Menu

seeking gems for SOTW 1 that you never (or rarely) see recommended

After two years of American history, we are finally starting SOTW. I am way too excited! I've got almost everything purchased but I'm wondering about discoveries people have made that are not widely known.

For instance, I discovered 120 Step-by-Step History Projects, a treasure trove of activities, with clear instructions, simple supplies, and photos for every step. I have never seen it mentioned here and was surprised because it's great and perfect for SOTW.

Any others? :bigear:

Interactive 3D Maps: America

We used the first two when we were doing the Americas (SOTW 1), with the remaining ones to do as we continue along into the next volume and beyond!

Great Ancient China Projects You Can Build Yourself

DS liked a lot of the projects in the China one!

Good ones. Thanks! I actually own the first one because I have WP's American history program. I need the one about China projects. I have scant content on ancient China compared to Egypt, Rome and Greece.

I thought of another too. DS8 loves String, Straight-Edge & Shadow.

First People (Prehistoric Period)

The Secret Cave: Discovering Lascaux, Emily Arnold McCully

The Cave Painter of Lascaux The Cave Painter of Lascaux, Roberta Angeletti

Stone Age Boy, Satoshi Kitamura

Jewish Peoples

The Wisdom Bird: A Tale of Solomon and Sheba, Sheldon Oberman, Neil Waldman

Tower of Babel, A. S. Gadot, Cecilia Rebora

Noah's Ark (Caldecott Honor Book), Jerry Pinkney

Americas

The Chocolate Tree: A Mayan Folktale (On My Own Folklore), Linda Lowery, et al

China

The Silk Route: 7,000 Miles of History, John S. Major, Stephen Fieser

Ancient Near East (Coloring Book) Ancient Near East (Coloring Book), Bellerophon Books, Nancy Conkle

Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China's First Emperor, Jane Portal

Buddha, Demi

Cat and Rat: The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac (An Owlet Book), Ed Young

The Magical Monkey King: Mischief in Heaven, Ji-Li Jiang, Youshan Tang

Sam and the Lucky Money, Karen Chinn, et al

Africa

Sundiata: Lion King of Mali Sundiata: Lion King of Mali, David Wisniewski

Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales from Africa, Verna Aardema

A Story, a Story, Gail E. Haley

Rain Player Rain Player, David Wisniewski

India

Ancient India-Color Book, Bellerophon Books, Nancy Conkle

The Drum: A Folktale from India (Story Cove: a World of Stories), Rob Cleveland, Tom Wrenn

Rama and the Demon King: An Ancient Tale from India, Jessica Souhami

Middle East

The Magic Apple: A Folktale from the Middle East (Welcome to Story Cove), Rob Cleveland, Baird Hoffmire

My Sister Shahrazad: Tales from the Arabian Nights, Robert Leeson

The Stone: A Persian Legend of the Magi, Dianne Hofmeyr, Jude Daly

Australia/Oceania/Pacific Islands

Hina and the Sea of Stars Hina and the Sea of Stars, Michael Nordenstrom

Why Koala Has a Stumpy Tail (StoryCove: A World of Stories) Martha Hamilton, et al

Stories from the Billabong Stories from the Billabong, James Vance Marshall, Francis Firebrace

Sun Mother Wakes the World: An Australian Creation Story, Diane Wolkstein, Bronwyn Bancroft

Statues of Easter Island (Ancient Wonders of the World), Lenore Franzen

Early christians

The First Christmas, Paul L. Maier

I'm sure many above are on lists somewhere - but they're some of what I've used for SOTW 1.

First People (Prehistoric Period)

The Secret Cave: Discovering Lascaux, Emily Arnold McCully

The Cave Painter of Lascaux The Cave Painter of Lascaux, Roberta Angeletti

Stone Age Boy, Satoshi Kitamura

Jewish Peoples

The Wisdom Bird: A Tale of Solomon and Sheba, Sheldon Oberman, Neil Waldman

Tower of Babel, A. S. Gadot, Cecilia Rebora

Noah's Ark (Caldecott Honor Book), Jerry Pinkney

Americas

The Chocolate Tree: A Mayan Folktale (On My Own Folklore), Linda Lowery, et al

China

The Silk Route: 7,000 Miles of History, John S. Major, Stephen Fieser

Ancient Near East (Coloring Book) Ancient Near East (Coloring Book), Bellerophon Books, Nancy Conkle

Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China's First Emperor, Jane Portal

Buddha, Demi

Cat and Rat: The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac (An Owlet Book), Ed Young

The Magical Monkey King: Mischief in Heaven, Ji-Li Jiang, Youshan Tang

Sam and the Lucky Money, Karen Chinn, et al

Africa

Sundiata: Lion King of Mali Sundiata: Lion King of Mali, David Wisniewski

Misoso: Once Upon a Time Tales from Africa, Verna Aardema

A Story, a Story, Gail E. Haley

Rain Player Rain Player, David Wisniewski

India

Ancient India-Color Book, Bellerophon Books, Nancy Conkle

The Drum: A Folktale from India (Story Cove: a World of Stories), Rob Cleveland, Tom Wrenn

Rama and the Demon King: An Ancient Tale from India, Jessica Souhami

Middle East

The Magic Apple: A Folktale from the Middle East (Welcome to Story Cove), Rob Cleveland, Baird Hoffmire

My Sister Shahrazad: Tales from the Arabian Nights, Robert Leeson

The Stone: A Persian Legend of the Magi, Dianne Hofmeyr, Jude Daly

Australia/Oceania/Pacific Islands

Hina and the Sea of Stars Hina and the Sea of Stars, Michael Nordenstrom

Why Koala Has a Stumpy Tail (StoryCove: A World of Stories) Martha Hamilton, et al

Stories from the Billabong Stories from the Billabong, James Vance Marshall, Francis Firebrace

Sun Mother Wakes the World: An Australian Creation Story, Diane Wolkstein, Bronwyn Bancroft

Statues of Easter Island (Ancient Wonders of the World), Lenore Franzen

Early christians

The First Christmas, Paul L. Maier

I'm sure many above are on lists somewhere - but they're some of what I've used for SOTW 1.

Thanks! I haven't seen most of these commonly recommended. I look forward to checking them out!

Thanks! I haven't seen most of these commonly recommended. I look forward to checking them out!

When we did SOTW 1, I realized we had way too many things for Egypt, tons and tons for Greece and Rome, but hardly anything near the same quantity for the other areas - and - Australia/Islands/Oceania was not included. I started just searching through Amazon and one book led to another, led to another....I have more than listed - if there is an area you need some resources, let me know and I'll dig into the bookcase for history and see what else we have that we used....I know we had a couple of selections on the Great Wall of China in our mix and more folktales from India. I made up my own unit for Australia/Islands/Oceania to have something from the ancients since I also had incorporated geography with the history beyond the mapping in SOTW and I couldn't very well ignore a whole continent! The list above also is missing the usual recommendations that we did use too.

Edited by RahRah

For instance, I discovered 120 Step-by-Step History Projects, a treasure trove of activities, with clear instructions, simple supplies, and photos for every step. I have never seen it mentioned here and was surprised because it's great and perfect for SOTW.

Thank you! We are starting up with Ancients this fall, and this looks like an amazing resource.

The World Mythologies Series can help you study some of the non-Mediterranean/Northern European regions:

Remembering the World Mythologies Series of Illustrated Books

And for the Middle East, you might want to look at:

Watermelons, Walnuts and the Wisdom of Allah: And Other Tales of the Hoca

Edited by kubiac

There are so many great mythology books, especially for Greek and Roman, but the one we enjoyed the most is one I don't see mentioned a lot - The Island of the Minotaur by Sheldon Oberman. It's a longer picture book and was really good. The kids were really into it.

DD6 really loved Lugalbanda for over a year, I think, as a 4-5 y.o. It's "an epic tale from ancient Iraq" (Sumer). Lugalbanda is Gilgamesh's father. Translated from cuneiform tablets, as the informative introduction explains. The illustrations are detailed and enjoyable to look at. I have no idea why this isn't more widely recomended.

I made up my own unit for Australia/Islands/Oceania to have something from the ancients since I also had incorporated geography with the history beyond the mapping in SOTW and I couldn't very well ignore a whole continent!

Ooh, I'd love more about this, if it's east to share. I know that sometimes my plans are so messy it would be a lot of work to clean them up to share, so I don't want you to go to any trouble.

This would be on the tail end of your time period, but the virtual tour of the Ajanta Caves is great fun!

I think there are other virtual tours of World Heritage sites that would be neat to see, also--

The World Mythologies Series can help you study some of the non-Mediterranean/Northern European regions:

Remembering the World Mythologies Series of Illustrated Books

And for the Middle East, you might want to look at:

Watermelons, Walnuts and the Wisdom of Allah: And Other Tales of the Hoca

There are so many great mythology books, especially for Greek and Roman, but the one we enjoyed the most is one I don't see mentioned a lot - The Island of the Minotaur by Sheldon Oberman. It's a longer picture book and was really good. The kids were really into it.

Thanks! I'll look at all of these.

I don't know if you have seen this website, runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com

She has lapbooks and other things for sotw.

Allyson

I do have this. It is awesome but it frightens me. :lol: Peace Hill Press actually has a video on YouTube showing this lapbook in completed form. It's incredible!

DD6 really loved Lugalbanda for over a year, I think, as a 4-5 y.o. It's "an epic tale from ancient Iraq" (Sumer). Lugalbanda is Gilgamesh's father. Translated from cuneiform tablets, as the informative introduction explains. The illustrations are detailed and enjoyable to look at. I have no idea why this isn't more widely recomended.

Oh, I bought this one a few weeks ago after seeing it on someone's list. You're right that it's rarely recommended though. It is a very pretty, well-done book.

There are a lot of Aboriginal Australian Dreamtime stories in picture book format, these days. The two bestest ever in the whole world are Percy Trezise's "Turramulli and the Giant Quinkins" and "The Rainbow Serpent."

They are back in print, after about 10 years, but I can't find them online except on Abebooks :mad: My brother found them in a bookshop recently.

Rosie

Japanese Children's Favorite Stories is a truly wonderful book.

Beautiful book, thanks!

There are a lot of Aboriginal Australian Dreamtime stories in picture book format, these days. The two bestest ever in the whole world are Percy Trezise's "Turramulli and the Giant Quinkins" and "The Rainbow Serpent."

They are back in print, after about 10 years, but I can't find them online except on Abebooks :mad: My brother found them in a bookshop recently.

Rosie

I will look for these. Bummer about them being hard to find. :thumbdown: I'm sure it will be even harder here.