Menu

My daughter just completed her 2nd week of semester-abroad in Senegal, W. Africa.

J-rap

It is extremely hot and muggy, she sleeps under a mosquito net, washes her clothes by hand, sleeps in 90 degree heat with her long pants on -- otherwise it would be considered indecent (as opposed to thin summer pajamas), and eats fish and rice every meal. AC is unheard of, and fans only run part of the time because electricity is off half of every day. She takes a hot, crowded city bus 1/2 hour to school every day where people are hanging out the windows and off the roof in order to fit. All of her courses are in French. The bathroom has no light, the Turkish toilet doubles as the shower, a goat bleats next to her while she washes up, and the mosque next-door plays prayers over the loudspeaker off and on 24 hours/day. She thoroughly enjoys it. (I hope her attitude keeps up! :))

It is extremely hot and muggy, she sleeps under a mosquito net, washes her clothes by hand, sleeps in 90 degree heat with her long pants on -- otherwise it would be considered indecent (as opposed to thin summer pajamas), and eats fish and rice every meal. AC is unheard of, and fans only run part of the time because electricity is off half of every day. She takes a hot, crowded city bus 1/2 hour to school every day where people are hanging out the windows and off the roof in order to fit. All of her courses are in French. The bathroom has no light, the Turkish toilet doubles as the shower, a goat bleats next to her while she washes up, and the mosque next-door plays prayers over the loudspeaker off and on 24 hours/day. She thoroughly enjoys it. (I hope her attitude keeps up! :))

Oh, how exciting! It always amazes me what youth will endure for an adventure. This is one of the reasons I'm trying to encourage my boys to do things of this sort while they are young - they may never have another chance. I'm such a wimp now that I'm older. I remember the days, though, when heat didn't bother me and food was really just something that I needed (rather than wanted). . So glad your daughter has a good attitude and is having fun. She's making memories :D

Yes, she is certainly making amazing memories! I'm really excited for her. Strider, she is in Dakar, with the study abroad program called CIEE. They share facilities with another school called L’Insitut Supérieur de Droit de Dakar. And Stripe -- you're right about Ramadan. Things should be a little quieter now that Ramadan has ended. :)