You're welcome. Another book I recommend is "Raven: The Untold Story of Rev. Jim Jones and His People" by Tim Reiterman. He was a journalist in Congressman Leo Ryan's delegation that visited Guyana, and survived the attacks which tragically killed the Congressman and the other reporters. This book answered some of the questions I had from reading Layton's book, and gave another view of Deborah Layton's sister-in-law Caroline (who is painted very innocently in her book, but clearly knew more of the details).

I agree that there are sadly many wolves in sheep's clothing, and your list gives a good summary of what to look for. I hope your family will be able to overcome the aversion for there can be great, encouraging and even uplifting churches.

I wouldn't call what we left last year a cult, but there were portions of that article that rang true to my experience. Not only is it sad, but it makes the person who leaves feel like a fool for buying it for so long. I can now feel great joy in my freedom in Christ!!

:iagree:Except for I left 5 years ago. I am so thankful that the Lord opened my eyes. :001_smile:

I'm not Christian, (Jewish here) but you know what I think "taking God's name in vain" REALLY means? Not saying the word "god" as an exclamation, that's for sure.

I think it is when people use the name and authority of God for human-centered power. While there are wise and enlightened humans that can help nurture your spiritual understanding and be educational and inspirational, such people do not speak for God. Authentically godly people will be the first to tell you they never speak for God. (Even a sophisticated understanding of Catholicism puts the role of priest or Pope in a very human context.)

I'm not Christian, (Jewish here) but you know what I think "taking God's name in vain" REALLY means? Not saying the word "god" as an exclamation, that's for sure.

I think it is when people use the name and authority of God for human-centered power. While there are wise and enlightened humans that can help nurture your spiritual understanding and be educational and inspirational, such people do not speak for God. Authentically godly people will be the first to tell you they never speak for God.

:iagree:Thanks!

That is the kind of church I was raised in. I left the church at 18 and refused to go to ANY church until I was 32 years old. That's how traumatic it was for me.

My mother and both brothers STILL will not go to church because of it and it has been 23 years. Those cult leaders WILL be held responsible by God for leading people astray.

I find it so saddening to think of all the people in churches like that, and who believe that that's what church should be, because that's all they've ever known. So sad.

I had a friend who actually *chose* an abusive church. She didn't realize at first that it was, but she stayed there after it became apparent what was going on, not unlike the way an abused spouse stays with the abuser.

I had a friend who actually *chose* an abusive church. She didn't realize at first that it was, but she stayed there after it became apparent what was going on, not unlike the way an abused spouse stays with the abuser.

Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships

Releasing The Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves

Combatting Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults

Steve Hassan was in a cult and understands how intelligent people end up trapped in them.

When I was contemplating a major in psychology the topic of abusive churches was my plan for my thesis.

For those familiar with such churches, what denomination(s) do you think are most susceptible to becoming abusive environments? (I have my own strong opinions here but I'd like to see what others say.)

I think it is when people use the name and authority of God for human-centered power. While there are wise and enlightened humans that can help nurture your spiritual understanding and be educational and inspirational, such people do not speak for God. Authentically godly people will be the first to tell you they never speak for God. (Even a sophisticated understanding of Catholicism puts the role of priest or Pope in a very human context.)

That's what I was taught about not taking God's name in vain, too.

When I was contemplating a major in psychology the topic of abusive churches was my plan for my thesis.

For those familiar with such churches, what denomination(s) do you think are most susceptible to becoming abusive environments? (I have my own strong opinions here but I'd like to see what others say.)

I'm not sure if it's more common in some denominations than others but my experience was in a pentacostal church/charismatic church.

I'm not sure if it's more common in some denominations than others but my experience was in a pentacostal church/charismatic church.

Yup.

It's denominations and groups which have no checks and balances on power, where one person, whether by claiming some special relationship or word froom God (that is above testing by others in the congregation) or by forceful personality or ability to manipulate is allowed to assume a corrupt position of power and authority.

Because God Himself is invoked as being behind all these claims and power grabs, people are caught in a bind--to go against the leader is to go against God in their minds, which is why they keep on submitting.

So denominations or independent churches that truly have plurality of leadership and who take the whole "testing" thing seriously aren't likely to get abusive.

It's denominations and groups which have no checks and balances on power, where one person, whether by claiming some special relationship or word froom God (that is above testing by others in the congregation) or by forceful personality or ability to manipulate is allowed to assume a corrupt position of power and authority.

Because God Himself is invoked as being behind all these claims and power grabs, people are caught in a bind--to go against the leader is to go against God in their minds, which is why they keep on submitting.

So denominations or independent churches that truly have plurality of leadership and who take the whole "testing" thing seriously aren't likely to get abusive.

My Pastor never claimed a special revelation from God or a special word from God but he was definitely on a power trip. I've seen this happen many times: the pastor is on a power trip and because he seems to be so important, other people want his approval so that they can feel important as well. Then they end up with this little clique that (deep down) believes they are better than the others. I think a lot of the draw in churches like this is the desire to feel important, needed, like you are somebody. After all, I was made to feel that you could only be on the "praise team", speak at church, hold a position of authority if you were considered holy enough by the pastor. That was never said outright, just a general feeling.

My eye opener came when the pastor left the church. I really began to question a lot of what I had been taught.