Menu

modern history suggestion

My son is reaching 14yo. He has yet to study the years 1850-now. He's working with Sonligh Core 7, which uses SotW. He LOATHES that program (Sotw). I love it, but he hates it with a passion. He is enjoying books like George Washington's World.

He's about to start the 4th volume. I'm willing to replace it with something else. But what? I almost caved in and looked into Mystery of History, which I never accepted before because of the religious slant. Well, they don't have their last book out yet. And now, I am clueless as to what's there that's mostly secular.

History Odessey from Pandia Press. Level II is acceptable for this age. Level III is not completed yet for that tome period. It is secular.

They seem to be using Story of Mankind, which ends in 1922, if I am correct. Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not looking to replace the whole curriculum, just that particular book. I want to swap the spine for another spine, and keep the rest of Sonlight.

They seem to be using Story of Mankind, which ends in 1922, if I am correct. Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not looking to replace the whole curriculum, just that particular book. I want to swap the spine for another spine, and keep the rest of Sonlight.

K12's Human Odyssey: From Modern Times to Our Contemporary Era will do what you need and is age-appropriate.

Whispering here..... (we did Story of the World Vol. 4).

That was at the end of our school year after cramming all of world history into one year and we were tired. But, we loved that book. I do think it could be beefed up with outside reading if you have more time than we did.

Have you looked at the high school level modern US and world history from Beautiful Feet? Your mention that he likes the Foster books made me think of them. There aren't Foster books for the modern time period, but the books she uses in the study are very interesting. A lot of biographies, especially, which I think he would like. There are a few questions in the study guide of a Christian viewpoint, but it isn't hard to just skip those. It isn't an essential chunk of the learning. It just brings in some Christian perspective for those who do want it.