Menu

Flank Steak - feeling stupid here

Most of the recipes I have found online say to marinate it first. I don't have time to marinate it.

I bought this particular steak because it was on sale - I do not have much experience with steak of any kind.

This was a BOGO deal so I already cooked the first one on the grill and it turned out tough as shoe leather.

I bought a grill pan at Aldi the other day ($14!!!) and thought I'd try the second one on it. I've never cooked anything on a grill pan.

The recipes also say to cut against the grain. I've never been able to figure that out. What exactly does that mean? How do you know what the grain is anyway? I'm mystified here.

OK, what I want is a recipe for flank steak that can be cooked on a grill pan (although I'm open to other ideas as long as it doesn't include marinating or cooking it on the charcoal grill) and doesn't need marinating and will not turn out like shoe leather.

Going to help Ds15 with algebra - will check back in a few. Thanks!

:bigear:

ETA: One more thing - most of the recipes (maybe all, not sure) say to cook it to medium rare. The pictures show red meat. I'm used to eating my meat cooked all the way through. I'm worried it will not be safe if I don't cook it all the way through. Now what?

Edited by Kathleen in VA

When I've made this, I've scored it in a diamond-pattern. So, let's say the steak is in front of you in a horizontal orientation. Score the meat diagonally rightward and then diagonally leftward, in a diamond pattern. You really should marinate it. Cutting across the grain means that you are cutting it with the knife perpendicular to the horizontal length of the meat. Is that clear?

The reason to marinate it and not cook it well-done is (as you've noticed) it is very stringy meat. In the future, one good way to handle it is to score the meat and put a marinade in there, then freeze it. When you want to use it, let it thaw and it will marinate while it thaws.

HTH.

Flank steak is one of the few cuts of steak I don't screw up. :tongue_smilie: I usually do it in a regular iron skillet, not my grill pan, just a few minutes per side on medium high. Even 10 minutes marinating makes a big difference. I like to squeeze a lime into a ziploc, add a glug of olive oil, a bit of minced garlic, and a sprinkle of pepper.

If you look closely at the meat you will see faint stripes in it. They can sort of look every-which-way, but if you look closely you'll get the general impression that they're mostly vertical or mostly horizontal. That's "the grain." Cutting against the grain means cutting perpendicular to those lines, which are muscle fibers.

You will certainly have shoe leather if you don't marinate flank steak and cook it to well done. And possibly even if you do marinate it and cook it to well done. Medium-rare meat which is fresh and bought from a reputable source is not at all likely to make you sick.

If I were you, I would slice the steak thinly against the grain and stir-fry it quickly at a high temperature, so that it's seared on the outside and pink in the middle.

Wack it with a tenderizing mallet and soak it in lime juice and mexican spices

Throw on grill

I don't think you can avoid marinating flank steak WHILE cooking it to well done and NOT get shoe leather. I don't usually buy flank steak since it is more expensive here than sirloin. :/

Edited by Sis

This was a BOGO deal so I already cooked the first one on the grill and it turned out tough as shoe leather.

Yeah, I wouldn't grill it as it is a tougher cut of beef.

I bought a grill pan at Aldi the other day ($14!!!) and thought I'd try the second one on it. I've never cooked anything on a grill pan.

Were it me, I'd save the grill pan for another day. With flank steak I'd cut it thin and stir-fry it.

The recipes also say to cut against the grain. I've never been able to figure that out. What exactly does that mean? How do you know what the grain is anyway? I'm mystified here.

If you look closely at your piece of meat, you'll see the fibers all line up in the same direction similar to how fabric has a grain. Hold your knife at a 90* angle to the fibers to slice. In other words like the fibers up east-west and cut north-south.

OK, what I want is a recipe for flank steak that can be cooked on a grill pan (although I'm open to other ideas as long as it doesn't include marinating or cooking it on the charcoal grill) and doesn't need marinating and will not turn out like shoe leather.

Stir-fry, beef and brocoli, fajitas.

ETA: One more thing - most of the recipes (maybe all, not sure) say to cook it to medium rare. The pictures show red meat. I'm used to eating my meat cooked all the way through. I'm worried it will not be safe if I don't cook it all the way through. Now what?

It will just be a bit tough if you cook it all the way through. I don't like anything less than medium well so I can't vouch for anything cooked less than that.

Flank steak is tough if you cook it all the way through, unless you stew it, and it's way too expensive to be stew meat! (Stewing means cooking in liquid to submerge it, and serving it in the liquid.) (ETA: It IS great as a stir fry ingredient, though.)

I sometimes marinate it, but not usually. Usually I make Steak Au Poivre Vert with it. First you trim off the visible fat. Then you saute it over medium high heat in a mix of butter and olive oil for about 8 minutes--5 on the first side, and 3-4 on the other. Then you turn off the flame (very important safety measure!) and make sure there is no other flame or fan on (another very important safety measure) and pour into the pan 3/4 cup of good brandy. Light this on fire and shake it around until the flames go out. (Light it from the side. The alcohol in the brandy vaporizes as soon as it hits the hot pan, and you don't want to burn yourself.) Once the flames go out, take out the steak and put it in a warm over on a big platter. It will give off juices that are good in the gravy.

Saute 2 chopped up shallots and add to the brandy mixture in the saute pan. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of cream, 3 T mustard, 1 T green peppercorns, rinsed, and 2 tsp dried tarragon. Mix thoroughly (I use a whisk), and heat until shiny bubbles form, stirring constantly. This is the best gravy in the universe, bar none. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain, put it in a platter sized serving dish with sides (a big quiche pan is good for this, or a deepish oval platter), pour the gravy over it decoratively, and serve immediately, with the remaining gravy in a gravy boat.

I have never known anyone not to overeat when presented with this dish. It is SO GOOD. The gravy is also great with rice pilaf. If you have leftovers, which is unlikely, you can put the gravy and meat together in a pot, add a little beef broth to make it thinner and juicier, cook it until the meat is well done, and use it for the best burrito meat in the world.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I've made this recipe from the cooking channel a few times. I use a flank steak instead of london broil, and tie it with string instead of skewers to keep the filling inside and make it easier to handle. I did have to cook it for longer than stated in the recipe, maybe 5-10 minutes more for medium/medium-well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/steak-involtini-recipe2/index.html

It isn't going to melt in your mouth, but even my "I hate to chew meat" kid eats this.

Flank is best medium to rare. Slice very thinly for the best results. I just season mine most of the time (no marinade). If you need it well done, it is good in the crockpot. It shreds really nicely after slow cooking.

Flank is best medium to rare. Slice very thinly for the best results. I just season mine most of the time (no marinade). If you need it well done, it is good in the crockpot. It shreds really nicely after slow cooking.

Never thought of the crock pot - I'll make a note of that. I'd much rather use the crock pot, especially during the school year. Thanks.:)