Menu

That was interesting! (trivia content)

First time that I have been in the middle of reading a thread, only to have it disappear on me! I was reading the -- speculatively preposterous -- thread about the 13-yo ready for college.

It is true that we should not automatically scoff at such claims, for in truly rare instances, they are factual. That poster, however, gave me pause. If the child were comprehending and performing at such a level, the mom should know the basics of how to proceed without consulting us. Just opinion. Interesting how the thread swelled to many pages so quickly!

I saw that last night. Sometimes I wonder if our Moderators go to the arcade every weekend to play "Whack-a-Mole." They need the practice, as trolls around here tend to pop right back up.

(This wasn't a '17 children on a homestead' troll. This was an 'uneducated teacher of gifted and imaginary students' troll, with a 6-month-old baby being homeschooled and an eleven-year-old practicing law. He only needed the college degree, he was already 'practicing the law.') :001_huh:

Please don't think it had anything to do with truly talented young teens who can and do go to college. This person had no concept of academia or the typical progression through the American educational system, and no idea how some families can either accelerate, double-up, or make an end run around that system. It was fake. Just my opinion.

(This wasn't a '17 children on a homestead' troll. This was an 'uneducated teacher of gifted and imaginary students' troll, with a 6-month-old baby being homeschooled and an eleven-year-old practicing law. He only needed the college degree, he was already 'practicing the law.') :001_huh:

Seriously? This situation ended up being posted in the thread? I shouldn't have gone to bed so early -- I missed all the good stuff!

Darn it, I missed the eleven-year-old practicing law. When am I going to learn to subscribe to these threads by e-mail?!

The things that tripped my "suspicious" meter:

- The poster's poor grasp of English grammar and punctuation.

- The absence of any detailed information about the child's high school preparation and/or resources they were already accessing (e.g., Davidson Young Scholars, EPGY. Johns Hopkins CTY).

- The fantasy homeschooling setup (several friends renting office space and making it into a mini-school where they each taught their own children).

- The idea that not one, but several of these children were going to be ready for college by early adolescence.

Darn it, I missed the eleven-year-old practicing law. When am I going to learn to subscribe to these threads by e-mail?!

- The absence of any detailed information about the child's high school preparation and/or resources they were already accessing (e.g., Davidson Young Scholars, EPGY. Johns Hopkins CTY).

- The fantasy homeschooling setup (several friends renting office space and making it into a mini-school where they each taught their own children).

- The idea that not one, but several of these children were going to be ready for college by early adolescence.

'zactly. I was OK with the original 13yo because we really do need to remember that not all posters are from the U.S. It might happen that someone from elsewhere has a very talented child and is doing wonderful things to help her, but hasn't quite grasped the language herself. (Of course, such a parent would probably be utilizing schools instead of homeschooling, but you never know.)

But then she mentioned more kids, unrelated to the original kid, etc., etc. Yup.

But the rented office space had a Library.

And a computer Lab.

But the rented office space had a Library.

And a computer Lab.

We have a homeschooling community center near us which is in rented office space. It does have a small library and a computer lab, as well as an art room, classrooms, etc. But it takes many, many families to keep that place afloat financially. Office space isn't cheap.

Ohh, so that's what happened to that thread. RATS! It was the last one I looked at last night before going to bed and I would have loved to see how it turned out. My first thought on reading the OP was "oh, no, here we go again". Then this morning when I couldn't find it, I began to think that maybe I had just imagined it. :001_smile:

Too bad it was over so quickly.....

I need to get a real life....:tongue_smilie: