Menu

? about MCT Poetry

SnegurochkaL

Hi, I need an advice on MCT Poetry. I am going to use MCT Island books with my 9 years old daughter this year. I have everything, but a Music of Hemisphere book. Is it possible to skip poetry book for Island level and do poetry with Town level? Will we miss a lot by skipping Island level poetry book.

I think we will be doing Town level this coming spring or earlier. Thanks.

Hi, I need an advice on MCT Poetry. I am going to use MCT Island books with my 9 years old daughter this year. I have everything, but a Music of Hemisphere book. Is it possible to skip poetry book for Island level and do poetry with Town level? Will we miss a lot by skipping Island level poetry book.

Of course it's possible to skip the MCT poetry book. It's wonderful -- but your dc will have plenty of meat to chew on with the other Island level books.

What are your reasons for skipping it? Time, money, interest? We incorporate poetry in our day in many ways. MOTH is not the best poetry resource out there, imho. Poetry memorization has been central to our LA regiment.

Just a thought...

Of course it's possible to skip the MCT poetry book. It's wonderful -- but your dc will have plenty of meat to chew on with the other Island level books.

What are your reasons for skipping it? Time, money, interest? We incorporate poetry in our day in many ways. MOTH is not the best poetry resource out there, imho. Poetry memorization has been central to our LA regiment.

Just a thought...

Would you mind sharing which poetry resources you like better? Thanks!

DO NOT skip it! The poetry books are divine.

You *could* skip it and still complete the rest of the books (with some confusing moments here and there when various poetic devices are pointed out) . . . but, man, it'd be like having a banana split without the bananas. Just not the same.

DO NOT skip it! The poetry books are divine.

You *could* skip it and still complete the rest of the books (with some confusing moments here and there when various poetic devices are pointed out) . . . but, man, it'd be like having a banana split without the bananas. Just not the same.

:iagree:

I have not seen books on poetics for children that even remotely compare to the ones from MCT.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I have no opinion on the merits of MOTH as I don't own the "island" level yet (my DD started with "town" and my DS is still working through FLL 1/2).

That said, I do think that Building Poems is do-able by a bright child who hasn't had any previous exposure to poetry analysis. Some of the information in BP *is* very advanced- it included terms covered in my high school honors English class and a few terms I'd never before seen.

The more advanced stuff I'm pretty sure went in one ear and out the other, so I'm planning doing a refresher of certain BP chapters when we hit the corresponding topics in Figuratively Speaking.

If you can't get your hands on a reasonably priced copy of MOTH, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Hi, Thanks for your advices. I appreciate you taking your time answering my question. I am trying to justify myself into purchasing a new copy but can not decide on it. I have tried to find a used copy of MOTH, but haven't succeeded so far.

That said, I do think that Building Poems is do-able by a bright child who hasn't had any previous exposure to poetry analysis. Some of the information in BP *is* very advanced- it included terms covered in my high school honors English class and a few terms I'd never before seen.

The more advanced stuff I'm pretty sure went in one ear and out the other, so I'm planning doing a refresher of certain BP chapters when we hit the corresponding topics in Figuratively Speaking.

If you can't get your hands on a reasonably priced copy of MOTH, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

My daughter had a lot of experience memorizing poetry, but not analyzing it.

This year she is going to do MCT and Classical Writing together. Part of her Classical Writing curriculum envolves studying poetry : Poetry for Beginners , which is built on imitation of authors styles, writing essays, analyzing given poetry etc.

For those of you who have both or use both( MOTH and Building Poems), how much of MOTH topics are reviewed by Building Poems book?

Edited by SneguochkaL