Menu

Earth Crunchy Question :)

I need to pick the Hive brain. :)

Over the past few years I've been working on eating healthier and eliminating junk. I pretty much got rid of all our plastic ware stuff, because of all the toxins they would leach. However, DH just bought himself a mandoline (the flat cutting thingy) and I need a way to store all the fruits and veggies that he's cutting up. (He looks like some kind of state fair huckster. lol!)

So what is the best kind of storage system with the least toxic impact? I'm trying to avoid BPA, phthalates, and PVC. I would say that 90% of the time they would be used at home, so glass is fine. However, there is a chance that DH or DD may take one with them to microwave at work/school. (We don't have a microwave at home and it is a constant source of aggravation to DD. *lol*)

Which storage system would you choose and why? TIA.....

I need to pick the Hive brain. :)

Over the past few years I've been working on eating healthier and eliminating junk. I pretty much got rid of all our plastic ware stuff, because of all the toxins they would leach. However, DH just bought himself a mandoline (the flat cutting thingy) and I need a way to store all the fruits and veggies that he's cutting up. (He looks like some kind of state fair huckster. lol!)

So what is the best kind of storage system with the least toxic impact? I'm trying to avoid BPA, phthalates, and PVC. I would say that 90% of the time they would be used at home, so glass is fine. However, there is a chance that DH or DD may take one with them to microwave at work/school. (We don't have a microwave at home and it is a constant source of aggravation to DD. *lol*)

Which storage system would you choose and why? TIA.....

Canning jars--the widemouthed pint and quart ones are great. They are stackable, hard to break, microwavable if you take the lids off, transparent, easy to label, insensitive to temperature, and cheap.

Canning jars--the widemouthed pint and quart ones are great. They are stackable, hard to break, microwavable if you take the lids off, transparent, easy to label, insensitive to temperature, and cheap.

That is a good idea! I was at a local grocery store last night and there were quite a few boxes of canning jars on clearance. My dh hates the dark green plastic containers I have because he can't see through them. You can pick up some jars at thrift stores or maybe ask on Freecycle or Craigslist.

I use an assortment of mason jars and snapware http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Glasslock-Tempered-Storage-Containers/dp/B0029U57RA for food storage.

For traveling with cut up fruits/veggies I keep some gladware around. It is lighter then glass and the toxic leaching is more a concern if you are putting hot food in or heating up food in it.

For your dh, I had a coworker who kept a plate and silverware in his desk. He transferred the food to his plate to heat it up in the microwave.

I have glass refrigerator containers-square ones-from Waluniverse. They are fairly large and stack on top of eachother. They're also Anchor-Hocking.

*love* them.

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-Bake-Store-Glass/dp/B004CT6O0A/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

that's the amazon link, but, like i said, I got mine and the Waluniverse place.

Edited by justamouse

Pyrex :) (all you had to do was ask me! LOL).

Rubbermaid has recently come out with a glassware storage line, too, and Anchor-Hocking is a lower $$ price point staple in the field.

I don't heat anything in the microwave in plastic, ever. Even BPA-free. I know it's harder for C to take things to school, but I'd just make an investment and make sure she brings it home.

Pyrex. It is more expensive but it has held up well for us. We've been using it for most of our food storage since about 2004 when we phased out most plastic.

I also use the ball freezer jars for smaller quantities. I freeze soup for my kids in those, etc. and it is almost as easy to heat up as it is from a can.

My DH has been using Pyrex for his work lunches for several years now without a problem.

Pyrex :) (all you had to do was ask me! LOL).

I need to put you on my speed dial. :D

I don't heat anything in the microwave in plastic, ever. Even BPA-free. I know it's harder for C to take things to school, but I'd just make an investment and make sure she brings it home.

She complains no matter what, so I'm not worried much about what she wants. *lol* We haven't had a microwave in 2-3 years and she STILL complains about it. She's a victim of the "On Demand" generation.

WSS

I have been slowly converting over and I love them.