Menu

Are memorizing spelling rules that important?

Like PPs said depends on the kid. My DS needs to memorize the rules(trouble with that too!), can't spell worth a darn. DD is a natural speller and has no trouble remembering the rules. She can "just tell" when it's wrong. I'm a combination, I can usually tell if a word is spelled wrong but can't figure out 1/2 the time what is the right spelling.

Please share your opinions so I can decide on a program. :)

I have written a novel's worth of posts about spelling on the forum. :tongue_smilie:

My kids all learn all of the phonics rules (the rules are more phonics rules than spelling rules) b/c that is how I teach reading. Some of my kids translate those rules into spelling very well (however they tend to simply be natural spellers anyway). Some of my kids are actually hindered by the rules.

Why? B/c the rules only "work" when you know which phonograms you need to use to spell words. You cannot rule your way into the correct phonogram the majority of the time. (for example, why is tough spelled w/ough but cuff isn't and cough is. You can learn the phonogram sounds, but there isn't a rule for every spelling option. If there were that many rules, it would simply be easier to memorize the correct spelling!)

So, it really depends on how your child learns and whether they will try to rely on the rules vs. knowing how to apply them generally.)

Thank you. I may have another natural speller and a 'can't spell herself out of a boot' speller...so I may have to get 2 programs this year...:tongue_smilie:

If these are your 12 and 13 yo, you may consider dropping the spelling program for the natural speller. At this point, my natural spellers just keep a list of words they misspell in their writing. My one "can't spell himself out of a boot" guy continues to work on spelling even though he is 16.

Thank you. I may have another natural speller and a 'can't spell herself out of a boot' speller...so I may have to get 2 programs this year...:tongue_smilie:

You might want to look into EPS' How to Teach Spelling for your student who needs the rules. It's supposed to be like AAS only in a workbook format and with fewer levels.

I'd agree with the PP who said that a 12 or 13 y.o. "natural speller" doesn't need a formal program.

I was a natural reader and speller. I forged ahead quickly for many years just by memorizing the way words looked. Then I stalled out and made no more progress. I didn't really realize how hindered I was because almost everyone around me had stalled out at an even lower level.

In my 40s now I am going back and learning phonics and the spelling rules and have started making progress again.

My boys are grown and no longer homeschooling, but if they ask my opinion when the grandkids come along, I'll push phonics and rules based spelling to them.

Ladies, you've all been super helpful! I sat the girls down and discussed their possibilities for spelling because they love to give input. They both voted a hearty *NO* for Phonetic Zoo. We decided to do a blending of Spelling Wisdom (what they did last year) and a page a day from Apples II for a simple coverage of the rules. For some reason, they both love workbooks...they provide some 'proof' that they are actually accomplishing something. :D I'll also put more emphasis in their writing assignments and keep them watching for the mistakes they make in their papers. We'll see how things go...by Christmas I may have morphed the plan. I am such a rebel. ;)

Edited by Blueridge

I think they are important. I'd be lost without "i before e except after c" and my dd, even while she is able to recite this and explain it to me, consistently misspells "receive." On second thought, maybe they don't do much good!

I know that I went through a period as a tween, when I often didn't care if my spelling and grammar were correct. There were some rules I could repeat back, but had not truly mastered the rule where it came automatically and effortlessly. When I CARED about a piece a writing, I had memorized some rules that I WOULD apply, that I usually didn't.