Menu

S/O Struggling Homeschooling Parent Thread: Talkative dc

So, who all has the the extremely talkative/extroverted kids? Wanna vent, share stories, or just know that you're not alone?

I nearly burst out laughing when I was driving dd8 and dd4 home from somewhere about a year ago and dd8 was chattering non-stop. I mean, non. stop! Dd4 kept trying to add her 2 cents, but couldn't get more than half a word out during dd8's pauses for breath. This continued for quite awhile until dd4 became frustrated and just broke forth to share her thoughts. Dd8 immediately rounded on her for interrupting. What other choice did she have?!?!?

And the intense curiosity and pin-you-to-the-wall questions! I value an inquisitive mind. But I've been trying to train dd8 that if someone doesn't give you full information on the first or second question it probably means they really don't want to share it all with you. And YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING!!! Honest!

Is this just normal for a talkative 8-year-old?

Mama Anna

No, it isn't normal. And it gets worse.....:tongue_smilie:

Don't you dare say that!!! She just described MY 8yo!!!:willy_nilly:

Yesterday at the park I had to tell him that if a person isn't talking back with you, then they are politely letting the conversation dwindle. You should either change the subject to something they want to discuss or give them a happy, "See you another day!" He could talk on and on for-ever!!!

I have paid a certain child of mine 25 cents to finish a math worksheet without saying one. single. word. It was quite possibly the hardest thing she's ever done.

She did manage it, though. Now I'm wondering how much money I'd be out if I used this throughout the day...

:D

DD7 talks CONSTANTLY. Seriously. She literally asks hundreds of questions each day. Once she gets on a subject, she goes on and on and on.

And want to know something ironic? She has selective mutism. So the ones to get the brunt of her talks is us LOL. She won't say a word to anyone at church, homeschool group, etc. Just DH and I, DD4, my parents, and my sisters. She'll talk our ears off. :D

So, who all has the the extremely talkative/extroverted kids? Wanna vent, share stories, or just know that you're not alone?

And the intense curiosity and pin-you-to-the-wall questions! I value an inquisitive mind. But I've been trying to train dd8 that if someone doesn't give you full information on the first or second question it probably means they really don't want to share it all with you. And YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING!!! Honest!

Is this just normal for a talkative 8-year-old?

Mama Anna

Yes! I have one, except she is 7 and an only child, so guess who is the main recipient of her verbal giftedness? :D

I have paid a certain child of mine 25 cents to finish a math worksheet without saying one. single. word. It was quite possibly the hardest thing she's ever done.

She did manage it, though. Now I'm wondering how much money I'd be out if I used this throughout the day...

:D

Funny! I'm pretty certain my dd could not do it. Maybe I'll try it. :)

:lol: On a scale of 1 to 10--with 10 being "OMW, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!!!"--neither of my girls is a 10. They are both, however, solid 7s :glare: And they don't pepper me with questions. They just have ideas. LOTS of them. And they want to share all of them with me. And they want to implement all of them RIGHT NOW. And they are very analytical, so everything they see and hear is being analyzed at all times. Out loud. And they are amazed at the world around them, and they must share their amazement. WITH ME. Oh, and they bicker and boss when they're not positing, lobbying, analyzing, and sharing.

I know these are all terrific traits (well, ok, maybe not the bickering and bossing). They are smart, smart kids. But oh, what I wouldn't give for 20 straight minutes of true silence. Not the kind where I can still hear them in the next room. Complete silence!

I used to be able to turn on the radio and/or use audiobooks to gain some mental space, but now they analyze and imagine out loud right over whatever we're listening to.

I will say, though, that at least they do have each other to a certain degree. I sympathize with moms of onlies who are so very verbal!

My 7yo DS talks incessantly too. I mean, I'm a talker so I generally like conversation. But he goes on and on and on! He even talks in his sleep, and LOUDLY.

It wouldn't bother me so much except he also can't be by himself. He won't play in his room, it HAS to be the living room. He has to keep me or hubby within line of sight almost constantly. A therapist once suggested separation anxiety, but he has no problem going off without us (with a friend, vbs, etc.).

If I use the bathroom in my bedroom, he's perched on my bed waiting for me. If I walk down the hallway just to get something, he's racing down the hallway behind me. If I step outside to check the mail, he's popping out the door to watch me. And usually talking a blue streak the whole time too. He can't even sleep the whole night through without climbing into bed with us. :svengo: It's very draining.

ETA: And right about the time he finally falls asleep (10:30p on average, grrrr), my DD wants to talk. I feel like sticking a post-it on my forehead that says "CLOSED. WILL REOPEN AT 9AM." *snork*

Edited by photojenic

This thread is killing me. This has to get better as they get older right? RIGHT???

My DD was an early and precocious talker. DS only said about 12 words at 24 months so I had him evaluated and put into Early Intervention. Well, apparently it worked too well. He Never. Stops. Talking. We know where he gets it. On my dad's side of the family, my grandma's family, their last name was Foster. The people from that side LOVE to talk to anyone. My dad and grandma would talk to anyone that would talk to them. When my sisters and I find ourselves talking to random strangers we say, "it's the Foster coming out".

My saying about DS, "the Foster is strong in that one". :tongue_smilie:

When I was about 8, my father bet me that I couldn't stop talking for 5 min. I assured him I could. He timed me and I made it 1 1/2 min. :tongue_smilie:

Now that I am a mom, all 3 of my kids can talk forever. Even my oldest, the quiet one with everyone else, will talk me to death. He asks questions that make my head hurt. DD is beginning to do the same thing. The middle one talks about movie and comic characters - constantly. My father just chuckles. :D

Denise

When I was about 8, my father bet me that I couldn't stop talking for 5 min. I assured him I could. He timed me and I made it 1 1/2 min. :tongue_smilie:

We did the same thing with our oldest. He didn't even make it a minute before he tried saying whatever he could say in Spanish. We assured him that the five minutes meant ANY language and reset the timer. He couldn't do it. He grabbed a piece of paper and started writing notes to us!

We did the same thing with our oldest. He didn't even make it a minute before he tried saying whatever he could say in Spanish. We assured him that the five minutes meant ANY language and reset the timer. He couldn't do it. He grabbed a piece of paper and started writing notes to us!

:lol::lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

My ds is just like this except he doesn't talk in his sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am NOT a big conversationalist and its driving all of us nuts. How can I help him control the talking without shutting him down completely?