Menu

Teaching Textbooks

Mercy_Me

Love it and so do my kids. Have 3 boys doing it. Although the upper levels don't have the self-correcting feature the lower levels do. I think their levels are a little off - all of my children have done 2 levels above grade level.

Love it and so do my kids. Have 3 boys doing it. Although the upper levels don't have the self-correcting feature the lower levels do. I think their levels are a little off - all of my children have done 2 levels above grade level.

I have read several reviews where the reviewer felt the program was a little behind.

Well, I feel if I would have kept my children at grade level, such as having my son do TT1 when he was in 1st grade then yes, he would be behind. TT1 was too easy. Instead he did TT3, which according to TT is more 3rd grade level. As I said they all do 2 grade levels ahead. So right now my oldest is starting 8th grade and already has Algebra 1 under his belt. They all scored extremely well on their standardized testing this year as well.

I am 43 years old, and a math failure. I have never ever ever been able to really "think math" and comprehend concepts, like percentages, ratios, fractions, pre algebra and algebraic concepts. I have failed every math class throughout my school years, starting in 3rd grade...until....

As a mom...at 41, I did these courses. You know what it did for me???

It helped me to think about how math REALLY works. I can now solve problems, and really think through it, like the really smart math people out there in the world, who I used to really believe were related to SPOCK :)..

Tonight, I was working on Dosage Calculation problems, because I am in Nursing School. My husband (with a math minor)...watched me...for a really long time. He said, I am SO glad you went through those teaching textbook programs, and we ended up taking the kids through them. It has been revolutionary for us. We did Math U See, Bob Jones, Horizons, They hated Saxon...and their was one other program, that we used that had an older gentleman teaching from a blackboard. I have seen many reviews for moms raving about that....but sometimes, I think you have to find what you really can understand/comprehend...so you can teach your children :)

One thing I might say too....is I am very Auditory, Kinestetic, and I think that is why this was a great program for me...and made it where I could really grasp the concepts...and teach them to my children ...on their level and their own learning style... ;)

I just started my 3rd grade DD on it a week ago and she LOVES the program. She's doing it at grade level and really enjoying it. I know the beginning will seem a little easy for her but the review is really helping her too. When my twin boys are in 3rd next year, I'll definitely be moving them over to TT as well. :)

Well, I feel if I would have kept my children at grade level, such as having my son do TT1 when he was in 1st grade then yes, he would be behind. TT1 was too easy. Instead he did TT3, which according to TT is more 3rd grade level. As I said they all do 2 grade levels ahead. So right now my oldest is starting 8th grade and already has Algebra 1 under his belt. They all scored extremely well on their standardized testing this year as well.

I thought the lowest level of Teaching Textbooks is TT3? :confused:

Thank you guys so much for the help. The link to the old TT thread has been immensely helpful. I have seen Chalk Dust mentioned several times. I am going to do a bit of research on that one now. We used Saxon last year..Math 3 and Math 54. The girls did fine with it, but I can not describe the loathing I have for Saxon. :glare: No program is going to be beneficial if I lack the confidence/ability to teach it.

Thank you guys so much for the help. The link to the old TT thread has been immensely helpful. I have seen Chalk Dust mentioned several times. I am going to do a bit of research on that.

My older dc used CD for prealg/alg with great success. We wanted them to have a traditional alg program to prep them for math in private high school. My next dd will use CD when the time comes. We love Prof Mosely here. We already watch a few of his video lectures as needed.

We have used TT6 and TT7, and are ready to move on to Pre-Algebra this year. My not-so-mathy kid has done really well with it, and her test scores and demonstrated understanding of math concepts have proven that it works.

I also have friends with six children that all use TT, and they are completely satisfied that it is an excellent program.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. UPDATE - I was just about ready to purchase this year's TT Pre-Algebra when I ran into another program that I think will be even better for my dd. We're going to give Saxon with DIVE cd's a try this year because I just discovered that dd has not been retaining as much math as I thought she was. I still love TT and highly recommend it though.

Edited by HSMom2One

I thought the lowest level of Teaching Textbooks is TT3? :confused:

Yes, you are so right! I have too many kids and can't keep it all straight! I'm so sorry. :oWhat I should have said is that TT3 was too easy for my 3rd grader so he started with TT 5, so then when my 1st grader was ready for Math we took the placement test and he then started at TT3 when in 1st grade.

Love.

Here's a link to a review I wrote telling why, showing our standardized test scores after one year of TT, etc:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

Thank you for the link to your review. I found it very helpful & encouraging (this coming from a mom who also is not good in math!). We will be starting TT with my son this year. I chose Math in Focus for my dd who will be in second grade (but she is a bit behind in math and will be doing 2nd semester of 1st grade MiF and 1st semester of 2nd grade of MiF). The following year, when she will be in 3rd, I will have to decide if we'll stick with MiF or start with TT 3rd.

Guest Cathmamax7

My DD in 7th grade started TT 7 on Friday and did 2 lessons because she thought it was so awesome ;-)

I know the reviews are mixed, but no one loves everything. I expect my 7th grader is going to fly through the first 1/2 of TT 7 and then will have to slow down a bit. I compared their Algebra 1 scope and sequence (updated version) to what my son did using Math U See Algebra 1 and it looked pretty close.

I'm waiting for the discs from a friend for 3rd and 5th grade.

Good luck in your decision!

Melanie

I forgot to mention that my DD that just started TT3, asked to do 2 lessons the first time she did it. She LOVES the program! Today was the first time she got a bonus round and that was really fun for her. I think we will really like TT and plan to stick with it. I've also read the good, bad and ugly about it on these boards.:001_smile:

I know the reviews are mixed, but no one loves everything.

:iagree: