Menu

*sigh* Ph. D. competition....email from Professor............

Dear Ms. __________,

Glad to hear that you are interested in our program. I will be taking one student

next year. Please be advised that we recommend applying to 15+ doctoral programs, as

they are very competitive and the odds of getting into any specific program are very

low. We received about 300 applications last year and accepted 5 students.

Looking forward to reviewing your application, due Dec 15.

Sincerely,

Dr. ___________

I am geographically anchored. I have 3 minor kids in a co-parenting arrangement.

The other email was more encouraging, he said that "good GRE scores" would complete a good, competitive application.

I think I am going to have to study and re-take the GRE. My verbal scores were more than adequate, but my quantitative was in the tank.

Or, give up the idea entirely, continue to teach at my children's school, get my counseling licenses and find a non-standard hour salaried counseling role to begin working on my 3000 LPC hours and my 3000 LMFT hours.

Every doctoral candidate in this field faces this. Keep at it! However, you could go with Plan B to work as a licensed counselor for now since you have so much on your plate at this time. When things get a little "lighter" you can always reconsider.

A Ph. D, full time, program and some PRN counseling hours would be far, far less than I am doing now. ;) This is the last semester in which I will have all these multiple roles. Academically, it is an easy one for me. I could fit in a cram for the GRE.

A Ph. D, full time, program and some PRN counseling hours would be far, far less than I am doing now. ;) This is the last semester in which I will have all these multiple roles. Academically, it is an easy one for me. I could fit in a cram for the GRE.

Will having more counseling hours under your belt make you more competitive?

In my experience, it's the GRE scores that help you make the first cut, at the very least. They are extremely important. I would definitely re-take them.

PhD slots are often dependent on grant money, which is why they are so competitive. Many moons ago, I was thisclose to acceptance into the neuroscience program at the University of Colorado. At my interview, the prof said that the applications were all spread out on the table before a few profs and they each chose one. She said most other universities use the GRE to make the initial cut, but they didn't. Mine weren't very good. Anyway, she did not get her grant, so I was out.

You can do this! Good luck!

Will having more counseling hours under your belt make you more competitive?

I can't say for sure. I'm inclined to say "no", however. Psychologists tends to look down upon/discount counselors and counseling.

I'm not sure how my life experience (teaching, 20 years in AA, lay-teaching of parenting from an Adlerian based paradigm, being published - albeit in other people's works) and the fact that I have had 3 counseling practicums will be framed.

I can't say for sure. I'm inclined to say "no", however. Psychologists tends to look down upon/discount counselors and counseling.

I'm not sure how my life experience (teaching, 20 years in AA, lay-teaching of parenting from an Adlerian based paradigm, being published - albeit in other people's works) and the fact that I have had 3 counseling practicums will be framed.

It'll probably heavily depend on who is looking it over and how it appeals to them.

The system is so hard to work through- I hope that you get it!

Given your dh's ongoing health issue I would be inclined to wait. But,...that's just mho. :grouphug:

The programs I have looked at for doctorates rely heavily on residencies and Ph.D candidates are expected to spend a LOT of time on campus being 'in residence', spending time doing research, conversing with peers and faculty, etc. It seems like one or two more hospitalizations with your dh could greatly hamper your academic reputation with the 'powers that be' in a program that you are in. :grouphug:

Have you already read this article from a couple of years ago: Graduate School in the Humanities: Just Don't Go :(

Sara,

I'm not sure why you posted this?:confused: First, the opinon piece focuses primarily on Ph. D. students who intend to teach full time.

Second, I already have (on Dec. 10 ;)) a professional designation that can garner me a range of positions. If I completed a Dr. of Psych program, my choices would be elevated, not restricted.

Third, I'm not sure if Psychology is considered a "humanity".

Fourth, I returned to school in my 40's. I am hardly of the demographic the writer speaks of.

Edited by Joanne

Given your dh's ongoing health issue I would be inclined to wait. But,...that's just mho. :grouphug:

The programs I have looked at for doctorates rely heavily on residencies and Ph.D candidates are expected to spend a LOT of time on campus being 'in residence', spending time doing research, conversing with peers and faculty, etc. It seems like one or two more hospitalizations with your dh could greatly hamper your academic reputation with the 'powers that be' in a program that you are in. :grouphug:

My husband's health issues will effect any role or position I am in.

I currently juggle 3 kids (2 of whom live with me), I teach 3/4 time, am a full time student and carry full time work hours as a library assistant.

A Ph. D. program would be quantifiably less, especially since the above does not account for study or teaching planning.

I was thinking not of HOURS, but of professional reputation and how subsequent health crises could negatively affect that. If I came off like a wet blanket I apologize. I understand that the hours would be reduced.

I get what you were trying to communicate now. I agree that less than gazelle focus on a Ph. D. could potentially be reputation tarnishing, even with legit family issues.

I still think that it will be a potential issue if I were to pursue any professional job at this point.

DH and I have discussed this and related issues. We feel that my career *has* to come first, for a few reasons. One is the unfortunate reality that he might not make it to the right help before it is too late. Another is that breaking the momentum of student/study at my age for work in between could make it difficult to return in a few years. He insists that if my career gets delayed due to his illness, he'd be upset.

The impact of chronic illness on a family is one area of study I'd like to pursue. ;)

I'm assuming then they prefer the focus to be on research?

You know what? You are smart and effective. Why wouldn't they pick you?

Take a shot, you have nothing to lose.

If they pick you and you don't want to attend right then, but have a good reason to think that you'll be able to give it your full attention later, maybe they will give you a deferral.

I am sure that after all those years of homeschooling you could brush up on the math section of the GRE pretty quickly, and we already know that you're a good student.

It is discouraging to think about the stats, but shoot, someone has to win.

I read once that only about 20% of students who start college ever get a 4 year degree. Honestly, it never even occurred to me that I wouldn't finish. If I had known that stat ahead of time, I might have doubted myself. Thankfully I didn't. If I were you, I would pretend not to know, and go for it. You have a viable Plan B in any case.

The only thing that would make me say differently is if you can get medical insurance for your DH with Plan B but not with Plan A. That's pretty much priority one, or so it seems.

:iagree: with Carol in Cal

What worked for me having been there done that in a different field.

1) Retake the GRE. Give yourself 30 min each day and work through a practice test section. Review the answers, correct and incorrect. Make sure you learn the stuff that brought your score down the last time. It is not rocket science, just rigor and discipline.

2) Pick a couple of professors whose interests coincide with yours. Contact them, research them, read their work and tailor your letter to them. Don't worry about the others, if you aren't interested in their work, you don't want to work with them anyway. (Sounds like you may already be doing this, if I read your OP correctly)

3) Frame your experience in terms of your chosen professors work.

When I applied and got in, I was completely naive about how off the map my background was (all practical, non-academic, non-theoretical-but I could still think!). I was interested in one specific professor's work and I wrote my letter as a response to that work, and framed my experience within that context. It seemed to me to make sense and I found out much later that the letter leapt out at him. I didn't specify him by name just talked about our common ground and what I could bring to the table. I was different from all the other students he worked with, BUT I showed that I understood where he was going and that I would bring a unique perspective that would add depth to his work.

Go for it - those odds are not all that long.:)

Scotia

I was in a PhD program with children in tow. I left ABD with a consolation prize MA. Unless the degree will lead to a definite job in a town you are willing to move to, I wouldn't pursue an academic PhD. The sacrifices were just too much. In my department, at my university, the idea of parenthood was foreign. I was the only one with kids. I remember trying to explain to my professor that I had to go pick up my daughter at daycare at 6 and couldn't do some extra work because it was her 5th birthday that evening. And she told me she's old enough to understand that mommy had more important things to do.

Anyway, I missed too many important moments while locked in my ivory tower (though it was a lovely, exciting, challenging tower...) I felt I could be a good mother or a good student, but wasn't able to do both. I might have made the sacrifices on behalf of the family if I thought I would get a good job in the end, but even that was a long shot.

I was in a PhD program with children in tow. I left ABD with a consolation prize MA. Unless the degree will lead to a definite job in a town you are willing to move to, I wouldn't pursue an academic PhD. The sacrifices were just too much. In my department, at my university, the idea of parenthood was foreign. I was the only one with kids. I remember trying to explain to my professor that I had to go pick up my daughter at daycare at 6 and couldn't do some extra work because it was her 5th birthday that evening. And she told me she's old enough to understand that mommy had more important things to do.

Anyway, I missed too many important moments while locked in my ivory tower (though it was a lovely, exciting, challenging tower...) I felt I could be a good mother or a good student, but wasn't able to do both. I might have made the sacrifices on behalf of the family if I thought I would get a good job in the end, but even that was a long shot.

Hm. Thanks for responding. My kids are much older (all teens). I am not sure what an "academic Ph. D." means.

At the end of my type of Ph. D., I would be a practicing Psychologist. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of working (non academic) roles for that.

:iagree: with Carol in Cal

What worked for me having been there done that in a different field.

1) Retake the GRE. Give yourself 30 min each day and work through a practice test section. Review the answers, correct and incorrect. Make sure you learn the stuff that brought your score down the last time. It is not rocket science, just rigor and discipline.

2) Pick a couple of professors whose interests coincide with yours. Contact them, research them, read their work and tailor your letter to them. Don't worry about the others, if you aren't interested in their work, you don't want to work with them anyway. (Sounds like you may already be doing this, if I read your OP correctly)

3) Frame your experience in terms of your chosen professors work.

When I applied and got in, I was completely naive about how off the map my background was (all practical, non-academic, non-theoretical-but I could still think!). I was interested in one specific professor's work and I wrote my letter as a response to that work, and framed my experience within that context. It seemed to me to make sense and I found out much later that the letter leapt out at him. I didn't specify him by name just talked about our common ground and what I could bring to the table. I was different from all the other students he worked with, BUT I showed that I understood where he was going and that I would bring a unique perspective that would add depth to his work.

Go for it - those odds are not all that long.:)

Scotia

Very helpful! Thank you!