Menu

Trains

Their first "big set" was Melissa and Doug. He also has Imaginarium and Thomas brand, and they are all compatible.

When DS is building bridges and hills, he gravitates toward the Thomas brand. The blocks and hills on the Thomas set are sturdier and wider, hence easier to use. I don't notice a huge quality difference in the "flat" pieces though. None of the tracks have visible brand names.

My oldest is a train lover. Brio can be just as expensive as the Thomas trains, but they aren't branded. He says the new Chuggington wooden trains are also compatible (but, again, they are branded, and just as expensive.)

Melissa & Doug trains are also compatible (though we don't have any of these), as are the trains at IKEA. (Though the connection on the IKEA tracks can be a little snug when attached to the other tracks. My son says especially when attached to the other non-branded tracks.)

He also has a smaller version of this set from Target, and it's completely compatible. (He is reading over my shoulder and insisted that I add "completely" before "compatible.") He says it's this one, though we got it at Target.

He's even got some of these "Name Trains" alphabet pieces, though the wheels fell off right away.

One advantage of the Thomas tracks is that they are scored inside the grooves. If you have a battery operated train, this does help the train not jump the track, especially on curves and hills.

Lots of options, really.

Edited by Maus
added extra info

Thank you so much for posting that. I just found out about the whittle wooden trains through that site and know exactly what I want know. I am going to go look at them tomorrow!!
Glad I stumbled across it.

There is one piece of Thomas track that I have to enthusiastically recommend as a mommy sanity saver, even if you mostly have another brand. I can't even guess how many hours I spent down on the floor trying to make my son's creations connect up ("Mommy! Fix my track! It doesn't work") before we found this. It's called Wacky Track, and it's flexible, so you can get around strange corners. I haven't seen anything similar from any of the other manufacturers.