Menu

Math help for "behind" 13yo please?

We have tried so many math curriculums for this child over the years. He did well up until the more advanced concepts in fractions, dec. and percents. He seems to be "stuck". Taking a break over the summer didn't help either. :glare: He has "forgotten" how to add fractions, mixed numbers and doesn't "get" decimals at all really. He is way behind where he should be math-wise. A bit of his history: He has used K12 math, Saxon, Singpapore, MUS and then back to Saxon and now he is using Life of Fred Dec/Perc. He likes LoF but I don't think it gives him enough review. I have Key to Decimals and Fractions that I could use for reinforcement but I wonder if that is enough or if I should try a new program altogether? I can't afford TT, he doesn't want to go back to MUS and so I am just stumped. He wants to attend brick and mortar school for high school and my fear is that he will not be where he needs to be for even placement in Alg. 1. :confused: Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Are you working through Life of Fred with him? That has helped my ds (12).

I recently remembered how I started "talking through" math problems with friends in 7th grade. We'd easily spend an hour a night going over math homework on the phone. I learned so much that year.

Perhaps talking through the problems would help your ds. I think with that and some extra problems from the Key To series you should be able to get him up to speed. Also, make sure he knows his math facts.

I'd get the single topic books/downloads from math mammoth on those topics. I find them to be very good at teaching the concepts behind things, and helping them understand what they are doing. Plus, they are cheap :)

http://www.mathmammoth.com/blue-series.php

Scroll down a bit and you will see the fraction and decimal worktexts. I'd start with Fractions 1 or decimals 1, and go through at his own pace. Oh, and do NOT try to do all the problems. It is designed so you do about half the problems, say all the odd number ones. Then if they did those well, move on. If they struggled review the topic and go back and do the even numbered problems the next day. She never meant for you to do all of them in one day.

And they are only $4.00 each, and you can download them instantly to start work on them :)

We have tried so many math curriculums for this child over the years. He did well up until the more advanced concepts in fractions, dec. and percents. He seems to be "stuck". Taking a break over the summer didn't help either. :glare: He has "forgotten" how to add fractions, mixed numbers and doesn't "get" decimals at all really. He is way behind where he should be math-wise. A bit of his history: He has used K12 math, Saxon, Singpapore, MUS and then back to Saxon and now he is using Life of Fred Dec/Perc. He likes LoF but I don't think it gives him enough review. I have Key to Decimals and Fractions that I could use for reinforcement but I wonder if that is enough or if I should try a new program altogether? I can't afford TT, he doesn't want to go back to MUS and so I am just stumped. He wants to attend brick and mortar school for high school and my fear is that he will not be where he needs to be for even placement in Alg. 1. :confused: Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Key To could be enough, especially if used in addition to LOF. There is always Developmental Math, but you should probably use what you already have. There may be a book or two you could use at some point, but you would need to search it out.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content/?page=1192562&sp=1016

Khan Academy. Free, and as much practice as you need.

Most kids who struggle with frac/dec/percent are going to need a visual. You can buy tiles and such or print them out. If you print them, make sure sizes match, b/c you want him to visually compare 1/2 to .5 to 50%.

google words like "printable fraction strips" "printable fraction decimal percent" and so on.

You will want strips to compare, and also a chart that shows varying amounts expressed as a fraction, decimal, and percent.

Check your library for highly visual math books, probably in the juvenile section.

You mentioned a lot of books/curricula. Have you looked at any of the fraction/decimal/percent manipulatives from Learning Resources and/or Delta Math?

http://www.learningresources.com/category/teachers/shop+by+subject/math/product+category/fraction%2C+decimals+-+percents.do?sortby=best

http://www.delta-education.com/advsearch.aspx

and of course RR. A number of manipulative sets have books that go with them. Might just be another approach.