Menu

Well Trained Knitters

Well... In my world, all wool - including cashmere - is technically machine washable. I just wash it on the delicate or hand-wash cycle in my front loader, then dry it on the rack in the dryer on low heat or air after I squeeze most of the moisture out in a towel.

I'm not a big fan of superwash wool, but Plymouth Encore is a wool/acrylic blend than knits up pretty nicely and doesn't feel too creepy when wet. (wet acrylic is like nails on a chalkboard to me)

I've made/seen hats made with a range of acrylics, even Red Heart Super Saver and after a trip through the washer and dryer they generally soften up very nicely. A blend like Wool-Ease might be ideal.

I do favour acrylic for gifts for most people that are going to be machine washable because chances are that unless they're very wool-aware, if they toss it into the washer it will get into the dryer and that's where wool (like the lovely wool socks I knit DH last year :() generally gets hurt.

I agree with Angela about wet acrylic but heck, that's what dryers are for. :D

I use the knit picks Superwash wool and really like the feel and drape. It is considered machine washable/dryable, but I have found that it tends to "pill" in the machine. I tend to handwash it to avoid pilling, but maybe a machine wash gentle, and a line dry would work. If you are not absolutlely set on wool (which I love) there are a lot of nice acrylic/blends available that wash up fine--go squeeze a few at you local yarn store!

I like how Cascade 220 Superwash felt while I was knitting it. I haven't used it in the washer yet (I made a bag out of it that i might disassemble), but I know that (generally speaking) superwash wool WANTS to go in the dryer. It needs that to spring back to shape. Otherwise you can end up with droopy garments.

I started using "I love this yarn" from Hobby Lobby. I must say that I love it's thickness and softness. It is very machine wash friendly.

It's all acrylic, right? I keep hearing about that yarn but I don't think we have Hobby Lobby up here in Canuckistan. There are a lot of really nice acrylics out there though! I made a baby blanket out of Bernat Softee Chunky and it was wonderfully soft when I pulled it outof the dryer!

I am a total yarn snob and normally can't even bear the thought of acrylic BUT this stuff right here is wonderfully soft and makes everything else feel like twine. I'm actually sad that it has been discontinued. :(

Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino is another nice yarn that is superwash and feels very soft. You can find it a little cheaper at other online stores, too.

Basically, anything that has some cashmere will be super soft. Do you have any local yarn stores - NOT Joann's or Michael's - where you live? They should be able to help you find something nice. Most itchy wool is the cheapie, stinky kind that is sold at big box stores. PLEASE stay far, far away from that type of yarn! :)

I am so getting rid of this childish coffee blend.

I kept wondering as I saw this thread title:

"What? You can't *train* a kitten..what kind of stuff is this?...Ah man, probably one of these ladies has trained a kitten..are they talking about litter boxes or something..what in the world...Geez, there's probably a book called the WTK..I better go see."

lol

Stupid coffee.

I am a total yarn snob and normally can't even bear the thought of acrylic BUT this stuff right here is wonderfully soft and makes everything else feel like twine. I'm actually sad that it has been discontinued. :(

I used to think wool was awful and stayed away from it. And then I tried Patons SWS and some Fleece Artist Merino lace and, my favourite, the scratchy and wooly-smelling Briggs and Little Tuffy:001_wub:. I began to realize that wool wasn't one kind of fibre but that there was a HUGE range of wool that had all kinds of different attributes.

Acrylic is the same. I've got some Phentex in the basement that I got at a yard sale that I really, really don't want to knit with. :( But I've got some I found in a mill end bag that's like a super-soft roving yarn in a glorious shade of silver.

There are some basic properties to fibres that don't change, no matter how wonderful the acrylic I won't be knitting diaper covers from it for instance but aside from that both option are tremendously diverse.

I love knitting. :D

It's all acrylic, right? I keep hearing about that yarn but I don't think we have Hobby Lobby up here in Canuckistan. There are a lot of really nice acrylics out there though! I made a baby blanket out of Bernat Softee Chunky and it was wonderfully soft when I pulled it outof the dryer!

Yes, it is. I love the price and quality for a synthetic. I was doubtful, but wow ... not your normal worsted weight synthetic.

;) I could always send you a swatch if you can't find a store.

This is what I am using to make shaws for Mrs Mungo. It is super soft, and easy to care for (prep drop LOL).

"What? You can't *train* a kitten..what kind of stuff is this?...Ah man, probably one of these ladies has trained a kitten..are they talking about litter boxes or something..what in the world...Geez, there's probably a book called the WTK..I better go see."

lol

Stupid coffee.

:lol: I needed this today! I think you might consider a darker roast blend.

Yes, it is. I love the price and quality for a synthetic. I was doubtful, but wow ... not your normal worsted weight synthetic.

;) I could always send you a swatch if you can't find a store.

This is what I am using to make shaws for Mrs Mungo. It is super soft, and easy to care for (prep drop LOL).

I love acrylic for shawls and lace. Kill the yarn and you get nice drape and never need to block again!

lol

Stupid coffee.

LOL. And...whew! I am so glad I'm not the only one that kept seeing Well Trained Kittens. Except my next thought was....

Kittens who punctuate properly.

:lol:

Cat