Menu

What are your favorite poems for memorization?

For the younger ages, poems by Robert Louis Stevenson are good. If you want something humorous, take a look at A.A. Milne's poems (the author of Winnie the Pooh). If you have a child that's into baseball, Casey at the Bat is a good poem to memorize (although it is lengthy).

Being from new england I love Robert Frost poems. That sure helped me in my Comp 2 class I just had, there were several references to his work and saved me a few times becomes I was very familiar with his work.

I can still recite Christmas in India (Kipling), Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight, Strictly Germproof (funny), several famous Frost, The Convergence of the Twain, some AE Houseman, Paul Revere's Ride and In Praise of Limestone. When we were very little, we all learned Little Boy Blue ("what has become of our little boy blue since he kissed them and put them there") and told it most howlingly mournful. My brother used to weep through it. We learned it off of a 45 with a lone violin carrying on in the background. Those are the ones that stuck with me.

I also learned ( from an 1890's book on care of the horse) a poem to remember how the teeth come in on a horse, so as to tell its age. Oh, my long-suffering parents!

THE AGE OF A HORSE

To tell the age of any horse

Inspect the lower jaw of course;

The six front teeth the tale will tell,

And every doubt and fear dispel.

Two middle nippers you behold

Before the colt is two weeks old;

Before eight weeks two more will come

Eight months: the corners cut the gum.

At two the middle "Nippers" drop:

At three the second pair can't stop;

When four years old the third pair goes,

At five a full new set he shows.

The deep black spots will pass from view

At six years from the middle two;

The second pair at seven years;

At eight the spot each corner clears.

From the middle "Nippers" upper jaw

At nine the black spots will withdraw.

The second pair at ten are bright;

Eleven finds the corners light.

As time goes on the horsemen know

The oval teeth three-sided grow;

Then longer get - project before -

Till twenty, when they know no more."

My son loved The Walrus and the Carpenter. I think we'll do the jabberwocky next... I also want him to learn Charge of the Light Brigade and O Captain My Captain... I've always loved that one... and The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.

There are just so many. There is an old book called Poems Every Child Should Know that of course is a fountain.

My favoritist poem ever is:

TREES

I think that I shall never see

A poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer

(and therefore, of course, I love to have children memorize it too)

I'm sure your son is probably too old for it now...

I memorized a poem as a kid, but I didn't quite memorize the title (lol). It was something like, "O Captain, My Captain".

Can you tell I'm fishing for my 50 posts so I can put something up for sale? :001_smile:

Brenda

I memorized a poem as a kid, but I didn't quite memorize the title (lol). It was something like, "O Captain, My Captain".

Can you tell I'm fishing for my 50 posts so I can put something up for sale? :001_smile:

Brenda

You remembered the title correctly :D. The poem was written by Walt Whitman after Abraham Lincoln's assassination. It certainly is a great poem to memorize.

FWIW, I find that my kids (ages 9 and 6) don't tend to "get" poetry that's too complex. It has to be somewhat obvious or silly. They both like it though. They both take pride in the ones they've memorized. Just not ready for too many complicated allusions and analogies.

The book I mentioned in the title has a bunch of poems from famous authors, and I sometimes wonder if SWB has this book, b/c (among many others- 100 in total) it contains The Caterpillar, A Tragic Story, Mr. Nobody, The Months, The Daffodils, and few by Sara Coleridge (who I believe helped with the writings of FLL?) - all of which are used in FFL or FFL3. It's a great reference book for poetry. We've also used it for writing dictation and copy work.

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA

I often used to have my son memorize poetry. He especially enjoyed Bible, silly or historical poems. Sadly, we have gotten away from doing memorization of poetry. I am planning to restart this today. What are your favorite poems for memorization?

You might want to see a thread on the high school board and check out the website mentioned in the first post.

Jane

Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll (check the librivox.org recordings by Alan Davis Drake)

Daddy Fell Into the Pond by Alfred Noyes

Godfrey Gorden Gustavus Gore by William Brighty Rands

The Duke of Plaza-Toro by W. S. Gilbert

From a Railway Carriage by Robert Lewis Stephenson

Rebecca, who Slammed Doors For Fun and Perished Miserable by Hilaire Belloc

The Yak by Hilaire Belloc

Jonathan Bing by Beatruce Curtis Brown

The Swan and the Goose, by William Ellory Leonard

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Most of these re from Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization.

The one we HATED - Trees, by Joyce Kilmer.

Try to borrow a copy of Committed to Memory / 100 Best Poems to Memorize

edited by John Hollander. It has all the standards in one nice paperback.

My kids have memorized many pieces over the years, starting with RLStevenson stuff when they were little, Jabberwocky, and most recently my 14yo did the whole "To be or not to be" for Shakespeare class.

A sampling from Hollander's list:

Keats: On first looking into Chapman's Homer

Lazarus: The new colossus

Shelley: Ozymandias

Blake: And did those feet

Emerson: Concord Hymn

Hopkins: Pied Beauty

Tennyson: The splendor falls

Housman: To an athlete dying young

Whitman: A noiseless spider

O, my soul!