Menu

Does anyone else get excited moving at changing kids' bedroom assignments?

Ria

We have a 5-bedroom house. Of our 6 children, only 3 live at home full-time now (1 is in college, 2 are out of the house). Today we are rearranging dc and our exercise equipment. By the end of the day we should have three boys in separate rooms and the college student sharing a room with our extensive exercise equipment (elliptical machine, treadmill, home gym) when he's home.

Our youngest two (16 & 14) have always shared a room, so they are thrilled beyond words to get their own bedrooms. Our college boy is home today and is very easy-going; he doesn't mind his bed being behind all our machines. :)

I must admit, I love moving the kids around...I hate actual the process, but absolutely love the re-organization and decluttering that are the end result. Of course, that part will take me another week or two, but ultimately it is so worth it!

:seeya:

Me! Me! I do! I moved my boys in together a while back to free up the big room for a playroom (again). They have bunks but I put them side-by-side. DH called when I was in the middle of the project, sweating my rear off, right in the thick of things. "Whatcha doin'?" I tell him and he chuckles. "I'll move them back for you when I get home," he says. :lol: He knows me so well. I did buy them matching bedclothes this time though, so I'm in it to win it!

I blame it on a life of being an Army brat and Army wife. I've been in this house for 6 years, longer than I have ever lived anywhere, ever. I have to get my moving thrills somehow. :tongue_smilie:

I even moved the living room furniture around (again) yesterday in anticipation of the beautiful weather we will have this week. I had to maximize seating for appreciation of the breezes. I've got issues. :lol:

:seeya:

I even moved the living room furniture around (again) yesterday in anticipation of the beautiful weather we will have this week. I had to maximize seating for appreciation of the breezes. I've got issues. :lol:

:lol::lol:

We are seriously contemplating a move in the near future and yes, one of the most exciting parts for me is that the boys' rooms will be rearranged and they'll each have their own again.

Plus if we get the house we're wanting, I'll have a (teeny tiny) sewing room.

Am ready to start the declutter and sorting of "who gets which toys" now. Preferrably with as little input as possible from the actual boys/owners of said toys. Good times!

No, I'm not enjoying our little moving adventure this weekend. Dd (15) asked if she could have the downstairs homeschool room as her bedroom. It means that she gets her own bathroom (instead of sharing with three younger brothers) and a little more peace and quiet.

I understand where she's coming from so I gave up my homeschooling room. Trying to find a place for all of our shelves, art supplies, etc. has been a little challenging. I still have a layer of miscellaneous stuff on the floor downstairs and I'm in the midst of sorting through it. She's currently painting her new bedroom purple.

I know I'll feel out of sorts until I have things properly organized. And I'm really going to miss my school room, but it's been fun to see dd's plans for the room and I know she's going to be much happier in it.

This is oldest ds's second and last year living away in the dorms (he's a senior now). He is close enough to come home most weekends, which allows him to see us, his girlfriend, and go to worship with us. He's the only one of our 5 dc who's ever had his own room, and this time when he moved his stuff to the dorm he asked me if I would get rid of anything that's left, and give his room to one of his brothers. The next oldest brother has graduated and is living as an adult in our home. He works very hard from sun-up to sun-down, and is an on-call volunteer firefighter during the nighttime hours. This means he has a loud pager that goes off at all times of the night, and necessitates him bolting from bed, turning on the lights, and throwing on his gear before leaving in a rush. I understand that he's probably at an age where he really kind of needs his own space, both for his own sake, and for the sake of ds#3, who's not really getting enough sleep due to older brother's night calls and 5 a.m. alarm for work.

It was very kind of ds#1 to give up his room. He says that when he's home, he'll bunk in with younger ds(17).

So, I'm trying to rejoice with the boys and get the room cleaned, repainted, and fixed up in a more adult masculine style for ds#2. I'm not enjoying it emotionally though, and even though I know I'm blessed that I get to see oldest ds so often, and that he's not planning on going far away, I struggle with change.

I keep reminding myself that this is what I raised them to be. I hoped, and prayed, and put my heart into teaching my dc to grow into mature, wonderful adults. Here it is. Here they are. Still, even though I've had so many years to mentally prepare, I'm not ready for the "next chapter", no matter how good it's probably going to be. :001_unsure:

Edited by Julie in CA