Menu

DIY Senior Pictures?

After reeling at the hundreds of dollars it would cost for "real" senior pictures (very common here, not sure if that's "normal"), my DDs want to try doing their own pics on our camera and then Photoshopping them as needed.

Anyone done this? Tips to share? Some of their ps friends already have theirs, so they want to do them this week or next with good weather (outside pics of course).

Thanks!

I did my dd's. You can see a couple of them here and here. We spent an entire afternoon, she had a couple of outfits/accesories, did her nail and hair and then we walked around our property,using our outbuildings as scenery.

I took 150 pictures, using an ordinary digital camera. I have a much nicer one now, which would have been fun to play with re: different settings, flash, etc.

We took the couple "finalist" pics and made an announcement/ pics at Sams.

Dd#1 we took to Sears (our only "big box" photographer) & they were fine & not too expensive. I put a wallet sized in the grad announcements (that I did myself.)

Dd#2 we did our own. She had a couple of outfits plus we had 2 different color caps & gowns to choose from. We set up a plain back drop (solid sheet) to do the cap & gown photo, but the rest were various spots in our yard.

The coolest was the printing. We did a 5x7 @ Walgreens with 3 pictures & the 4th square she fixed a .jpg w/the text of "Join Us in Celebrating the 2011 High School Graduation of Darling Daughter." Looked really cool, said what we wanted on 1 sheet, & the postage was still 44 cents.

I took my daughter to the local Picture People for hers. ( http://www.picturepeople.com/ ) It was pricier than doing our own, but not too bad. I think we paid about $100 for the package. And, for her, part of it was the experience of getting dressed up and letting a "pro" take the pictures.

I will say that we were not happy with the first batch. We had been there for holiday photos in the past and had never had a problem. But this time, they just weren't right. We complained, and they assigned us a different photographer to re-do the session the same day. They were very nice about it, and the second batch was quite good.

I'm not sure what we'll do for my son when it's his turn. We've figured out over the last couple of years that I get photos of the kids that are about as good as the pros get. So, I've been doing their head shots (for theatre) and stuff pretty regularly. I suspect we may just take and afternoon and do our own.

laughinglioness, gorgeous pics! and gorgeous daughter, for that matter.

Stacey, I would definitely give it a try. Digital means you can burn plenty of "film" and not worry about it, *g*.

It might be worth it to see if your library has a book on photo composition. Just a few simple hints can really make the difference between "good" and "great" pictures.

fwiw, I think the amount of money people routinely spend on senior photos, announcements, cards, etc is NUTS! I really like K-FL's idea of a composite photo with invite, very clever.

We did my dd's official 8th grade photos ourselves. We did a couple photo shoots and took millions of shots. We ended up with a beautiful photo to use and several close runner-ups.

One other funny thing we did: We printed out many of the photos because I wanted to see them in real life rather than on the computer. For dd's 8th grade graduation party, I cut out the heads from the photos, taped them to little girl paper dolls, and then sprinkled them all over the house. The effect was quite comic! Some of dd's little cousins kept bunches of the dolls for fun too.

laughinglioness, gorgeous pics! and gorgeous daughter, for that matter.

QUOTE]

Laughing lioness - your pictures are great, but I got distracted by a fantastic Charlotte Mason quote you've got on the page...which I have on our schoolroom door! (The question is not - how much does the youth know...) :)

Thanks ;).

I love that quote by Charlotte! She has a lot of quote-worthy sayings!

We also took the senior photo and went on to make our daughter's graduation announcement/invitation. We walked to several scenic locations nearby and used up a roll of film. I looked at several graduation announcement/invitations on line, and we designed our own which we printed on photo paper. We were pleased with the result.

Regards,

Kareni

I just did mine recently.

It has been rainy these past few days, and we also don't really live in a "scenic" area (though we do have some nice parks). I just decided to pin up a sheet and pose in front of it :D

We're getting a Value pack from Walgreens for $10 that includes 20 (4x6), 3 (5x7), 3 (8x10) & 20 (2x3 wallet prints). For $10, that's a pretty darn good deal :001_smile:

post-15987-13535085449775_thumb.jpg