Menu

Has your child memorized the Magna Carta?

HeidiKC

Has your child memorized the Magna Carta?!  

1. 1. Has your child memorized the Magna Carta?!

• Yes, he/she committed it to memory!
    • We got through a pretty good chunk of it (half or so).
    • We tried, but gave up!
    • Are you crazy?
    • What is the Magna Carta?
    • Other

I will be so impressed if anyone has done this! For anyone whose child was successful with this, I'd love to hear how it went: how long did it take, was it fun or tortuous, are you glad dc did it, etc.!

Thanks!

ETA: I'm not actually considering doing this, just very curious as to whether ANYONE has and how they did it!

Edited by HeidiKC

I have no idea why this would be critical to my child's education. There are many other things that I consider of much more pressing value.

I do not consider a person without the Magna Carta of all things, to be poorly educated.

Why not memorize Euclid's Elements, for crying out loud?

I voted, "Are you crazy?" but we have been to see it and ds bought a reproduction. I have no idea if he still has it, but he certainly didn't memorize it. Personally I think there are more important things to memorize than the Magna Carta, but if we manage to get all those other things memorized, then we'll deal with it. Of course, I think it would take a lot longer than the standard 12 years of school to memorize all the things that are higher on the list. :001_smile:

I voted "other" because it never really occurred to me to have them memorize it. It's not out of the realm of possiblity, at least not certain parts. I'm reading "1215: The Year of Magna Carta" right now. I of course, had a pretty horrible education and never learned about the Magna Carta in school, so I'm trying to figure it all out right now.

I voted "other" because it never really occurred to me to have them memorize it. It's not out of the realm of possiblity, at least not certain parts. I'm reading "1215: The Year of Magna Carta" right now. I of course, had a pretty horrible education and never learned about the Magna Carta in school, so I'm trying to figure it all out right now.

Nope, never would have occurred to me, either. But TWTM suggests 6th graders memorize it! That is SO far down on my list of things I'd want them to memorize I can't even reach it!

p.s. how is the book?