Menu

Handwriting for K? Just can't pick.

Tiramisu

Any ideas?

In the past I've used Seton, but I'd just like to add something to my Rainbow Resource order so I don't have to pay extra shipping.

I'm not crazy about the look of HWT, but I appreciate the instruction. A Reason For Handwriting looks cute and might appeal to dd.

Italics?

FWIW, this dd knows her letters well and is reading but likes to challenge me on letter formation, as in starting the letter in a different place than I tell her or picking up the pencil when I say it's better to just trace up again. KWIM? Any program that could alleviate that struggle?

TIA!

I know the font of HWT might not be a favorite, but I do think that it is a very effective curriculum to teach kids where to start their letters, how to form the shapes, etc. HWT was developed by an occupational therapist. Her focus was helping children make correct letter formations. If you spend some time on their website you can learn the how and why of HWT. Everything, everything has a reason and is purposeful.

I'm finding with my dc that they use the stroke formation and sequence of HWT, but their handwriting does not look *exactly* like HWT font. They do, however, have legible and neat handwriting.

Especially with cursive, everyone will eventually find their own style once they know the letter formations.

I do think that one of the biggest strengths of HWT is how they teach numerals. Their method helps prevent reversals. I am a big fan of HWT numerals. Their number font also fits in well with the boxes that Singapore math uses in K and 1st.

FWIW, this dd knows her letters well and is reading but likes to challenge me on letter formation, as in starting the letter in a different place than I tell her or picking up the pencil when I say it's better to just trace up again. KWIM? Any program that could alleviate that struggle

This is what my DD does -we are having success with HWOT. :001_smile:

I plan to teach her another style when she is older

You can't buy it on RR, but I highly recommend Zaner Bloser. The shipping was reasonable. DS5 would cry every day during handwriting. We were doing CHC Handwriting which is ball and stick. We switched to ZB since it was recommended in WTM and it is now his favorite subject! By the way, if you want to mix ZB writing style and phonics, First Start Reading from Memoria Press is really good. We just started using it and DS5 loves it. Oh, and he also used to cry about phonics.... :party: