Menu

Why is it so hard to find clean wholesome books to read for my kids? Any ideas?

Hello!

This has been driving me crazy more and more as my son gets older. Alright I admit it. I am already crazy, lol. My son is going into 8th grade and I need books that he can read that don't include sex, cussing, or inappropriate behavior to name a few.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

Christina

Look at classics. I've been able to keep my boys going with reading books by looking back over fifty years. Calvin is currently reading Scaramouche. Hobbes is reading The Story of the Trapp Family Singers.

If you search on Amazon for the Puffin Classics and Oxford Childrens' Classics series, you should find some good ideas.

Laura

Bear in mind, people have different standards for "appropriate behavior" and even cussing--Peter Pan, for example, has some violence, disobedience against parents, cussing, and stereotyping against NA's.

I still find it a fun, interesting, and totally appropriate read, and I'm fairly strict on what dd can read (of course, she's just 11).

So just preview, even the classics.

I am consistently disappointed with the ratio of trash to literature in the book stores (local, private, as well as B&N) and I'm a liberal, non-censoring mom. (I do push off for age appropriateness)

I just bought this Readers Guide and can't say enough about it. Well worth the nominal fee, even if it's just a jumping off point.

I agree with looking at older books and classics. Even then, you won't be able to totally able to eliminate inferences, innuendos, mild cussing, and inappropriate behavior from "bad guys." However, it's not to hard to find books that don't make that their theme.

What kind of books are you looking for, literature or free reading?

I am just looking for books for him to read consistently. He reads in Science and Social Studies but of course he does try to skim just to answer questions. I want books that he can sit and read out loud because no matter how old he is, I think he could use the practice.

I am in total agreement with what people have said about most books have some kind of bad behavior or what not. I have no issue with that. At thirteen my ds is able to distinguish between good and bad. I just don't want him reading about perversion and constant bad language. As for violence to a point is no big deal. The games his dad lets him play against my better judgement have some violence. Just not blood and gore, kwim?

Thanks ladies,

Christina

I LOVE the 1001 books in my siggie. I have found some really cool authors that I either forgot about after I grew up or discovered authors I never knew about. It's how I found William Steig. Who knew? LOVE the guy. And Patricia Polacco. Your DS may be too old for her stuff but the older Steig books might be great for him.

I am consistently disappointed with the ratio of trash to literature in the book stores (local, private, as well as B&N) and I'm a liberal, non-censoring mom. (I do push off for age appropriateness)

I just bought this Readers Guide and can't say enough about it. Well worth the nominal fee, even if it's just a jumping off point.

thank you I will check into it... wow it is cheap! Which works for me,lol.

I LOVE the 1001 books in my siggie. I have found some really cool authors that I either forgot about after I grew up or discovered authors I never knew about. It's how I found William Steig. Who knew? LOVE the guy. And Patricia Polacco. Your DS may be too old for her stuff but the older Steig books might be great for him.

I think William is great! These are good books for my daughter who is just started reading. Think my ds would be bored because he would say they are "baby books". I will have to get some of these to read with my daughter. Thanks!