Menu

Can you share your vegetarian kid-lunch ideas?

I am gradually cutting meat out of our diets. My boys like fruit and vegetables and don't expect meat with a meal, but lunch is tricky for us somehow.

I'm hoping some of you can share your favorite lunch ideas. I'd love to serve quick, easy lunches that have a lot of nutrition.

We do a lot of hummus with crackers, carrots, and cucumbers.

Today will be grapes, Ants on a Log (with almond instead of peanut butter), a green smoothie and some gluten free chocolate cake (leftover).

DD also loves cold taco salad (with black beans instead of meat).

A great place for ideas is http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/ I also get a lot of ideas from muffin tin lunches, or Bentos.

Edited: link name.

Edited by Nicoleandco
corrected link

Not veggies, but appreciative omnivores who like everything lol-- but some of the things I've packed/prepared for the kids (or they prepare themselves):

I'm assuming dairy is ok at this point?

*Big salad with some protein or fat- avocado, garbanzo beans, cheese. We have a little screw top meatal container so the person can dress the salad when they are ready if traveling.

*Pumpkin seeds or cashews etc

*Bean Burrito

*Scrambled eggs

*Veggie burritos

*Leftover quiche or frittata

*Enchiladas with cheese, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes

*Hummus w/veggies, pita or corn chips

*Veggie stir fry noodles or rice leftovers

*Udon or other noodles tossed olive oil, red pepper flakes, tamari, peanuts (cant take this everywhere- or leave out the nuts and do tofu)

* Bagel and cream cheese

*Cous cous (or millet or quinoa) with curried (or not) sauteed veggies

*Egg salad or hardboiled eggs.

*Veggie soup or stew leftovers

*Almond butter on bread

*Veggie rollups- put a thin layer of ricotta cheese with a little olive oil on the bread first, then roasted peppers and/ or other veggies, lettuce etc

*Caprese Salad- thick slices of tomato with mozzerella slices, olive oil, salt, pepper etc

*Grilled cheese

*Pita or bagel pizza

Edited by LibraryLover

We're not vegetarian buy my 8 year old is not a big meat fan.

He eats:

*some mixture of nuts, seeds, cheese along with fruit, veggies, crackers

*muffins with some of the above

*soup

*cold sesame noodles (like peanut butter noodles)

*cheese tortilla roll up

*cold bean salad (roasted corn and black bean salad for instance)

I couldn't get that link to work, but found it at:

http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/ (for anyone else who is interested).

Love the blog name & it looks like there are lots of great food ideas there! Thanks! :001_smile:

What an amazing site! I'll be spending some time there tonight. I got hungry just looking at the photos.

My son usually either eats left-overs or makes himself something simple like pasta with tomato sauce. (I try to make extra sauce and stash it in the fridge or freezer so he has it available.) In terms of left-overs, favorites are the aforementioned pasta, Indian food (especially veggie samosas) and anything involving potatoes.

Lunch isn't really a big meal here, though. So, sometimes he just makes himself a plate of snacks--pretzels, fruit, etc.--and drinks a glass of soy milk.

We eat a lot of soups and (bean) chili during fall and winter.

We also like tempeh, which is versatile: bakes, fried, steamed, grilled. My husband (meat-eater) will eat grilled tempeh paninis, and it's an easy dish to make people who visit our (veg*n) home; popular with guests, too, who think they don't like soybeans. Fast, filling, and good.

My standard lunch dish is rice with veggies -both steamed- plus a side veggie. Today we had steamed broccoli florets and carrot medallions topped with sesame seeds, served over hot rice, and a side of sauteed snow peas with sliced bell peppers (just toss in a bit of sesame oil and a bit of minced garlic). One kid likes it just like this; the other kid likes sauce. Sauce is usually something easy, like teriyaki or tamari or even just a quick sauce of water or wine and whatever mixed bits of veggies are stuck to the sauteed veggie pan.

Other lunches include baked potatoes (topped with steamed veggies), bruschetta, potato and onion pierogies, veggie shumai, homemade corn chips with fresh salsa, fried noodles -google bakmi goreng for good recipes- with chopped veggies, stuffed bell peppers, spaghetti squash with chopped tomatoes, stuffed bell peppers, roasted veggies with rice, and various rice/bean mixtures. Those are all pretty easy if you're good about managing prep time, but most will also freeze well if made in advance.

We don't use dairy, either, but if you don't mind then many Mexican and Italian dishes could be easy to adapt to your new dietary restrictions. Some of those would include lasagna, pasta primavera, bean and cheese nachos, quesadillas, mac and cheese, veggie enchiladas/tostadas -use beans-, veggie/veggie-bean stews, veggie pot pies. Most of these are easy enough, but all will freeze well if made ahead.