Menu

Desperately need backpacks...

Want sturdy ones. Prefer not super expensive.

That main catch?

I need one of each of the following colors:

ds baby green

dd2 pink

dd4 turquoise/teal

ds6 blue

dd9 yellow

ds11 red

ds19 black

For school supplies, I am "shopping" in what we have and creating little pencil bags with necessary supplies that go in each backpack.

Baby's will have some fun activities and rotate toys.

This is so we can school at the dance academy when I work and such.

Also would like to get color matching lunch boxes (not style matching necessarily)

Budget is tight, but quality is important as I would like to get a couple/few years out of these. Some of my kids have never owned a backpack or lunch bag. :001_huh:

Thanks!

you will pay more up front but save more money in the end if you get them at a place with a guarantee. LL Bean stands behind their product and their backpacks come in a HUGE variety of colors. I think some of your colors will be difficult to find (baby green?) but if the backpack were to break, they will fix or replace it.

If you can get to a store, you can get the backpacks at a greatly discounted price. They will have another's initials on them but you can try to remove them. I don't know how it would look but you could always sew/iron a patch over the area if it was just too noticeable.

You should be able to find some bargains soon. I have never seen so many backpacks at Target or Walmart this close to the start of school. That being said I really like the quality of the LLBean backpacks. I bought the jr size for my boys to use when we travelled, which we did a lot of at the time. They held up very well for years and I believe come in all the colors you need.

you will pay more up front but save more money in the end if you get them at a place with a guarantee. LL Bean stands behind their product and their backpacks come in a HUGE variety of colors. I think some of your colors will be difficult to find (baby green?) but if the backpack were to break, they will fix or replace it.

If you can get to a store, you can get the backpacks at a greatly discounted price. They will have another's initials on them but you can try to remove them. I don't know how it would look but you could always sew/iron a patch over the area if it was just too noticeable.

Sorry...not baby green :D

The "baby" (6 months old) gets green.

Looking at theirs right now. May have to buy them in groups. But sounds like they last forever.

Don't think their is an outlet or store in MN. :(

I agree with the pp that said you will be getting deals soon! It seems like a week or 2 after school starts and they start to clearance them out! I would check Target or Sears. To be honest, my kids have Walmart backpacks (not the plastic ones though) that we bought 3 years ago and they still look as good as new. That is where they keep all their school work though so it doesn't....... er, shouldn't get lost :glare: I think they were only like $9

Sorry...not baby green :D

The "baby" (6 months old) gets green.

Looking at theirs right now. May have to buy them in groups. But sounds like they last forever.

oh holy cow am I tired. :tongue_smilie: Your baby told me he wants this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Pack-Little-Backpack/dp/B003TJ9P64/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1313805075&sr=8-17

I want one. :tongue_smilie:

http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Pack-Little-Backpack/dp/B003TJ9P64/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1313805075&sr=8-17

Too funny!

I am such a geek! In my desperate measure to get organized, they picked colors and animals that are each different for all of their personal things.

Homework mats, folders, backpacks, toothbrushes, dish set, etc.

Colton (the 6 month old) is green and FROGS! :lol: He has a frog bath towel even! :D

My oldest has been carrying the same Lands End backpack to school for 8 years. They come in different sizes. My littles have the smaller one. They upgrade to the bigger one in third grade. My oldest is a junior in high school, and his is still going strong. And they all have matching duffle bags for beach packing, too.

Too funny!

I am such a geek! In my desperate measure to get organized, they picked colors and animals that are each different for all of their personal things.

Homework mats, folders, backpacks, toothbrushes, dish set, etc.

Colton (the 6 month old) is green and FROGS! :lol: He has a frog bath towel even! :D

it will be VERY easy to buy for Colton. I *LOVE* frogs so I think he's a lucky boy.:001_smile:

This is so we can school at the dance academy when I work and such.

We call this "school in a bag".

That many backpacks all at once are going to set you back quite a bit, even if you find them cheap.

Why not use the color coding in a luggage/name tag, instead of the whole bag?

Have each kid draw their own tag. Then laminate paper, stick to hotel key or other piece of plastic (perhaps cut from some kind of packaging) with packing tape or Super 77, drill hole, use zip tie or key ring or cheap carabiner to attach.

That frees you up to use any kind of tote bag, messenger bag, or backpack. Our local thrifts tend to have bazillions. Some of the nicest are give-aways from professional conferences. The logos on them don't bother me, but if you'd prefer, you can always cover them with an applique. BTW, I've always washed thrifted bags on hot/delicate; they wash up quite nicely.

We find it much easier to use one large lunch box for the whole family.

Are you a Costco member (or is someone you know?) They have really nice backpacks on sale right now. I think I paid $16 or so for a backpack that seems like it should have been $50. And they had them in many colors.

Didn't even think of Costco! I am a member. :)

Now.....lunch bags???

I love frogs too! :D

We find it much easier to use one large lunch box for the whole family.

GREAT reminder! I just received 2 beautiful cooler bags for Christmas last year. Plus they already all have stainless bottles (except baby....well he has me! :D )

Maybe just get/shop at home for some dishes, silverware, napkins, etc.

Thinking.....

You could try swim backpacks. http://www.swimandtri.com/scripts/Speedo_Pro_Team_Backpack_Product2589.aspx

They certainly have colors. The bags come in two different sizes, one is larger and one smaller. (Couldn't find both sizes at this store right now, but I know they carry them. You could call for more info. These people are fantastic!)

Or from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-SP02211-Performance-Pro-Backpack/dp/B002N2YEDC They also have the small pack as a link on the page.

The larger pack is quite large. You could find a local swim shop and have a look. The smaller pack is a nice size for younger kids. It is also cheaper, of course!

Edited by Lolly

GREAT reminder! I just received 2 beautiful cooler bags for Christmas last year. Plus they already all have stainless bottles (except baby....well he has me! :D )

Maybe just get/shop at home for some dishes, silverware, napkins, etc.

Thinking.....

Cloth napkins make a nice "placemat", we seem to have accumulated a ton of them. I made some on my serger about 20 years ago and they're still going strong. Bandannas also make nice napkins, and you could color-code them.

The water bottles are an excellent choice!

I've accumulated a ton of lightweight, lose-able flatware to use in our lunchboxes. Much nicer to use than plastic, better for the environment, and cheaper.

We pack up dinner leftovers into single-serve containers as part of our dinner clean-up routine.

Oh my goodness those are just cuteness overload!

Oh and I second LL beans or Jansport. They also stand behind their backpacks. I had the same one as an early teen and up into my twenties. I gifted it to someone else. It was still going strong.

There is a Land's End outlet and they also back their products. I think its near Ridgedale but not at the mall. I think you can see it from 394. We have a couple that are many years old. They really hold up well.

Oh! Hmmm....trying to find address.

You know what....there is one in Woodbury and in Richfield. I am mixing up LLBean and Lands End. :D

We have backpacks from LLBean and Lands End, they seem about the same in quality. I'd wait until September/October (if you can). We bought our LE's then, and they were less than $10 each. The lunchboxes clear out for under $5.

I am trying to hold out. I want soooo badly to get them organized. :001_huh: