Food Police

Would this annoy you?  

1. 1. Would this annoy you?

• yes
    • no

Portland sounds like a land of sanity :D

Bill

:ack2:

Man, have you not seen Portlandia? We're weird, OK? Weird. :glare: If you start calling us sane, people might try to peel back our meticulously constructed and maintained (and aren't maintenance costs always the killer?) veneer of, yes, weirdness.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:ack2:

Man, have you not seen Portlandia? We're weird, OK? Weird. :glare: If you start calling us sane, people might try to peel back our meticulously constructed and maintained (and aren't maintenance costs always the killer?) veneer of, yes, weirdness.

That's what I mean. Weird :D

Berkeley is where people are sane.

Bill

a) i didn't read all the answers.

b) i've led activities for a whole lot of years, and i can well see why the list is restrictive....

in no particular order

soda leads to

kids going nuts do to sugar and dyes

some kids feeling jealous because they don't have it

some kids grabbing the can and shaking it and then opening it and spraying everyone which leads to bees and stings and sticky hair and and and

some kids using the can as a weapon

spills

etc. etc...

and its actually okay for kids to go without soda for a few hours.....

so not only would it not bother me, i'd be encouraging the choice. its a sign that the folks leading have a fair bit of experience, which is a good thing.

ie. this bit of it likely has nothing to do with "food police"

life is too short. really....

I'm pretty amazed at some of the responses that say they would demand a refund, they would send it anyway, and so forth. If the banned list truly is ridiculous or appears nonsensical, then yes, I might address it. But surely it would make sense to ask if there were valid reasons behind the list, and to ask that those reasons (if they exist) be printed along with the list. And, if the reasons don't exist, to politely ask that the policy be reconsidered, or politely bow out of the activity.

Rules like "Please limit sticky and sweet items" don't get through to many people. That's why a specific list is often required, silly as it seems.

I run some local classes, and I promise you that I have never needed anyone's money badly enough to put up with defiant Twinkie smugglers. If a child has a forbidden item, I will put it on the side for them to take home and offer a substitute. If a parent comes in with guns blazing after that, I will happily refund their money. Heck, I might even give them a little extra, if they promise never to come back ;)

:iagree:

Nice! I loved GS and I loved sewing my badges on my sash. I miss GS.

What's the rest of the list. Inquiring minds want to know. I was once part of a Waldorf parent-child playgroup with a super long list of don'ts. One of the rules was no plastic sippy cups. The children drank from cute teeny tiny metal camp mugs. Also, no food with dyes, nothing that wasn't whole, hats and undershirts (preferably wool & silk blend-- not enforced, but they spoke of keeping the body warn, although they never did a T -shirt check ;) ) and oh, no clothing with characters or words.

I knew it going in and I was thinking 'a tad nuts' but I loved that little program. So gentle and sweet and the teacher baked us bread every Friday. Loved walking into that room on Friday mornings. :) And I do think the layers on the children helped keep them mellow. ;) lol

If we hadn't moved, we'd have moved heaven and earth to get our son into a Waldorf charter school. I used to think their rules were nuts, but as my off the charts smart and emotional boy grows, I find myself voluntarily imposing their rules in my house.

Back to the OP. Soda is bad for growing bones and not good for hydration. I hadn't thought about the bees, but I've chaperoned where a kid has been stung from a bee hiding in the soda can. It is terrifying even if the kid isn't allergic to stings. I've not been to any local camps that have allowed soda, and its never crossed my radar to send it in with my son.

I no longer have the list because I went out an purchased the stuff for her bag dinner and threw it away but it included

Gum, candy, and soda and then a whole list of brand names or products that could contain nut residue.

Like I said, I didn't mind the allergy part it was just hard to shop when I am not used to thinking like that. For example one brand of pretzel is not acceptable because of how they were processed.

My boys either have attended or are currently attending day camp for cub scouts. They also send out information asking people NOT to send soda or juice or candy with lunches. There are many reasons for this, but one of the major ones has to do with these cans/juices attracting wasps, bees, hornets, yellow-jackets, etc. The other reason is keeping the boys properly hydrated & juice & soda really doesn't cut it.

It's never bothered me.

My kids are allowed soda as a special treat now & then. We don't drink either juice or soda regularly (as in, I don't keep it on-hand at home).

If we had anyone who brought soda, I would probably put it on a banned list. It spills easily and is a pain in the but to clean up. (Especially when someone shakes it before opening.) I also don't care much for Capri Suns... I've seen kids put them on the floor and jump on them, so they squirt everywhere.

So- it might not be the food police (unless they also include candy on the banned list,) it might be the cleaners.

If we had anyone who brought soda, I would probably put it on a banned list. It spills easily and is a pain in the but to clean up. (Especially when someone shakes it before opening.) I also don't care much for Capri Suns... I've seen kids put them on the floor and jump on them, so they squirt everywhere.

So- it might not be the food police (unless they also include candy on the banned list,) it might be the cleaners.

If you are going to ban everything that kids can do something stupid with you might want to start listing the two or three items they are allowed to bring instead.

What's the rest of the list. Inquiring minds want to know. I was once part of a Waldorf parent-child playgroup with a super long list of don'ts. One of the rules was no plastic sippy cups. The children drank from cute teeny tiny metal camp mugs. Also, no food with dyes, nothing that wasn't whole, hats and undershirts (preferably wool & silk blend-- not enforced, but they spoke of keeping the body warn, although they never did a T -shirt check ;) ) and oh, no clothing with characters or words.

Maybe that's where the preschool co-op with the 3 page long list of food "no-no's" got their inspiration :tongue_smilie:

Moderation is key, even in healthy eating. If you want to be some Food Nazi obsessed with the thought that your child might eat "impure" food, go right ahead. Just don't impose your paranoia on the rest of us!

DD the Younger just got back from a camp at which no electronics were permitted. Does this infringe on my right as a parent to decide where and when my child can use a Game Boy or an iPod? Should I be outraged? Are my rules the only ones that count, even outside of my home?

Nice! I loved GS and I loved sewing my badges on my sash. I miss GS.

I knew it going in and I was thinking 'a tad nuts' but I loved that little program. So gentle and sweet and the teacher baked us bread every Friday. Loved walking into that room on Friday mornings. :) And I do think the layers on the children helped keep them mellow. ;) lol

Dd and I would screw up the whole hat/T-shirt thing. We are allergic to wool. :lol: Oh, speaking of allergies, can you imagine if my urticaria were raging when I was a kid. My mom would probably demand "no air conditioning" because of how badly I react to sudden temp changes.

Maybe that's where the preschool co-op with the 3 page long list of food "no-no's" got their inspiration :tongue_smilie:

Moderation is key, even in healthy eating. If you want to be some Food Nazi obsessed with the thought that your child might eat "impure" food, go right ahead. Just don't impose your paranoia on the rest of us!

What is this moderation you speak of when you keeping equating a private children's camp program --which is simply asking families to hold off on soda for lunch for 5 days --with the murder of 6 million Jews and 6 millions other souls? You might want to reconsider your continuous and insensitive use of your Nazi phrase.

Edited by LibraryLover